What's new

Rockwell 6S and Karve CB (Brass) Comparison

After using a EJ DE89 for 8 years I recently decided to upgrade. Not knowing what would feel best for me I wanted to go the adjustable route and ended up buying both a Rockwell 6S and a Karve CB (with plates OC-B, SB-B, SB-C, and SB-D). Here is a comparison after a couple months of shaving with both razors and trying most the plates using a rating system across several categories.

Price:

Maggards sells the Karve with 1 plate of your choice for $83 shipped however to get additional plates it's another $24 per plate so everything I bought set me back $155 while the Rockwell 6S with 6 plates goes for $120. The Rockwell is better out the gate if you don't know what you need and want to experiment but I prefer the flexibility the Karve gives in deciding what plates you pay for. To me they're a draw in this category.

Build Quality & Durability:

Both are top notch and BIFL razors. I found no QC issues with either razor. I suppose the stainless steel of the 6S is technically a bit more durable than the brass of the Karve so I'll give the Rockwell the edge in this category but they're both durable enough to satisfy my requirements.

Aesthetic Appeal:

The Rockwell 6S is widely reviewed to be very utilitarian in design and my experience confirms that. It would fit in better in a garage tool box than on a shelf next to other high end razors. The Karve brass might not be for everyone, especially once it patinas, but I love the look and it looks very high end especially next to the Rockwell. For me this is the least important category and would only be considered if all other categories were tied but the Karve is vastly superior in this category.

Head Design:

A lot of people complain about the Rockwell head being bulky and making it difficult to shave under the nose. I noticed the head was basically the same size as my old EJ DE89 so it didn't stand out as large to me until I compared it to the Karve. The Karve head is very slim and makes it both easy to shave under the nose and easier to shave my beard line with since I can more precisely see where the blade is landing. A negative consequence of the design of the Karve head is I found it more difficult to mindlessly find the ideal shave angle. I could find it but I had to pay closer attention and occasionally correct my angle. With the Rockwell I never had to give it a thought. I score these at a draw.

Plate Options, Plate Comparison, and Shave Quality:

I tested the Rockwell plates 3 through 6 and all the Karve plates I bought (OC-B, SB-B, SB-C, and SB-D).

The Rockwell plates provide a narrower range in aggressiveness than Karve does but they also provide more precision within that range. To expand on that statement; here is the order I would rank the plates I tested in from least to most aggressive and my feedback for each plate using a 2 pass shave (WTG and XTG):

1. Karve SB-B - Due to the neutral blade exposure of this plate and the design of the Karve head I had trouble finding the right blade angle because I couldn't feel the blade at all. Poor shave overall with lots of rough feeling stubble leftover.
  2. Rockwell 3 - Adequate, mindless, low effort shave, some stubble left over. This plate felt the most similar to my EJ DE89.
  3. Rockwell 4 - Pretty good, mindless, low blade feel, low effort shave with improved efficiency. My favorite Rockwell plate.
  4. Karve SB-C - Very good shave, smoother feeling than the Rockwell 4. Slight blade feel and I do have to pay a little closer attention to get the right blade angle and not use too much pressure or I can nick myself but if I'm paying attention this gave me the best shave of the whole list. My favorite Karve plate.
  5. Rockwell 5 - Harsher than plate 4 without a worthwhile improvement in efficiency. Pretty similar to the Karve CB-C but I think the Karve provided a better shave.
  6. Karve OC-B - This was a lot harsher than I expected it to be and I nicked myself in a couple places but I've never used an open comb plate before. Probably need to improve my technique and practice this one more.
  7. Rockwell 6 - Harsher than plate 4/5 without a worthwhile improvement in efficiency
  8. Karve SB-D - Got a very smooth shave from this but despite being extremely careful I walked away with some bad razor burn.
I preferred the Karve with the SB-C plate over any of the Rockwell plates but it does require slightly better technique and I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone brand new to the hobby. The Rockwell would be better for a DE newbie. I would also note that you can get Karve plates in E, F, G in both open and closed comb whereas the Rockwell only goes up to 6 so if you like an aggressive razor go with the Karve. Karve wins this one for me.

