What's new

Rockwell 6c = glorious!

Well my Rockwell 6c showed up today. I waited paitiently (not really, I checked the tracking number every 10 minutes) till it showed up today. As soon as it said delivered, like a kid on Christmas, I made the 1/2 mile trek to my mailbox, albeit in my truck. I ripped it out of the packaging like it was a prom dress on prom night! It was beautiful in all of its chrome glory!

I rushed home, soaked my omega and hopped in the shower. Now some of you are asking why all the excitement 03jarhead? Well let me tell ya... I've been using an EJDE89 with feather blades. Been the only blades to work in that razor on my mug. And in another thread I started, I explained how even with a feather samurai blade, I had to use some pressure under my chin to cut some of my locks. So I started searching for a better way and bumbled my way upon the Rockwell. Adjustable base plates you say? I had to find out. Was more blade gap, blade exposure and aggressiveness what I was seeking? I threw caution to the wind and left it to the shave gods. Maggards had me one on the way and at my door step in 2 days...

Anywho... I stepped out of the shower and put my war face on. Threw a personna Med prep blade in that bad boy and selected plate 5. Now some are asking why didn't you go with a feather blade 03jarhead? Outstanding question! While I may be a knuckle dragging grunt, I ain't stupid either! Figured I'd go with a milder blade to try this thing out.

First pass ATG. Whoa..waaayyy more aggressive than my EJDE89! Plowed through my wool like it wasn't even there. Even took the wiry stuff under the chin down pretty close on the first pass. Three passes later and it's been my best shave yet! No stinging when I ran my alum block all over the shaved areas, nor any sting with the aftershave! I'm impressed. No razor burn or cuts either.

The short of the long is I think I've found my razor. Now to see if it's the setting I need to use daily or back it down a notch. Time will tell and I'll keep you all updated. May have to order some more of the Personnas as well. They seem like a great blade!

I also have the 6C, and the 3-plate is my sweet spot so far. The 4-plate with a Med Prep was painful, but I don't know how many times that blade was used. The 3-plate with a Nacet or Voskhod has been ideal.

Glad to hear you like the 6C.

I've had my 6C for about a week and am still in the process of trying all the base plates. So far I've used #1, 3, and 4. I think #3 will end up being my favorite since it seems to be as effective as #4, but is noticeably more forgiving and mild feeling, which is what I like. I assume I won't care much for 5 & 6, but I'll still try them out. Plate #1 seems kind of pointless since it seemed to leave as much hair behind as it took off.

There are some things I don't like about the 6C, but overall I think it's a great razor for the money.

There are some things I don't like about the 6C
For me, the 6s is a stranded island razor. From what I understand, the 6c gives an equivalent shave. No need to ever buy another razor . . . wanting to is a whole other story. Good choice @03Jarhead. This razor is Semper Fi Do or Die! And thanks for your service.

For me, the 6s is a stranded island razor. From what I understand, the 6c gives an equivalent shave. No need to ever buy another razor . . . wanting to is a whole other story.

I would have to go with the Feather AS-D2 or Timeless for my stranded island razor, but if those didn't exist, I could be pretty happy with the 6C.

While I haven't tried a 6S yet, I'm guessing I'd at least like the handle more than the 6C handle. I find that the 6C handle gets pretty slippery when wet, especially with any soap present. I'm assuming the 6S has more grip since it doesn't have the smooth chrome finish, but maybe someone who has both can speak to that.

I'm assuming the 6S has more grip since it doesn't have the smooth chrome finish, but maybe someone who has both can speak to that.

I don't own both, but I've been using my 6S for over a year, and I can tell you the handle does not get slippery when wet, even with some soap. I do rinse my razor just about every pass, so it's not like it can get as slippery as possible, but the handle has never slipped in my hand.

Well my Rockwell 6c showed up today. I waited paitiently (not really, I checked the tracking number every 10 minutes) till it showed up today. As soon as it said delivered, like a kid on Christmas, I made the 1/2 mile trek to my mailbox, albeit in my truck. I ripped it out of the packaging like it was a prom dress on prom night! It was beautiful in all of its chrome glory!

I rushed home, soaked my omega and hopped in the shower. Now some of you are asking why all the excitement 03jarhead? Well let me tell ya... I've been using an EJDE89 with feather blades. Been the only blades to work in that razor on my mug. And in another thread I started, I explained how even with a feather samurai blade, I had to use some pressure under my chin to cut some of my locks. So I started searching for a better way and bumbled my way upon the Rockwell. Adjustable base plates you say? I had to find out. Was more blade gap, blade exposure and aggressiveness what I was seeking? I threw caution to the wind and left it to the shave gods. Maggards had me one on the way and at my door step in 2 days...

