What's new

Rock Island and Iver Johnson opinions

Okay, I have talked myself into a Springfield mil-spec (now I have to work on the wife). Looks like a great starting point. Part of the fun with 1911s is replacing parts and customizing it as you go.
I was looking at that and the Ruger SR1911 also, but I’m on a polymer 10 mm quest now.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I like the idea of customizing it. First grips, then maybe a standard rise beaver tail with the bump on the bottom- doesn’t affect concealability like an extended one, but a more positive engagement when gripped. Is this going to be a rabbit hole? :)

It’s a given. :)

I gotta say that I like ol' Rock Island and would recommend them. I know two people who own them and both are happy. Our youngest son bought one of the first ones I've seen in about 2007. It's served very well. It's quite accurate and has a really nice trigger that's not been worked. Seems like it was $299 new from a Fort Worth gun show exhibitor. Our son currently is in active reserves in the Marine Corps and does security work. He actually carries the Rock Island most often rather than a Colt he bought in 2014. His Rock Island has the better trigger. He shoots the Rock Island a good bit in monthly practice so it has a high round count by now.

His Rock Island still equipped with original blond smooth stocks. He's been through two or three sets of stocks since and currently has a pair of double-diamond checkered stocks on it.

I tried to "raise him right," me being joined-at-the-hip with Colt 1911-guns which I love, but he's pretty attached to the Rock Island, and realistically, I can't blame him.

We bought father and son Colt Government Models in 2014. He was deployed to Afghanistan for the second time and saw some tough days as a machinegunner. One night he skyped me, inquiring if $650 was a decent price for a limited production Colt Government Model to commemorate his battalion. I agreed that it was a "deal." Before the conversation was over, I inquired if he couldn't order an extra one for ol' Dad and he did.

Some time later, after his initial enlistment was up, we were having one of our .45 fests. Our son loves shooting 1911s. He had both the Rock Island and the Marine 3/7 Colt. I had my matching Marine 3/7 Colt and another one. As we were putting up for the day, I was idly dry-firing at small rock targets on the berm behind the back stop. I remarked that the Colt had broken in quite nicely and the trigger was much improved. I put it up and went on to load up something else in the back of the pickup. He got to looking around and then checked my zippered pistol case. I'd accidentally picked up his Rock Island and tried the trigger a few times, thinking it was the Colt, and then put it away in my pistol case. The Colt trigger still wasn't as good as the trigger on the Rock Island.

The pair of Colts with the special commemorative serial numbers, only one numeral apart. The commemorative features of the pistols amounted to the Third Battalion Seventh Regiment special serial number block, a spare especially designed custom pair of grips with the 3/7 logo and a spare skeletonized trigger that could be installed.

The two .45s mean a lot to us, me especially as the plan to order them happened during December of 2013, a time when I couldn't be certain we'd ever have opportunity to shoot them together. He saw a lot of front line duty and they also encountered several IEDs.

An effort to create a vintage-look photograph with the Rock Island as a prop when he was in on boot leave from the Marine Corps in 2009.

Found it- it was an Astra
View attachment 1068236

That's a good lookin' .45 automatic.

I liked ol' Astra. Have had several through the years and currently have a cute little 100 year old Astra M1916 vest pocket .25 automatic with the neatest loaded chamber indicator. All served well and exhibited good materials and workmanship. I liked Star handguns as well. Never was as keen on the quality of Llama.

Only thing is, the Spanish gun brands are all defunct now and parts could become problematic.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Pipes can pale in comparison. : )
It’s a given. :)
Figured so
I gotta say that I like ol' Rock Island and would recommend them. I know two people who own them and both are happy. Our youngest son bought one of the first ones I've seen in about 2007. It's served very well. It's quite accurate and has a really nice trigger that's not been worked. Seems like it was $299 new from a Fort Worth gun show exhibitor. Our son currently is in active reserves in the Marine Corps and does security work. He actually carries the Rock Island most often rather than a Colt he bought in 2014. His Rock Island has the better trigger. He shoots the Rock Island a good bit in monthly practice so it has a high round count by now.

His Rock Island still equipped with original blond smooth stocks. He's been through two or three sets of stocks since and currently has a pair of double-diamond checkered stocks on it.

I tried to "raise him right," me being joined-at-the-hip with Colt 1911-guns which I love, but he's pretty attached to the Rock Island, and realistically, I can't blame him.

We bought father and son Colt Government Models in 2014. He was deployed to Afghanistan for the second time and saw some tough days as a machinegunner. One night he skyped me, inquiring if $650 was a decent price for a limited production Colt Government Model to commemorate his battalion. I agreed that it was a "deal." Before the conversation was over, I inquired if he couldn't order an extra one for ol' Dad and he did.

