What's new

Rocket 1 Shave Logs

I will be interested in your opinion of the SV after a few more uses. I've been on an artisan soap spree and have been pretty resistant to anything triple milled so far.

I will be interested in your opinion of the SV after a few more uses. I've been on an artisan soap spree and have been pretty resistant to anything triple milled so far.
I am hopeful it works out as I see the potential of this soap. Out of curiousity why have you resisted the triple milled?

I am hopeful it works out as I see the potential of this soap. Out of curiousity why have you resisted the triple milled?

Main reasons are that it seems like it would be more difficult to work with and price. I know that they last much longer than soft soaps so on a per shave basis they're equal or maybe even cheaper but I really enjoy testing and having multiple scents available. That would become prohibitively expensive with triple milled soaps pretty quick.

Main reasons are that it seems like it would be more difficult to work with and price. I know that they last much longer than soft soaps so on a per shave basis they're equal or maybe even cheaper but I really enjoy testing and having multiple scents available. That would become prohibitively expensive with triple milled soaps pretty quick.
I see. The cost of sampling, or maintaining a large collection, is certainly challenging given the typical price points. I will say in the case of SV it was easy to work with, at least as much as any higher tier artisan soap I have used. I actually employed a citrus zester to remove soap from the puck, as I don't like to load directly off the puck. But I could have just used my normal softer soap removal tool, albeit with a bit more effort.

When is your Ti Blackbird supposed to arrive?
it is currently mocking me having sat at a local distrubution center all day. Hoping it will move tonight for delivery tomorrow but technically showing for Friday (even though it is supposed to be here no later than tomorrow).

it is currently mocking me having sat at a local distrubution center all day. Hoping it will move tonight for delivery tomorrow but technically showing for Friday (even though it is supposed to be here no later than tomorrow).
Mocking me.gif

log date: 2022-08-19

Today was my first outing with a Blackland Blackbird of any type. I loaded up the Blackbird Ti with a fresh Bic Chrome Platinum anticipating the shave to come, but uncertain of what would be experienced. The new satin finish amplifies the strong design lines of this razor, and I am a big fan of the overall aesthetic. Sitting next to the razor was a freshly conjured bowl of saturated slickness delivered by House of Mammoth Alive soap. After a wet coating was applied to 1.5 days of beard growth, I initiated the first WTG pass, starting from the top of the right cheek.

As the razor was guided down I was taken aback by how much of the beard had been removed. As I continued on I did meet a bit of “friction” or maybe less smoothness. Neither really describe it but I would say it felt as if I had an under hydrated lather. I suspect this razor was at a suboptimal angle and was wiping away every bit of my lather like a squeegee. It was not rough, nor aggressive. It was just different. By the second and third pass I was hitting more optimal angles and it became smoother, sublime at peak execution.

As I continued on, I was surprised at the range of additional pressure I could safely apply. I think my time with the Vector has built in some experience playing with pressure during a shave. At no time did this razor feel unsafe. In fact I thought for sure at times I was going to get an injury, but I didn’t. I ended up with one tiny nick on my upper lip and one around the upper jaw line where I probably overshaved a bit with less than optimal angle. Throughout the shave I was aware of some blade feel, particularly when I was at less optimal angles. But it was not harsh or aggressive. Just present. I did not mind that at all.

I have maintained a search for higher efficiency over the past months in an attempt to overcome my coarse and, in certain areas, incredibly dense beard growth. The Blackbird in many ways may be the first honey badger razor that I have experienced: Oh, you could never completely clear that small area above the chin? Now you can. Oh, you can’t fully eliminate stubborn areas near the corners of the mouth and around the cheek hollows that still revealed a shade of darkness after a shave. Now you can. Oh, you could rarely shave S to N ATG on your upper lip without tugging and injury, as you faced the steel curtain of your most dense growth area. I got you. Now you can.