Anywho... I stepped out of the shower and put my war face on. Threw a personna Med prep blade in that bad boy and selected plate 5. Now some are asking why didn't you go with a feather blade 03jarhead? Outstanding question! While I may be a knuckle dragging grunt, I ain't stupid either! Figured I'd go with a milder blade to try this thing out.

First pass ATG. Whoa..waaayyy more aggressive than my EJDE89! Plowed through my wool like it wasn't even there. Even took the wiry stuff under the chin down pretty close on the first pass. Three passes later and it's been my best shave yet! No stinging when I ran my alum block all over the shaved areas, nor any sting with the aftershave! I'm impressed. No razor burn or cuts either.

The short of the long is I think I've found my razor. Now to see if it's the setting I need to use daily or back it down a notch. Time will tell and I'll keep you all updated. May have to order some more of the Personnas as well. They seem like a great blade!

"I ripped it out of the packaging like it was a prom dress on prom night."

Happy Shaving.

Nice score. I used an aristocrat for 25 yrs then a Maggard v3 and a Muhle 89 and was content. Wanting something made of stainless ordered the fendrihan mk2 and have never been happier. The sharper blades are way sharper and the average blades are just right. I have never tried anything more than I've mentioned and will force myself not to. I looked at the Rockwell and almost added it to the cart but figured I'd try and save some money and it worked.

I don't own both, but I've been using my 6S for over a year, and I can tell you the handle does not get slippery when wet, even with some soap. I do rinse my razor just about every pass, so it's not like it can get as slippery as possible, but the handle has never slipped in my hand.

Thanks for the feedback on the 6S.

I too recently acquired a 6C. I feel just like how you described it too... prom dress and all!!

As soon as the 6C arrived I went with a Shark Super Chrome (which has reacted favorably for me) on the #3 plate. Effortless, drama free, BBS shave every time. I think about 5 shaves in now and I haven't even put on a different base plate yet. This one is just ... perfect. Maybe tomorrow I'll venture to the 4. Or even chill down to a 2.

The ONLY nitpick... the threads on the handle are a little tight screwing in the plate. It is gradually "wearing in" though and getting smoother.

Did the threads smoothen out and get easy to use?

I received my 6C last week and found the same thread issue. They are pretty tight. I am two shaves in with the #3 and #4 plate. Being zamak I am pretty concerned about the tight handle which squeaks quite loud when I tighten or loosen the razor.

Like to know if this is a normal problem and faced by others as well.

Could be there is still some grit lodged in the threads. If you have a teeny brush like you might use to floss, give it a go AND put a couple drops of reel oil or even mineral oil on the threads.

Yes. As a matter of fact the threads did sort of wear in nicely. I have no issues with this razor now ... other than I can only use it once a day. I am still LOVING this razor. Every once in a while I'll get bold and try the #6. It can be rather aggressive. The 3 and 4 are pretty much perfection. The 2 is quite mild, about the same as my Merkur 34C, and the 1 is great for those days where you've had 4 cups of coffee, and are in a mad rush and just want a razor to do you no harm.

Nice score. I used an aristocrat for 25 yrs then a Maggard v3 and a Muhle 89 and was content. Wanting something made of stainless ordered the fendrihan mk2 and have never been happier. The sharper blades are way sharper and the average blades are just right. I have never tried anything more than I've mentioned and will force myself not to. I looked at the Rockwell and almost added it to the cart but figured I'd try and save some money and it worked.
Same here re the Fendrihan. Interesting, I'm finding heavier steel is better for its somewhat aggressive head, it helps keep the stroke smooth and steady. Most here who use the Rockwell 6s or 6c seem to like settings 4 and 5. I wonder if the 6c chrome version of the Rockwell is still reasonably heavy.

I received my 6C last week and found the same thread issue. They are pretty tight. I am two shaves in with the #3 and #4 plate. Being zamak I am pretty concerned about the tight handle which squeaks quite loud when I tighten or loosen the razor.

I just acquired a 6C, but have yet to shave with it.

My threads were also extremely tight when removing the handle for the first time. However, they got better with my removing and replacing the handle two or three times. Several times more, and they seem fine. However, my handle didn't squeak. I highly suspect the threads will smoothen out in short time, with regular use (blade & plate changing).

I find the #6 plate in my 6S to be the perfect combination of very close and very forgiving. This holds for most blades I've tried in it. But then I find my guardless Parker not very aggressive either.

I received my Rockwell 6C a couple of days ago and I am still looking for the best combination of plate and razor blade. So far, I had pretty good shaves with a Personna Med Prep blade on Plate #4 and a Feather blade on plate #3. Very good razor for the money!

M

Member 113878

Same here.
I put some mineral oil on the threads and it fixed the problem.
I’d like to get another handle with the same weight but a bit shorter.

Top Bottom