What's new

Rockwell 6S and the Taming of the Blade

So, I’m kind of in a pickle. I’ve been using my new 6S for a week now with my go-to blade: Treet Platinum.

Here’s my conundrum. The razor is very smooth and mild, extremely easy to shave with, but I think it sort of tames my already mild-ish blade. the sweet spot plate for me is R3, going higher begins irritating my very sensitive face. But, plate R3 doesn’t give me the closeness I’m looking for without way too much touch-up action, which begins to irritate my face. I love the overall feel of the razor but I don’t think the Treet Platinum performs well enough with a milder plate.

Has anyone else found the same issue with your chosen blades? Where the razor tames it too much? Did you have better luck with a different blade, and if so which?

Maybe the razor just isn’t for me, who knows. Maybe I just want it to work out more than I should, and should chalk it up to failed experimentation. Who knows.

Sounds to me that you need to try more blades. IMO, everyone should have 3 or 4 blades that they like. Some smoother, some keener. When using different razors the need for different blades is a must.

I”ve actually tried many, many different blades in a lot of different configurations, some I liked, most I didn’t. What I found through it all was that the Treet Platinum works really well in three of my four razors, the S6 being the exception. Which is why my question was very S6 specific.

Everyone is different. In my Rockwell i like the 5 or 6 plates. 1 through 4 just dont get the job done.
So you now have a reason to try even more blades to find the one blade that matches your Rockwell. Its all part of the fun of the game.

Treet Platinum is a great blade in an aggressive razor. I would try something sharper, Treet 7 Days platinum, Gillette platinum, NACET, maybe a permasharp?

I have heard alot of people say that german Wilkinson sword blades work very well in the 6S/C.

Treet Platinum is a great blade in an aggressive razor. I would try something sharper, Treet 7 Days platinum, Gillette platinum, NACET, maybe a permasharp?

I have heard alot of people say that german Wilkinson sword blades work very well in the 6S/C.

I have both the Gillette Platinum and Wilkinson Sword blades from a sample pack I picked up at the beginning of the year. I’ll give one of them a shot in plate 3 today… before the Dodger game of course!

Thanks for the suggestion

I hear Nacet mentioned a lot, but its never included in any of the sample packs I’ve ever gotten for some reason

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Maybe stick with it exclusively for a good 2+ weeks and try to find your angle. Otherwise, yes, I too have certain razors that I can't get into a groove with certain blades.

I have the Rockwell 6C (not the 6S), and on plate R4, with a Gillette Nacet blade ----- sublime shaving indeed !

Todays shave with the 6S was with a Gillette Platinum on plate 3. was doing pretty good, better than the Treet for sure, but still felt like it wasn’t getting the closeness I’m looking for, so switched to plate 4 for the final pass. Got a couple nicks, not gonna lie. But I may have been rushing it some. Tomorrow I’ll go at it with the same blade on plate 4 and see how it goes. I’m expecting good things!

Ok, welp…. I officially do not care for this razor. Which is a shame seeing as I spent a hundred bucks on it. I tried different combinations and it’s just not working out for me. I shouldn’t have to work this hard to make myself like something enough to continue using it. Cars, motorcycles, yes. Razors? Nope.

So, today I went with my Gillette Slim + Wilkinson Sword, and what an awesome shave! THAT I like!

The Rockwell may be for sale here if I decide not to keep it.

There is something else to consider and that is blade rigidity.
I have a 6S and was having issues with it for a while, until reading up about rigidity. I took a spent blade and (using a pair of tin snips) cut the cutting edge off. I then used the 'shim' along with a regular blade. I found that my shaves were a whole lot better with the shim than without it. It may help you with your 6S.

Here is my post about it.

Here is the post that got me to try it.

There is something else to consider and that is blade rigidity.
I have a 6S and was having issues with it for a while, until reading up about rigidity. I took a spent blade and (using a pair of tin snips) cut the cutting edge off. I then used the 'shim' along with a regular blade. I found that my shaves were a whole lot better with the shim than without it. It may help you with your 6S.

Here is my post about it.

Here is the post that got me to try it.
Hmm, interesting. So the “shim”goes between the blade and the baseplate It would seem (per the thread that got you to try it). And no noticeable difference in feel from what I would imagine would be a larger blade gap?

The 6S is possibly one of the most comfortable, yet efficient (with the right blade) razors I've used, and I've used 18+, based on a quick count in my head. I typically use blades on the sharper end, the likes of Feather, Nacets, Pol-Silvers, and Rapira Platinum Lux, and all of those give a super comfortable shave with the R6 plate. - I've long since worked my my way up through the plates, and just use R6, which is smooth/comfortable enough to do an ATG Pass right off the bat, even in the mustache area for DFS/near-BBS in one pass. I then follow up with a combination WTG/XTG for clean up, and bam BBS with maybe 1-2 touch-ups in the challenging areas. (Sides of the chin, and edges/corners of the mouth).

Seriously, chock in a Feather, Pol-Silver, Nacet, or one of the other sharper blades and enjoy a great shave.

Sounds to me that you need to try more blades. IMO, everyone should have 3 or 4 blades that they like. Some smoother, some keener. When using different razors the need for different blades is a must.
Yes, I find that some blades work better in different razors. Some blades for me don't work well in any of my razors.

Case in point - I had been using a Gillette 7 o'clock black in my Muhle R41 franken-razor (Muhle R41 head with a Weber SS handle) and my shaves were, meh. After reading another thread about using sharper blades in the R41, I switched to a Kai blade and got much better results.

Hmm, interesting. So the “shim”goes between the blade and the baseplate It would seem (per the thread that got you to try it). And no noticeable difference in feel from what I would imagine would be a larger blade gap?
As far as I remember, there was little noticeable difference in the blade feel.

Top Bottom