What's new

rockwell 6s all plates

i am brand new to safety razors and my first purchase is the rockwell 6s. I am currently using feather blades as my first blades with this razor and I am still experimenting with the different plates. I have an extremely thick/course beard and I do not shave every day, more like every 3rd day (although now I find myself shaving more often just to use this amazing razor). I am using plate #'s 5 and 6 so far when shaving every third day, but plate # 4 for daily shaves with the closest/smoothest shaves I have ever experienced with ZERO irritation (something I could never achieve in the past 20+ years of shaving with those 3,4,or 5 blade disposables). this razor actually makes me look forward to shaving. so anyway, I would like some advise from someone that shaves with the rockwell 6s. can someone recommend a particular blade for that razor? also, why can't I seem to shave off any facial hair with plate #'s 1,2, or 3? poor technique? or is it because I have only tried those three plates after shaving with a #4 and I was trying to shave closer than the #4 got me, which was already bbs? I would be very happy for anyone's input. thanks, Jeff

First, welcome to B&B, Jeff.

Some questions:
  1. Have you mapped the pattern of your beard to determine what direction is with the grain (WTG) and against the grain (ATG)?
  2. How many passes do you do when you shave and in what direction (WTG, XTG, or ATG)?
  3. If you are getting BBS shave with plate 4, why do you want to go closer?
  4. Why do you want to switch from Feather blades?
As for blades, I would recommend you try a sampler pack and see what works best for you. Blades are a matter of individual preference. Many folks may chime in what their favorite blade may be - but that blade might not be what works best for you.

I shave with the grain, 2-3 passes. I thought after a #4 I could go closer and smoother with a #1 or #2. the only blades I have ever used are feather. I know many people have stated feather blades are very good or the best in certain razors. I just wanted to know what the best blade is specifically in the rockwell 6s. I guess I'll have to get a sampler pack of blades. thanks for any help, Jeff

I would stick to one plate. Try one pass WTG, one XTG, and another XTG in the other direction. Once you get that down, you can try an ATG pass.

I happen to prefer the Personna Labs or Medical Prep blades. However, they work FOR ME in all of my DE razors.

Blades are very subjective. I have a 6C and usually have been using plate 2. I just recently started using plate 3 with an Astra SP. So far I have only used the Astra and Rockwell blades. I plan on trying a German Wilkinson Sword next time I need a new blade.

thanks for the advice ackvil. the #4 gives very, very close shaves. no real need for going down in plate #'s.

The lower plates produce less gap and with this particular razor design, are less efficient and better for those with lighter growth. The lowest plate I've used is 2 and it will do the job but I have to compensate for the reduced gap by using very sharp blades and rinsing more frequently.

If you haven't tried Kai, I suggest getting some samples (Tryablade is a good place for that). For daily shaving I use a Kai on its first use with plate 3, then move to plate 4 for the next few shaves. Kai blades provide me with a great balance of sharpness and smoothness and seem to work better for me in the 6s than they do in vintage designs.

I rotate many different razors on non-working days including vintage and modern but the Rockwell 6s is in the driver's seat on early morning work day shaves.

proxy.php

I’ve used a 6S & now have a 6C. I have liked using GSB, Astra SP, and 7 o’clock black blades. Of those three, the GSB’s suit me best.

Welcome aboard!

Looks like you are doing just fine to me!

I suggest sticking with your current (and very excellent) setup for a good while. Given your excellent results, you may not want to change up anything. When you do make changes, I suggest one thing at a time.

Mostly, ENJOY your shaves!

later today when I'm not too busy I plan on purchasing some new blades from "the river". either BAILI platinum+ double edge safety razor blades, or kai stainless steel double edge razor blades. can anyone here shed some light o these 2? Especially the BAILI's as I have not heard much about these at all.thanks again, Jeff p.s. I won't be using my computer again for a few hours as I am stepping out at the moment but I am anticipating some info in a couple hours when I return home.

I have a 6c, the cheaper brother of the 6s. I was not impressed until I popped in a Nacet and now it's one of the best, smoothest shaves I can get (plate 5 for me).

emwolf, you are not the first person to suggest a nacet blade in the 6s/6c. I'll look into these blades.

is anyone familiar with BAILI platinum+ double edge safety razor blades in a rockwell 6s? how about kai stainless steel double edge razor blades in the 6s? I have found very little kai/6s combo information and nothing on the BAILI/6s combo. Actually I haven't found any info on the BAILI blades at all. thanks for any help, Jeff

I just ordered a 5 pack of the BAILI blades for my 6s for $5.95. these blades didn't have any reviews so I'm taking a risk paying over $1 per blade. I am hoping for the best.

is anyone familiar with BAILI platinum+ double edge safety razor blades in a rockwell 6s? how about kai stainless steel double edge razor blades in the 6s? I have found very little kai/6s combo information and nothing on the BAILI/6s combo. Actually I haven't found any info on the BAILI blades at all. thanks for any help, Jeff

I find the Kai blades to be particularly effective in the 6s, especially in the lower plates such as 2 and 3.

I received my new baili blades today. after using one in my rockwell 6s with plate #6 I will not be using anymore. the shave irritated my skin and didn't get close at all. I will go back to my feather blades for now which shaves bbs without ANY irritation at all with plate #6. I would like to find a blade in the 6s that overhangs further out so I can get a shave that is more aggressive with a lower # plate. that way I can go up in the plates if I don't shave often (I have a very thick/coarse beard). i find so far I need plate #6 just to shave close enough. Jeff

are kai's really "wider" than others? if so i am VERY interested in trying these in my rockwell 6s. Jeff

Top Bottom