What's new

Rockwell 6C thread issue

Easy, bro. I'm no fan of Zamak, and I'm well aware of what it is.;)
Are you kidding me?

A zamak post on a name brand razor? How cheap can they get?

"The name zamak is an acronym of the German names for the metals of which the alloys are composed: Zink (zinc), Aluminum, Magnesium and Kupfer (copper)." - Wikipedia. Zamak is 4 percent aluminum (which is brittle) and 3 percent copper.

"the SS threads will press-form the zamak" -- a more accurate description would be "grind down." Stainless steel is a zillion times harder than zamak. Zamak is not malleable like copper, it is brittle and crumbly.

The post is the Achille's heal of any three-piece razor, regardless of materials. But a zamak post is the bottom of the barrel. Zamak is brittle, so it will crack if struck, say on the sink - especially a thin post. If it is chrome plated over the thread it will last longer than bare zamak. But....

Another word for zamak is "pot metal." You wouldn't over-tighten a bolt on a pot metal machine, would you? But you are tightening the post every day, and if it is overtightened, it deforms and water seeps in under the plating and the zamak oxidizes and deteriorates. It sounds like a one-piece post/plate, so the whole plate around the post would deteriorate, which you would eventually see through the plating.

"It may oxidize a little faster" -- zamak vs. stainless steel? Are you serious?

I've got a Chinese knock-off razor that cost about $10 with a brass post. Should last. Shaves great.

If you are willing to settle for a zamak post, why not just get a Lord L6? It shaves fine. Costs $7.

A word of warning: Some razors are being produced with cheaper and cheaper methods, such as zamak posts and alternatives to chrome plating over zamak. They look pretty, and some are not inexpensive, so one might assume they are good. You might get two years of use out of them if you treat them carefully. But don't expect a lifetime out of these pretty ultra-cheaply made razors.

I've got brass razors that are about a century old in excellent condition that shave as good or better than most modern razors. Should be good for another century or two.

That said, I have no problem with a good razor made of zamak.

It's the perfect combination- the SS threads will press-form the zamak. It may oxidize a little faster, but zamak will last a lifetime, right?:rolleyes1

Zamak=meth. Bright, glitzy & pretty, when you first try it, then...
View attachment 1254359

That's is hilarious. With the ring of truth. I've been burned by zamak razors a couple of times. And those were 2 of the big three "quality" zamak manufacturers. Never again. I don't care who manufacturers it zinc alloy and water don't mix. So how does it make sense to manufacture a razor from that material? The post is the highest wear area in a three piece razor so that's where most zamak razors fail first.

Top Bottom