Some time later, after his initial enlistment was up, we were having one of our .45 fests. Our son loves shooting 1911s. He had both the Rock Island and the Marine 3/7 Colt. I had my matching Marine 3/7 Colt and another one. As we were putting up for the day, I was idly dry-firing at small rock targets on the berm behind the back stop. I remarked that the Colt had broken in quite nicely and the trigger was much improved. I put it up and went on to load up something else in the back of the pickup. He got to looking around and then checked my zippered pistol case. I'd accidentally picked up his Rock Island and tried the trigger a few times, thinking it was the Colt, and then put it away in my pistol case. The Colt trigger still wasn't as good as the trigger on the Rock Island.

The pair of Colts with the special commemorative serial numbers, only one numeral apart. The commemorative features of the pistols amounted to the Third Battalion Seventh Regiment special serial number block, a spare especially designed custom pair of grips with the 3/7 logo and a spare skeletonized trigger that could be installed.

The two .45s mean a lot to us, me especially as the plan to order them happened during December of 2013, a time when I couldn't be certain we'd ever have opportunity to shoot them together. He saw a lot of front line duty and they also encountered several IEDs.

An effort to create a vintage-look photograph with the Rock Island as a prop when he was in on boot leave from the Marine Corps in 2009.
Very cool

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
In stock for $459 (plus their $12.99 handling fee)
Without mentioning any names 😗, there was a dealer, who during recent periods of 2nd Amendment duress, really put the screws to folks with their price gouging. Suffice it to say that if this particular dealer were the last place left on earth to obtain firearms/ammo, it would mark the end of my firearm/ammo purchasing...

That said, I’ll see CTD’s $471.99 & lower you $3.12...

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I like the idea of customizing it. First grips, then maybe a standard rise beaver tail with the bump on the bottom- doesn’t affect concealability like an extended one, but a more positive engagement when gripped. Is this going to be a rabbit hole? :)
The Springer Defenders are an ideal platform to customize & yes, they do become a rabbit hole 😄.
With the exception of the sights, ejector, extractor, barrel & beaver tail, I gutted mine, replacing many of the components with WW2 USGI A1 surplus parts - also did the same to a Colt .38 Super Gov., but that’s another story.

First thing to go was the SS barrel bushing which, along with the SS barrel, stuck out like a diamond in a goat’s bum. I may eventually have the barrel blued, which will probably cost as much, perhaps more than a replacement blued mil-surp barrel. I’d be remiss if I failed to mention the Defender’s excellent factory slide-to-frame & match grade (that term is so overused) bushing-to-barrel tolerances!

USGI late-war stamped short trigger, slide stop & mag release. (original wood grips)

Replacement (here we go again) match grade barrel bushing, which after no small amount of time, is slightly snugger than the OEM SS bushing.

Wide spur hammer, USGI A1 thumb safety & arched MS housing

MS housing w/lanyard & Colt late-war grip panels

End result ...

Not pictured: EGW flat bottom slide stop, hard sear, disconnector & titanium MS cap/hammer strut ... C&S light sear spring ... Wolff 18# main spring, both of which helped reduced trigger pull to sub-4#s
BTW, those late-war Colt surplus grips can be obtained from Simpson Ltd (.com) for around $30

Modding a 1911?

Why; whatever makes you ask that? :devil:

You'll be changing out so many parts you'd think it was a Glock!

Muahahaha!!!

AA

Yep!

The cool thing is you can mod, but you don't have to. I'm an almost, but not quite nearly 1911 purist, preferring to leave 'em factory and just shoot the hooey out of 'em with perfect satisfaction. I did dress up a couple with nothing more than new stocks and upgraded sights on one, because I bought it cheap with smushed sights. The pawn shop selling it had dropped it on a concrete floor, it landing square on top of the sights. Nothing else was harmed, but I got a "deal."

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The Springer Defenders are an ideal platform to customize & yes, they do become a rabbit hole 😄.
With the exception of the sights, ejector, extractor, barrel & beaver tail, I gutted mine, replacing many of the components with WW2 USGI A1 surplus parts - also did the same to a Colt .38 Super Gov., but that’s another story.

First thing to go was the SS barrel bushing which, along with the SS barrel, stuck out like a diamond in a goat’s bum. I may eventually have the barrel blued, which will probably cost as much, perhaps more than a replacement blued mil-surp barrel. I’d be remiss if I failed to mention the Defender’s excellent factory slide-to-frame & match grade (that term is so overused) bushing-to-barrel tolerances!

USGI late-war stamped short trigger, slide stop & mag release. (original wood grips)

Replacement (here we go again) match grade barrel bushing, which after no small amount of time, is slightly snugger than the OEM SS bushing.

Wide spur hammer, USGI A1 thumb safety & arched MS housing

MS housing w/lanyard & Colt late-war grip panels

End result ...

Not pictured: EGW flat bottom slide stop, hard sear, disconnector & titanium MS cap/hammer strut ... C&S light sear spring ... Wolff 18# main spring, both of which helped reduced trigger pull to sub-4#s
BTW, those late-war Colt surplus grips can be obtained from Simpson Ltd (.com) for around $30
Very nice. Cheaper Than Dirt is about 5 miles from me- being local adds value. I like to touch some things before buying

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yep!

