What's new

Rockwell 6C thread issue

The photos are of my Rockwell 6C that I just purchased. I’ve shaved several times and I’ve settled on the #2/4 plate. But while changing the plate and the blade I noticed that I had to push on the head in order to get it to start to thread. Thats when I noticed that the two pins were not seated completely. By comparison I’ve taken a photo of my EJ DB89. The EJ is a three piece razor like the Rockwell but the photo shows full seating of the pins.

Is this an issue? I had a Rockwell 2 and I don’t remember this. The 2/4 base plate seems very thick compared to the EJ

Rockwell 6C 1.jpeg
EJ DB89 2.jpeg
Rockwell 6C 3.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would contact who you bought it off and then Rockwell. It just doesn’t look right to me.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
If it does not happen every time, sometimes the blade is not fully positioned, so that its center interferes with the thread, so the plate cannot be fully inserted.

Please observe again to see which detail has interfered.

I have contacted Rockwell and I'm waiting for a response. My first email without photos attached was acknowledged and requested the missing photos. I've sent a follow-up with the photos and explained that I didn't request compensation just an explanation. I'm still waiting on Rockwell.
I sincerely don't expect much from them. My experience with "boutique" manufacturer's are that they are often overwhelmed by production and shipping to bother with issues of this nature. The razor was purchased used.
If as someone has mentioned that the issue is related to quality not caught by QC and new base plates are necessary it will be a lesson not to get involved with lesser manufacturers and stick to the majors: Gillette, Edwin Jagger, Mehule.

Last edited:
Had QC issues with my 6C over 3 years ago. You would think they would produce razors with less issues at some point. I still see QC issues posted about the 6S to this day too. I've since moved on, but good luck on getting your issue resolved.

[QUOTE = "Lee93, сообщение: 11218460, участник: 132071"]
[USER = 316] @ Bflotom2 [/ USER]

Та же проблема с пластиной R4.

View attachment 1251682
View attachment 1251683
View attachment 1251684View attachment 1251685
[/ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]
On my Rockwell, on all the plates, the pins do not come out of the plate from the bottom. The pins are recessed by about 1 mm. I have been shaving for more than 2 years. There is no problem. But the lid is inserted into the plate without effort.

[QUOTE = "Lee93, сообщение: 11218460, участник: 132071"]
[USER = 316] @ Bflotom2 [/ USER]

Та же проблема с пластиной R4.

View attachment 1251682
View attachment 1251683
View attachment 1251684View attachment 1251685
[/ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]
On my Rockwell, on all the plates, the pins do not come out of the plate from the bottom. The pins are recessed by about 1 mm. I have been shaving for more than 2 years. There is no problem. But the lid is inserted into the plate without effort.

Yes, in mine too. I think because the plates are big, but on the R4 plate on one side there is more empty space where the pin fits. It's a small QC issue, but the razor shaves well and the blade looks aligned. I didn't find it necessary to ask for a new plate. But maybe the OP has to.

[/QUOTE]
Thats is the problem; the top cap doesn't thread to the handle without pushing on it and holding it place while threading the handle to it. It works but how long before this will weaken the stud or strips the handle threads. And as someone said earlier they had a QC problem with Rockwell 6 years ago. If your on top of your game and your having QC problems whether minor or major you should address them immediately. And address them consistently with the same result. Don't just send a replacement when in suits your purpose and otherwise not. Addressing manufacturing issues adds to your long term plan of increasing customers & market share. Otherwise your no better then the 3rd world manufacturers who's only presents in the US market is to sell cheap, fast and leave nothing behind.

To bring this topic up to date...I contacted Rockwell with the photos asking what if anything could be done. I heard from them today and they are sending a replacement handle. Their response was:
"Threading issues like this are typically quite rare, but they can happen. We've since upgraded the inner threads of the razor to be stainless steel to prevent this"
I am paying the S&H on the handle which is OK because I purchased the razor 2nd hand. I'll let you know if this new handle will correct the problem.

