What's new

Rockwell 6C Settings

The head on my my Edwin Jagger DL89 sheared off whilst fitting a new blade?? so I decided to go for a new razor. Looking at the B&B threads the Rockwell 6C got good reviews.

My first shave was straight out of the box at setting 3 with Persona Med and Santa Maria Novella soap - I can't remember a smoother shave, no irritation and very close.

Second shave as above but with Martin De Candre soap - again very smooth, no irritation and very close.

I'm thinking of changing up to setting 4, but out of curiosity I was wondering what setting hit any other users sweet spot. I know YMMV but just curious.

For me plate 3 with a Polsilver Iridium or Nacet is the best. There is something about plate 4 on my 6s that always seems to give me bad shaves. If I want a more aggressive shave I jump right to plate 5 which seems to be smoother that 4.

On my 6s, I landed on the 4 plate as my sweet spot. Efficient enough and oh so smooth. I pair it with a very sharp blade like a Feather or Bic (but blades in many ways can be the most ymmv part of shaving).

The R3 Plate gets me DFS to BBS with two passes and some buffing.
Also, the R3 is extremely smooth for me with zero irritation.
The two blades that seem to work best for me are GSB and Astra SP.

Since early this year, I've mostly used R4, but recently am starting to prefer R5, especially with a smooth, run-in blade (Astra SP or Israeli Personna, not on its first shave).

This is for daily use, and I'm using the 6S.

I use R6 and it's so comfortable and efficient.

I use the 6S at home, along with a Karve brass. I keep the 6C in my travel kit.

Plate 3 for daily shave, 4 for every two day, 5 & 6 for longer stubble. Never used 1 & 2. I made a blade gap comparsion table between info in the Rockwell site and a table found in ATT site. Remember this is just blade gap, there are other factors to consider.
BLADE GAPS.jpg
Cheers

Interesting table, rreynoso.

A good side-effect of Rockwell's 6 settings is that it gives us a convenient comparison, with documented blade gaps. "Oh, it's a bit like an R4 or R5".

I'm starting to suspect that I might be a candidate for a Timeless Ti 0.68 SB, but no big hurry, while I'm getting such good results with the 6S.

I got my razor last week. I went with plate #3 right off the bat with a Personna Lab blue blade (2nd use); unfortunately, it tore my face up. I don't know what went wrong there as I usually use the same blades in my Merkur 34C with zero irritation.

I find plate 3 comfortable and efficient with relatively new blades, less than 10 uses. After that I go to plate 4. I'm still learning good technique, so this may well change as I get better.

I got my razor last week. I went with plate #3 right off the bat with a Personna Lab blue blade (2nd use); unfortunately, it tore my face up. I don't know what went wrong there as I usually use the same blades in my Merkur 34C with zero irritation.

Today evening, I swapped out the Personna Lab Blue with a Feather blade while sticking with the #3 plate and violà, a buttery smooth shave. I guess it truly does boil down to the blade being used and the razor.

The head on my my Edwin Jagger DL89 sheared off whilst fitting a new blade?? so I decided to go for a new razor. Looking at the B&B threads the Rockwell 6C got good reviews.

My first shave was straight out of the box at setting 3 with Persona Med and Santa Maria Novella soap - I can't remember a smoother shave, no irritation and very close.

Second shave as above but with Martin De Candre soap - again very smooth, no irritation and very close.

I'm thinking of changing up to setting 4, but out of curiosity I was wondering what setting hit any other users sweet spot. I know YMMV but just curious.

4R plate with a Persona Red

Top Bottom