Conclusion

They're tied in price, the Rockwell wins in durability, the Karve wins in aesthetic appeal, I tied them in head design (Rockwell head is bulky by Karve head is more difficult to find the blade angle with), and in the most important category of shave quality and plate options I preferred the Karve however this category is very subjective and I could see many people preferring the Rockwell.

I kept the Karve and sold the Rockwell but they're both great razors and I would have been happy keeping the Rockwell if the Karve didn't exist.

Thanks for your report. I owned the CB as well, with oc-B and sb-C plates. While I thought I would like the SB better, the OC was my favorite, so I wouldn’t part with it too soon.

ps: I found the Masamune OC even better.
ps2: both were outperformed by a RR GC.84P, the only DE razor I currently still have (next to some injector and SE razors)

Good review. I own both razors but enjoy a mild shave so use the 3 plate on the Rockwell and the A plate on the Karve. Two of my favorite razors. The patina on my Karve is a thing of beauty while the Rockwell looks very industrial, but both work well for me.

Interesting review. My preference is the Rockwell over the Karve even though they are both good shavers.

My favorite plate is setting 6. It has enough blade feel with perfect efficiency to comfort level. For Karve, I go between OC-D plate and the G plate. I find the OC-D a little harsh at times but with attention, it can give a really close shave. SB-G plate feels not as harsh (suprisingly) and gives an enjoyable shave. I tried SB-C and it was a little too mild/not efficient for my taste.

I was never able to get a ''true'' BBS with the my 6S even with on plate 6 with a Feather blade. I suppose if I didn't care that much about BBS, the 6S would have been a great razor, but cleaning up my neck and chin area with the 6S takes a lot of time and it's just not working. I'm honestly amazed by how many people praise the Rockwell razors, given that some people own much more expensive and precise razors.

Great review. Personally, I find the Karve C-SB better than the Rockwell 4 or 5 (more efficient and smoother). I never really liked either the Karve D-SB (I never went above that) or the Rockwell 6--neither were comfortable enough on my face. For the price, you cannot beat the Rockwell. It's my goto travel shaver and always love it.

Great review. Personally, I find the Karve C-SB better than the Rockwell 4 or 5 (more efficient and smoother). I never really liked either the Karve D-SB (I never went above that) or the Rockwell 6--neither were comfortable enough on my face. For the price, you cannot beat the Rockwell. It's my goto travel shaver and always love it.
My experience was close to yours. I found the C-SB to be significantly more efficient than the Rockwell 4 or 5 but I'm not sure that it felt smoother. It was pretty similar or maybe a touch less smooth to me just because I noticed more blade feel with the Karve but the step up in efficiency is worth it.

Reactions: Kix
I have both razors, and they're both in the rotation. My preferred plate for the Rockwell 6S is R6 (wish there was an R7), and my preferred plate for the Karve is SB "F".

I like them both a lot, but if I had to pick one, it would be the Rockwell.
Curious, does the KB head fit on the Rockwell handle? I think they use the same tread pitch (#1-023), correct?

Interesting and nice review. I too have the Karve B-SB and it felt like I was shaving my face with a wet rag (too mild, no feel) which was a horrible shave.

I then tried a C-SB and that was a much better shave. I wonder now about the D-SB but I will go broke if I have to try all these plates one by one so I may hold at the "C".

I prefer the Karve CB (D plate) over the 6S (R6 plate). Both are solid razors.

The Karve delivers a closer shave. I think the D plate has more exposure than the R6 plate. Also, the Karve has a more refined appearance. The 6S looks like a wrench.

I have no plans on getting rid of either razor. Keepers.
does the krave heads fit on the rockwell handles. i believe they both use the non-standard / older 10-32 tread?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
My only complaint with the rockwell is due to the thickness of the top cap. It’s more difficult to shave under my nose.
Yes, this is my observation too.
Some people complain about the head size of the 6s, but it is actually because of the thickness of the cap edge that reduces the efficiency under the nose, not about the thickness of the base plate.

Although the cap of 6s has a similar appearance to merkur/muhle, its edge is even thicker than the latter two.
Guess this is another compromise made by Rockwell to reduce MIM yield problems and subsequent processing, just like their non-circular screws.

Aside from their various "compromises", I do enjoy using my 6s.

Top Bottom