What's new

Rocket Fire Log

I have seen small rocket log setups for boiling a pot of water and such. I decided to make a large one. The log I used was 24" across and 60" tall. I drilled 1 hole from the top and one in the side to meet in the middle. Got the largest and longest wood drill bit I owned and was able to drill an 1 1/2" diameter hole 16" deep.
Here is what It looked like after drilling.
IMG_1466.jpeg
Started the fire around 10:30 am. I used fatwood 1 stick at a time. It only took 3 sticks to get the fire going.
Here is was it looked like at 12:30 pm.
De9J5D7FTDy8tUtq08X1KQ.jpg
Here is 2:30 pm burning really well.
vWIfcdT8SxWFZjZkfOCxNw.jpg
These photos would be better if was dark., had to see the flame. The vertical hole is about 6" in diameter now. Will update as the day goes on.

The question for me I guess is can you put it out, if you wanted to.

I’m a fan of rocket stoves in general and have a cinder block set up I’ve played with and keep at the house for just in case. The problem with just in case is, if I need to cook on a rocket stove, it’ll be wet and I don’t have dry twigs stockpiled.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Now, that's cool!

I was familiar with "Canadian Candle," where the light has four deep vertical slits.

Have a rocket stove, of course.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have seen small rocket log setups for boiling a pot of water and such. I decided to make a large one. The log I used was 24" across and 60" tall. I drilled 1 hole from the top and one in the side to meet in the middle. Got the largest and longest wood drill bit I owned and was able to drill an 1 1/2" diameter hole 16" deep.
Here is what It looked like after drilling.
View attachment 948980
Started the fire around 10:30 am. I used fatwood 1 stick at a time. It only took 3 sticks to get the fire going.
Here is was it looked like at 12:30 pm.
View attachment 948982
Here is 2:30 pm burning really well.
View attachment 948983
These photos would be better if was dark., had to see the flame. The vertical hole is about 6" in diameter now. Will update as the day goes on.

Did you drill THROUGH horizontallly for the air hole (T-shape) or only halfway (L-shape)?

AA

Top Bottom