To bring this topic up to date...I contacted Rockwell with the photos asking what if anything could be done. I heard from them today and they are sending a replacement handle. Their response was:
"Threading issues like this are typically quite rare, but they can happen. We've since upgraded the inner threads of the razor to be stainless steel to prevent this"
I am paying the S&H on the handle which is OK because I purchased the razor 2nd hand. I'll let you know if this new handle will correct the problem.

Why they sent the handle instead of a new top cap?

Why they sent the handle instead of a new top cap?
I’m not really sure. The change in the thread they mention may change the pitch of the thread pulling the head in fully. I’m not convinced but I’m willing to work with them.

This is one of the reasons I haven’t bought one yet. Everyone seems to love the razor, as long as they get a good one.

The SS version is more desirable, but I have heard that the QC is worse than the C version.

They claim only the SS version has a lifetime warranty, in their FAQ, but I see in the description of the C that it is guaranteed for life.

And I have heard that the C version glides better.

Too many pluses and minuses to balance.

R

romsitsa

Do I understand correctly, they changed the thread in the handle to steel but the thread of the cap remained zamak?
This is not a good combination, hope they changed both to steel.

Do I understand correctly, they changed the thread in the handle to steel but the thread of the cap remained zamak?
This is not a good combination, hope they changed both to steel.
It's the perfect combination- the SS threads will press-form the zamak. It may oxidize a little faster, but zamak will last a lifetime, right?:rolleyes1

Zamak=meth. Bright, glitzy & pretty, when you first try it, then...
1618931823746.png

As is often said: too soon old...too late smart. I agree with you Razor Man the few times I shaved with the razor it really was a keeper BUT the QC issues has overcome that small satisfaction. I'll continue buying the established majors (Edwin Jagger, Merkur, Muhle) and leave the "boutique" manufacturers to people with more time to fool around with them.
Search the various shave site for razor issues-I don't mean preferences but QC issues. Those 3 makers are much less likely to come up in a search then; Rockwell, Viking, and others like them.

It's the perfect combination- the SS threads will press-form the zamak. It may oxidize a little faster, but zamak will last a lifetime, right?:rolleyes1

Zamak=meth. Bright, glitzy & pretty, when you first try it, then...
View attachment 1254359

Are you kidding me?

A zamak post on a name brand razor? How cheap can they get?

"The name zamak is an acronym of the German names for the metals of which the alloys are composed: Zink (zinc), Aluminum, Magnesium and Kupfer (copper)." - Wikipedia. Zamak is 4 percent aluminum (which is brittle) and 3 percent copper.

"the SS threads will press-form the zamak" -- a more accurate description would be "grind down." Stainless steel is a zillion times harder than zamak. Zamak is not malleable like copper, it is brittle and crumbly.

The post is the Achille's heal of any three-piece razor, regardless of materials. But a zamak post is the bottom of the barrel. Zamak is brittle, so it will crack if struck, say on the sink - especially a thin post. If it is chrome plated over the thread it will last longer than bare zamak. But....

Another word for zamak is "pot metal." You wouldn't over-tighten a bolt on a pot metal machine, would you? But you are tightening the post every day, and if it is overtightened, it deforms and water seeps in under the plating and the zamak oxidizes and deteriorates. It sounds like a one-piece post/plate, so the whole plate around the post would deteriorate, which you would eventually see through the plating.

"It may oxidize a little faster" -- zamak vs. stainless steel? Are you serious?

I've got a Chinese knock-off razor that cost about $10 with a brass post. Should last. Shaves great.

If you are willing to settle for a zamak post, why not just get a Lord L6? It shaves fine. Costs $7.

A word of warning: Some razors are being produced with cheaper and cheaper methods, such as zamak posts and alternatives to chrome plating over zamak. They look pretty, and some are not inexpensive, so one might assume they are good. You might get two years of use out of them if you treat them carefully. But don't expect a lifetime out of these pretty ultra-cheaply made razors.

I've got brass razors that are about a century old in excellent condition that shave as good or better than most modern razors. Should be good for another century or two.

That said, I have no problem with a good razor made of zamak.

Last edited:
Top Bottom