The cool thing is you can mod, but you don't have to. I'm an almost, but not quite nearly 1911 purist, preferring to leave 'em factory and just shoot the hooey out of 'em with perfect satisfaction. I did dress up a couple with nothing more than new stocks and upgraded sights on one, because I bought it cheap with smushed sights. The pawn shop selling it had dropped it on a concrete floor, it landing square on top of the sights. Nothing else was harmed, but I got a "deal."
Do you have pics?

At first glance, it reminded me of the of the old S&W 915 I had. Another one I never should have sold.

View attachment 1068244

A friend I had in PA had a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm I tried getting from him for years. He never would part with it. He may even have taken it with him when he died lol.
You can buy these used. I think Classicfirearms has some......

NOW i want a similar one I think mod 457 a small 45....that one is almost impossible to find....sadly

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You can buy these used. I think Classicfirearms has some......

NOW i want a similar one I think mod 457 a small 45....that one is almost impossible to find....sadly

Yeah there are a few around, but as we cant carry here in Canada and my range use has dropped sharply, I dont have much use for one. I still have my Ruger P85 Mark II, but just to keep my license in case the itch to get another 1911 ever becomes unbearable lol.

Another one I had and liked in the 90's was a CZ 97 .45. That was a nice, well made gun but it was sure a handful.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yeah there are a few around, but as we cant carry here in Canada and my range use has dropped sharply, I dont have much use for one. I still have my Ruger P85 Mark II, but just to keep my license in case the itch to get another 1911 ever becomes unbearable lol.

Another one I had and liked in the 90's was a CZ 97 .45. That was a nice, well made gun but it was sure a handful.
Why, was it a light gun? I always found the 45 ACP to be quite easy to handle. Of course that may be subjective, as I have only owned a 44 Magnum and 45s. The magnum was fun for about 75 rounds. :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Why, was it a light gun? I always found the 45 ACP to be quite easy to handle. Of course that may be subjective, as I have only owned a 44 Magnum and 45s. The magnum was fun for about 75 rounds. :)

Just the opposite. The CZ 97 I had was an all steel, full framed .45, a large heavy gun that was, literally, hand filling. The weight, naturally, paid dividends in controlling the recoil.

As a rule, I dont shoot large bodied pistols or pistols with high capacity mags very well. My Ruger P85 is a testament to that. I prefer svelte pistols which is why I like the 1911 so much. Plus the fact that I can almost shoot one with my eyes closed. The just fit me better than any other handgun I've ever shot or held.

The only one thats ever come close to that kind of instinctive accuracy for me was a Glock 27 in .40S&W. I love those little guns. The .380 AMT Backup was another one I really liked. I was surprised I shot the S&W 915 as well as I did.

Revolvers are another story. I used shoot my 6" S&W M29 Classic at bowling pins at 100 yards offhand easily and actually had it sighted at 100 yards with a 300 grain Hornady HP. Clay pigeons at 200 yards was fun.

I never had any trouble with a friends Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull or another friends Magnum Research 45/70 BFR either. The recoil never bothered me, but for me and my hands, the grip frame of any handgun is the important part.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just the opposite. The CZ 97 I had was an all steel, full framed .45, a large heavy gun that was, literally, hand filling. The weight, naturally, paid dividends in controlling the recoil.

As a rule, I dont shoot large bodied pistols or pistols with high capacity mags very well. My Ruger P85 is a testament to that. I prefer svelte pistols which is why I like the 1911 so much. Plus the fact that I can almost shoot one with my eyes closed. The just fit me better than any other handgun I've ever shot or held.

The only one thats ever come close to that kind of instinctive accuracy for me was a Glock 27 in .40S&W. I love those little guns. The .380 AMT Backup was another one I really liked. I was surprised I shot the S&W 915 as well as I did.

Revolvers are another story. I used shoot my 6" S&W M29 Classic at bowling pins at 100 yards offhand easily and actually had it sighted at 100 yards with a 300 grain Hornady HP. Clay pigeons at 200 yards was fun.

I never had any trouble with a friends Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull or another friends Magnum Research 45/70 BFR either. The recoil never bothered me, but for me and my hands, the grip frame of any handgun is the important part.
I understand. Like a I said upthread, I had an H&K USP and a Spanish Astra, both in 45 ACP. Both were well shooting guns, but in my hands that cheap Astra was a tack driver. The grip width/thickness was about on par with a 1911, while the USP was thicker. I sure miss that one.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I understand. Like a I said upthread, I had an H&K USP and a Spanish Astra, both in 45 ACP. Both were well shooting guns, but in my hands that cheap Astra was a tack driver. The grip width/thickness was about on par with a 1911, while the USP was thicker. I sure miss that one.

I shot a USP at the club a few years ago. On the indoor range on a standard Bullseye target I couldnt even keep them all on the paper lol. Yet that little Glock 27 put the entire mag into one tight little cluster and my old Sistema Colt would put all 8 into one ragged hole.

I really liked that USP too, its a great gun, if you can shoot it.

Top Bottom