Out of the gate this easily was one of my top 5 shaves of the year measured on BBS outcome and efficiency. I still need to work on optimal angle and smoothing out the shave. And I may need to address lather as this razor just wipes away so much. I’m sure I have much to learn with the Blackbird, and I know first experiences need to be tempered. It may be that the accumulation of daily shaving at this efficiency brings out other issues. I will have to see. But at this moment in time, I am incredibly satisfied with this razor.

Overall Score: 10/10 💯

RAZOR: Blackland Blackbird Ti [SB]
BLADE: Bic Chrome Platinum [1]
BRUSH: AP Shave Co 24mm G5C
LATHER: House of Mammoth Alive

blackbird-ti.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent write up! How would you say blade feel with the Blackbird compared to the Lupo?
Thanks! Blade feel was more apparent than the Lupo. But the blade feel dissipated when I started hitting what felt like sweet spot angles. I probably pushed things harder as well for a first outing :) But at no time did it feel aggressive. It was just a sensation of sorts. For whatever reason I just don't get any meaningful blade feel in the .95 OC Lupo. So maybe dial up or down my statements relative to what you may have experienced for blade feel in the Lupo.

log date: 2022-08-19

Today was my first outing with a Blackland Blackbird of any type. I loaded up the Blackbird Ti with a fresh Bic Chrome Platinum anticipating the shave to come, but uncertain of what would be experienced. The new satin finish amplifies the strong design lines of this razor, and I am a big fan of the overall aesthetic. Sitting next to the razor was a freshly conjured bowl of saturated slickness delivered by House of Mammoth Alive soap. After a wet coating was applied to 1.5 days of beard growth, I initiated the first WTG pass, starting from the top of the right cheek.

As the razor was guided down I was taken aback by how much of the beard had been removed. As I continued on I did meet a bit of “friction” or maybe less smoothness. Neither really describe it but I would say it felt as if I had an under hydrated lather. I suspect this razor was at a suboptimal angle and was wiping away every bit of my lather like a squeegee. It was not rough, nor aggressive. It was just different. By the second and third pass I was hitting more optimal angles and it became smoother, sublime at peak execution.

As I continued on, I was surprised at the range of additional pressure I could safely apply. I think my time with the Vector has built in some experience playing with pressure during a shave. At no time did this razor feel unsafe. In fact I thought for sure at times I was going to get an injury, but I didn’t. I ended up with one tiny nick on my upper lip and one around the upper jaw line where I probably overshaved a bit with less than optimal angle. Throughout the shave I was aware of some blade feel, particularly when I was at less optimal angles. But it was not harsh or aggressive. Just present. I did not mind that at all.

I have maintained a search for higher efficiency over the past months in an attempt to overcome my coarse and, in certain areas, incredibly dense beard growth. The Blackbird in many ways may be the first honey badger razor that I have experienced: Oh, you could never completely clear that small area above the chin? Now you can. Oh, you can’t fully eliminate stubborn areas near the corners of the mouth and around the cheek hollows that still revealed a shade of darkness after a shave. Now you can. Oh, you could rarely shave S to N ATG on your upper lip without tugging and injury, as you faced the steel curtain of your most dense growth area. I got you. Now you can.

Out of the gate this easily was one of my top 5 shaves of the year measured on BBS outcome and efficiency. I still need to work on optimal angle and smoothing out the shave. And I may need to address lather as this razor just wipes away so much. I’m sure I have much to learn with the Blackbird, and I know first experiences need to be tempered. It may be that the accumulation of daily shaving at this efficiency brings out other issues. I will have to see. But at this moment in time, I am incredibly satisfied with this razor.

Overall Score: 10/10 💯

BLADE: Bic Chrome Platinum [1]

View attachment 1507866
One of the best write ups I’ve read recently 👍😊💈

log date: 2022-08-20

Second shave with the Blackbird Ti. Today I took more of an exploratory approach. Yesterday was somewhat steeper with more pressure applied. So I contrasted today with shallow angles and letting the head of the razor provide more guidance. As a byproduct, the level of pressure applied was reduced. The net effect was a smoother shave experience overall, but it did come with a moderate reduction in efficiency and more touch up compared to yesterday. The application of post shave also confirmed feedback on the jaw line and a slight amount on the neck line. Some of that feedback originated from negligent touch ups without re-lathering.

