What's new

Rockwell 6C/S, Henson Medium or Razorock GC .84?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a nice, relatively efficient/aggressive razor but not one that is overly blade 'feely' or 'gappy' and could comfortably be used as a daily driver but still put in the work with a few days of growth. I don't have access to many other razors (especially American artisans) but if you feel there's a recommendation that is better, feel free to make it. I'd ideally like to hear your thoughts on these three. My baseline razors that I use at the moment are the Merkur 33C (which I find very mild and with basically 0 bladefeel and is too mild for my preferences atm) and the Yaqi Raster V3 (which takes AC blades and I can't find any specs on the blade gap and exposure but I like the feel of it a lot. A bit more/less efficient than this is in my ideal range.) From what I can tell the GC seems like the one for me, but I'd like to hear your thoughts before I make a choice). It would be great if any of you could compare any of these to merkur progress settings! I liked 5 the most, as 6 was too much blade feel for what I felt was not enough extra efficiency.

Thanks in advance!

Only the Rockwell 6C/S gives u 6 levels of aggressiveness. The Rockwell is known for its smooth feel, quite small blade feel. I own a 6C myself and consider it one of my best 3 razors. Depending on the plate choice its a great daily driver too (i use plate 4 myself). The gunmetal finish wears off unevenly on my razor, i would recommend only the silver chromed version as a 6C. I dont own the other razors u mention so cant give advice as a comparison.

I know the Gamechanger 68+84, the Rockwell and the henson.
I'd recommend the Rockwell.
The henson is very lightweight and has dragging. Basically a giod shaver if it inly were heavier.
The Gamechanger is IMHO not bad, the 84 is quite efficient and the head is slim. But it tends to give me sometimes little nicks and weepers. I have to pay attention.
The Rockwell is easy to use. The weight makes it glide well over your skin. You can custimize it on six levels. Its more or less an autopilot shaver.

I have the Progress too but I don't use it. Somehow doesn't fit for me.

Additionally the the Razorock Lupo 58 might be an option too. Efficient and mild with a bit more of blade feel.

I have all 3 that you ask about. I think the Game Changer .68 might be more to your liking than the .84; the .84 may be a little more aggressive than you want.

The Rockwell 6C would be a good choice for you unless you feel that the head is too large/bulky.

I'd also suggest that you consider the aluminum Lupo, it's a lot of razor for the money.

I’m really not sure how to answer you. If you really like the Merkur Progress set at 5, I can’t see how any of the above razor choices would satisfy you. If you bought the GC .84 with the jaws plate, you might be in the ballpark. I do have or had all of the razors you listed and I set my Progress on#5.

There are 2 razors I would suggest you look at. The Karve (I have the brass) with the SB comb in F or G and the Yates 921 in either H or EH plate. Again if you like the Progress at #5, these 2 razors would be hard to beat from my experience. Good luck.

I’m really not sure how to answer you. If you really like the Merkur Progress set at 5, I can’t see how any of the above razor choices would satisfy you. If you bought the GC .84 with the jaws plate, you might be in the ballpark. I do have or had all of the razors you listed and I set my Progress on#5.

There are 2 razors I would suggest you look at. The Karve (I have the brass) with the SB comb in F or G and the Yates 921 in either H or EH plate. Again if you like the Progress at #5, these 2 razors would be hard to beat from my experience. Good luck.
I see, so do you think that because the razors are too mild or too aggressive compared to progress #5? It seems the rockwell on the 5/6 is going to be my speed according to a lot of other members but its hard to tell. Karve and Yates are only possible for me to get by buying direct and having it shipped out to Aus, I'll be waiting months and probably end up spending more on shipping than the inflated cost of the razor. Not sure, if I'm that desperate yet.

Reactions: Kix
I see, so do you think that because the razors are too mild or too aggressive compared to progress #5? It seems the rockwell on the 5/6 is going to be my speed according to a lot of other members but its hard to tell. Karve and Yates are only possible for me to get by buying direct and having it shipped out to Aus, I'll be waiting months and probably end up spending more on shipping than the inflated cost of the razor. Not sure, if I'm that desperate yet.
With the exception of the Henson, I could have recommended any of your other selections until your comments on the Progressive at setting 5. I find my Progressive at 5 (have not gone to 6) to be a wonderfully efficient and enjoyable shaver. I also find it to be smooth but care must be used or it can bit. I don’t believe you will find any of your selections to come close to the efficiency of your Progress at 5.

I have a Rockwell 6C and for me using plate #6 I find it well below the Progress as far as efficiency.

If RazoRock razors are easier to get, you might look at the Lupo 95. I have not used it, but have read many good comments about it.

I’ve got some of the razors you mentioned, my favorite razor is the Razorock Game Changer .84P. For me, it’s a perfect combination of efficiency and smoothness. I also have a GC .68P, but it’s a bit too mild for my needs.
All the razors on your list are good razors, IMO.

everybody saying that they're all good razors doesn't make this easy haha! Probably end up going with the rockwell since my 33c is probably going to get 'borrowed' by my brother permanently soon and I'll need something thats similar but a bit more efficient.

Reactions: Kix
Sorry to disagree, but the Yates 921 isn’t an inflated cost. Way different cost structure than injected metal (Rockwell which I also own) and RR (which I believe are made in India from Cadet).

The machining, tolerances and clamping of the blade are on the level of a 250 USD razor, here (not saying what this cost should be in Australia). Yes, it costs a lot to ship to Australia, but that is not a Yates or US problem. That is actually a tariff imposed by the Australian government.

That being said, the M plate Yates shaves like the Rockwell 6 plate so the call out for the H plate is a huge jump (pretty big gap and positive blade exposure).

Karve C or D plate sounds more your speed. But for me, the Yates out shaves it 8 days a week.

Game Changer .84. The .68 will be too mild for you. The Henson AL13 or Titanium Aggressive models would work for you, but do not even consider the Mild or Medium Henson, based on your history. You would need to shave with the Rockwell on the 6 plate, and that may be too mild for you as well. You should also consider the Razorock Lupo Stainless Steel .72 and .95 models. If you did not like one of the plates, you can sell it. The Lupo Stainless is a fantastic razor. By the way, I have all of these razors as well as the ones you have.

Only the Rockwell 6C/S gives u 6 levels of aggressiveness. The Rockwell is known for its smooth feel, quite small blade feel. I own a 6C myself and consider it one of my best 3 razors. Depending on the plate choice its a great daily driver too (i use plate 4 myself). The gunmetal finish wears off unevenly on my razor, i would recommend only the silver chromed version as a 6C. I dont own the other razors u mention so cant give advice as a comparison.
What's your other 2 best razors?

The rule of the thumb with razors is to try them all to see which one works for you and anything else is nothing more than personal preferences and opinions rather than facts.

I've shaved with all of these razors and for me the GC .84p is my absolute favorite. The Henson is ok and the 6S is the worst and I still don't know why so many people like it. It's very mild, inefficient, bulky, heavy, not very easy to shave under the nose and the matt finish has a terrible drag feeling and because of that I stay away from anything that isn't even remotely polished.

That's just my take on those 3 razors, so YMMV.

I was going to recommend the Yates till I saw from the comments you ruled that one out. I would probably say you should give the Rockwell a run since most people who have them really like them and keep them in their rotation. You may even want to consider their adjustable.

Top Bottom