What's new

Rockwell 6C Adjustable makes bad blades good or How I learned to love dull blades again

I love my Rockwell 6C and the plate adjustments. Besides getting great shaves with my go to blades (Lab blues, Permasharp, Kai,etc...), I have rediscovered blades that I left in the forget them pile.

Tonight was Derby.

Now when I started DE shaving 2 years ago, I had a sample pack with Derby included. I hated the tugging and bad shaves when I used my EJ89 with the Derby. Instead of throwing them out though, I saved them thinking as my technique improved, maybe I would like them. Well, that never happened, until tonight. One of the great benefits of an adjustable, is the ability to change the settings to match a blade's properties. Since Derbys are so dull, I tried it on plate 5. Couldn't believe the great shave, just about BBS, and practically no irritation. Now, it was a one day old beard. So I'm thinking maybe the awful Derby could be used as a daily blade on an aggressive setting. I'll see how long it lasts. Never thought I'd be thinking of using a Derby again.

Rockwell not only makes all blades seem more efficient, it makes all blades seem more smooth. My 6S is pretty much all I use anymore.

I love my Rockwell 6C and the plate adjustments. Besides getting great shaves with my go to blades (Lab blues, Permasharp, Kai,etc...), I have rediscovered blades that I left in the forget them pile.

Tonight was Derby.

Now when I started DE shaving 2 years ago, I had a sample pack with Derby included. I hated the tugging and bad shaves when I used my EJ89 with the Derby. Instead of throwing them out though, I saved them thinking as my technique improved, maybe I would like them. Well, that never happened, until tonight. One of the great benefits of an adjustable, is the ability to change the settings to match a blade's properties. Since Derbys are so dull, I tried it on plate 5. Couldn't believe the great shave, just about BBS, and practically no irritation. Now, it was a one day old beard. So I'm thinking maybe the awful Derby could be used as a daily blade on an aggressive setting. I'll see how long it lasts. Never thought I'd be thinking of using a Derby again.

exact same thing happened to me aswell.. i hated derby on de89l when i first started. was tuggy and gave me lots of nick. finally tried with 6C and it turned out to be good blade, not the best but was good.

You discovered one of the secrets of the Excalibur Club. Using a more aggressive razor as the blade gets dull can extend the life.

Your nicks were caused by too much pressure. The tuggy was likely caused by too steep a blade angle. Try riding the top plate more for a better blade angle.

Top Bottom