As I was finishing up the shave I went back in on the upper lip area with more pressure and took down some of the toughest areas. The Blackbird produces a sensation reminiscent of the Vector when hitting a sweet spot of pressure. It feels almost as if there is a pocket formed and the skin brought further in to the gap of the razor. The result is a very effective reduction. I predict in a few more shaves that I will approach BBS across the upper lip, something that I never have quite achieved. Hopefully that will come with a visual reduction as well. But the density of follicles might make that difficult.

One other factor for today was a further hydrated lather. Hydration was pushed beyond levels that I would normally require. It felt as if I might be hitting a point of breaking the lather but it ultimately held together. I do think that also contributed to a bit smoother shave.

Even with some extra work and a bit of over-shaving the results are excellent BBS. I look forward to refining my approach with this razor.

Overall Score: 9.7/10

BLADE: Bic Chrome Platinum [2]

blackbird-ti-2.jpg

log date: 2022-08-21

Shave number three complete with the Blackbird Ti. I’m heading out for an event, so it will be an abbreviated write up today. Today’s shave was conducted with a fresh Perma-sharp blade. I tried this blade previously with the Lupo .95 OC but didn’t love it. As I began the first pass it was clear the blade itself was exhibiting a meaningful increase in smoothness versus the Bic CP. Even shaving steep, which I was also trying out a bit more today, felt smooth. The downside was what seemed like a less efficient outcome per pass, compared to the Bic. I had to apply more pressure to overcome what seemed like a slight reduction in blade efficiency.

When I turned to ATG and touch ups I began to develop tiny weepers in locations where I had to apply more pressure and passes. Nothing serious but noticeable. On a more positive note this blade turned the Blackbird into a buffing machine for my upper lip area. I was able to accomplish full BBS in that area! But I am not ready to claim complete victory because it came with some tiny weepers at the lower corners of that area.

I know the Perma-sharp is a beloved blade in the Blackbird Ti, by well regarded forum shavers. So I am going to revisit this blade again. I will say that I had almost zero feedback after the shave, even with heavier buffing in areas. In the end though, the Blackbird delivered yet another amazing BBS outcome.

Overall Score: 9.5/10

BLADE: Perma-Sharp [1]

blackbird-ti-3.jpg

log date: 2022-08-21

Shave number three complete with the Blackbird Ti. I’m heading out for an event, so it will be an abbreviated write up today. Today’s shave was conducted with a fresh Perma-sharp blade. I tried this blade previously with the Lupo .95 OC but didn’t love it. As I began the first pass it was clear the blade itself was exhibiting a meaningful increase in smoothness versus the Bic CP. Even shaving steep, which I was also trying out a bit more today, felt smooth. The downside was what seemed like a less efficient outcome per pass, compared to the Bic. I had to apply more pressure to overcome what seemed like a slight reduction in blade efficiency.

When I turned to ATG and touch ups I began to develop tiny weepers in locations where I had to apply more pressure and passes. Nothing serious but noticeable. On a more positive note this blade turned the Blackbird into a buffing machine for my upper lip area. I was able to accomplish full BBS in that area! But I am not ready to claim complete victory because it came with some tiny weepers at the lower corners of that area.
With more efficient razors, I experience this same issue. It has to be me, as the ATG elsewhere is fine. But the van Dyke area seems to lead to weepers. If I plan to use a more aggressive/efficient razor, I like to keep a Schick injector handy for the chin and upper lip areas, or another mild/smooth/efficient razor!

