What's new

Rockwell 6c

Just purchased the above razor after using the Merkur 34C for 5 years. After about half a dozen shaves I seem to get some weepers in the chin
area that I never got with the Merkur, I'm using the same blade GSB with a Stirling soap, not sure if its my technique, also the Rockwell feels somewhat heavier, from what Ive read most guys prefer the Rockwell but will try it for another week or two but I'm thinking the 34C might get my vote. I always do a 2 pass shave.

Sorry guys I should have mentioned this before, been using plate 3 because what I’ve read it was closest to Merkur 34.

On Plate 3, the razor shaves like it has safety on. Go very easy on the pressure and shave angle as the head has different dimensions than the merkur head. As you mention, it's heavier, the weight will do the job without any extra pressure.

It always takes a few shaves to get used to the geometry of a new razor, especially in your case after using a 34C for 5 years. If you're getting the weepers on your 2nd pass, try using a milder plate for that pass. With my Rockwell 6C I would usually use plate 4 for my first pass and plate 2 for my second pass.

As others have mentioned, you may be inadvertently using too much pressure with the heavier Rockwell. One trick that helped me is to use a more aggressive plate than usual (say 4 or 5) for both passes. This will force you to be really careful and use light/no pressure.

When I started using a 6S I found I was using more pressure than necessary with plate 4. Once I started shaving with a lighter touch and COLD water things got nearly perfect.

Top Bottom