With more efficient razors, I experience this same issue. It has to be me, as the ATG elsewhere is fine. But the van Dyke area seems to lead to weepers. If I plan to use a more aggressive/efficient razor, I like to keep a Schick injector handy for the chin and upper lip areas, or another mild/smooth/efficient razor!
uh oh. Schick injector was my next focus area. I keep fighting it. But I know it will be next :) On a bit of a more serious note, I have the most wire like dense growth in that area. Almost everyone in my lineage wears a mustache or beard. I have tried various combinations of razor/blade in that area. My intuition is that nothing has been able to effectively cut through the dense iron forest and ultimately that leads to negligent use of pressure in an attempt to overcome it. But I welcome trying out a Schick injector 😊

Do you have a model that you would recommend? I have started reviewing various threads on options.

log date: 2022-08-23

Shave number four with the Blackbird Ti is complete. Today I set some intention ahead of the shave with a plan to focus on the use of my shoulder to conduct all passes. I had seen someone else suggest that and it resonated with my drawing and painting training. This session also included another run with the Perma-Sharp blade. Unlike my prior session I wanted to focus on a neutral to slight steep approach, with a lighter touch.

As I conducted the initial WTG pass, the focus on the large muscles of the shoulder delivered a seemingly steady and consistent application of razor engagement for the entire pass. At the same time, the Perma-sharp provided a reduced sense of smoothness, with an increased sense of efficiency. That may have been the result of coating wear compared to its first use. Subsequent XTG and ATG passes were uneventful, although I felt a slight sense of residual razor irritation on the jaw line. I suspect that was from a less artful turn of the razor across the arc of the jaw, while attempting to only use the shoulder for movement. The lower left neckline also presented some residual sensations, and I believe the steeper approach could have contributed to that. A delicate and shallow angle seems more appropriate for that area and has certainly been successful with prior shaves.

The result was almost error free, but I was gluttonous on an attempt to add another round of buffing on the lower left upper lip area. And I did pick up a couple of weepers as a result. In the final assessment BBS was largely achieved with a few locations that could have benefited from one more round of touch up including the upper lip area. The “post shave shadow” was a bit more evident than the prior shave but still dramatically reduced compared to results from my other razors.

I plan to return to the Bic for the next shaves and then will compare with a Feather and Wizamet. The Blackbird is so intuitive that each shave is just a refinement on reaching a balance of comfort and error reduction versus level of BBS and post shave shadow reduction.

Overall Score: 9.3/10

BLADE: Perma-Sharp [2]

blackbird-ti-4.jpg

log date: 2022-08-23

Shave number four with the Blackbird Ti is complete. Today I set some intention ahead of the shave with a plan to focus on the use of my shoulder to conduct all passes. I had seen someone else suggest that and it resonated with my drawing and painting training. This session also included another run with the Perma-Sharp blade. Unlike my prior session I wanted to focus on a neutral to slight steep approach, with a lighter touch.

As I conducted the initial WTG pass, the focus on the large muscles of the shoulder delivered a seemingly steady and consistent application of razor engagement for the entire pass. At the same time, the Perma-sharp provided a reduced sense of smoothness, with an increased sense of efficiency. That may have been the result of coating wear compared to its first use. Subsequent XTG and ATG passes were uneventful, although I felt a slight sense of residual razor irritation on the jaw line. I suspect that was from a less artful turn of the razor across the arc of the jaw, while attempting to only use the shoulder for movement. The lower left neckline also presented some residual sensations, and I believe the steeper approach could have contributed to that. A delicate and shallow angle seems more appropriate for that area and has certainly been successful with prior shaves.

The result was almost error free, but I was gluttonous on an attempt to add another round of buffing on the lower left upper lip area. And I did pick up a couple of weepers as a result. In the final assessment BBS was largely achieved with a few locations that could have benefited from one more round of touch up including the upper lip area. The “post shave shadow” was a bit more evident than the prior shave but still dramatically reduced compared to results from my other razors.

I plan to return to the Bic for the next shaves and then will compare with a Feather and Wizamet. The Blackbird is so intuitive that each shave is just a refinement on reaching a balance of comfort and error reduction versus level of BBS and post shave shadow reduction.

Overall Score: 9.3/10

BLADE: Perma-Sharp [2]

View attachment 1510166
Excellent report!

Top Bottom