What's new

Rock Island and Iver Johnson opinions

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I knew better than to start wandering around in here :lol: Anyone have opinions on Rock Island or Iver Johnson? I am looking for a 1911 style pistol of reasonable quality that won’t break the bank. I will not be carrying everyday. This will primarily be used on road trips- the wife and I tend to go to places that involve long times in the middle of nowhere, where LE may be 30 minutes away. I don’t need things like rails (IMO it screws up the lines of a classic shape), nor fancy sight systems. This will not be a range gun. I don’t care about driving tacks, but do want to place a 230 grain hollow point reasonably close to where I am aiming in a combat situation.

I am also eyeing the Desert Eagle 1911s- just a little more cost. The graffiti on the slide is a bit much, but not quite as bad in matte black finish.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Rock Island has really improved their reputation the last few years and are putting out some better quality 1911’s at some reasonable budget prices.

However, Kimbers and Springfields they are not. You get what you pay for with firearms usually.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'd look at Taurus, or better yet, find a used very well worn in, but not abused, issue 1911.

One of the most accurate and reliable handguns I've ever owned or shot was an old Argentine Sistema Colt with fixed sights. You could wiggle the slide on the rails and the feed ramp looked like it had been relieved from all the lead that old gun had through it over the years. If you did your part though, it would put the entire magazine into the lid of a coffee cup at 20 yards and it never, not once, jammed.

The friend I sold it to used it for IPSC for three years and still owns it. He retired it and built up a Norinco. Some Norinco's are good out of the box, some need tuning. A friend I have in Texas that carries a Taurus, sold her Kimber to buy it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Rock Island has really improved their reputation the last few years and are putting out some better quality 1911’s at some reasonable budget prices.

However, Kimbers and Springfields they are not. You get what you pay for with firearms usually.
Well, was kind of eyeballing this, too

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'd look at Taurus, or better yet, find a used very well worn in, but not abused, issue 1911.

One of the most accurate and reliable handguns I've ever owned or shot was an old Argentine Sistema Colt with fixed sights. You could wiggle the slide on the rails and the feed ramp looked like it had been relieved from all the lead that old gun had through it over the years. If you did your part though, it would put the entire magazine into the lid of a coffee cup at 20 yards and it never, not once, jammed.

The friend I sold it to used it for IPSC for three years and still owns it. He retired it and built up a Norinco. Some Norinco's are good out of the box, some need tuning. A friend I have in Texas that carries a Taurus, sold her Kimber to buy it.
Years ago I had a .45 ACP (not 1911 style) that was made by a Spanish company, believe the name started with an A. I bought it used as a back up to my HK USP 45. That thing could drive tacks- it would outshoot the USP (at least in my hands). Sadly, someone broke in to our apartment and stole the lockbox that was holding them. They got my .280 Browning A Bolt. The cops eventually recovered the A Bolt, but the pistols likely never will be.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Years ago I had a .45 ACP (not 1911 style) that was made by a Spanish company, believe the name started with an A. I bought it used as a back up to my HK USP 45. That thing could drive tacks- it would outshoot the USP (at least in my hands). Sadly, someone broke in to our apartment and stole the lockbox that was holding them. They got my .280 Browning A Bolt. The cops eventually recovered the A Bolt, but the pistols likely never will be.
Found it- it was an Astra
C2401C1D-5CF2-4535-9EA2-ACFF7624F661.jpeg

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Can’t speak for Iver Johnson, but I have been pleasantly surprised & extremely pleased with an RI 1911 (22TCM/9MM Tac Ultra FS Combo), though like you, I wish its’ rails would just disappear. The majority of Armscor/Rock Island 1911 reviews I’ve perused trend toward the positive, including those who run their 10mms. Their customer service is 1st-rate - my Tac Ultra was somehow scratched during the mfg. process & within a week, I had a new replacement in-hand. Bottom line ... they are very well-made & are quite a bang for the buck. As an aside, Armscor/Rock Island also makes STI Spartan 1911s & all Auto Ordnance 1911s.

Have you had a look @ Springfield’s .45ACP 1911 Defender Mil-spec Defender? I picked one up & it’s also a whole lot of pistol for the sub-$500 asking price.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Can’t speak for Iver Johnson, but I have been pleasantly surprised & extremely pleased with an RI 1911 (22TCM/9MM Tac Ultra FS Combo), though like you, I wish its’ rails would just disappear. The majority of Armscor/Rock Island 1911 reviews I’ve perused trend toward the positive, including those who run their 10mms. Their customer service is 1st-rate - my Tac Ultra was somehow scratched during the mfg. process & within a week, I had a new replacement in-hand. Bottom line ... they are very well-made & are quite a bang for the buck. As an aside, Armscor/Rock Island also makes STI Spartan 1911s & all Auto Ordnance 1911s.

Have you had a look @ Springfield’s .45ACP 1911 Defender Mil-spec Defender? It’s also a whole lot of pistol for the asking price.
I was looking at the full sized Mil-spec that they make (link in previous post). I will look up the Defender when I get home. Work firewall blocks most sites, but somehow Cheaper Than Dirt slides under the radar, and they don’t currently have a Defender in stock.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
At first glance, it reminded me of the of the old S&W 915 I had. Another one I never should have sold.

View attachment 1068244

A friend I had in PA had a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm I tried getting from him for years. He never would part with it. He may even have taken it with him when he died lol.
I have always wanted a Colt, but their prices are highly unreasonable, IMO

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I was looking at the full sized Mil-spec that they make (link in previous post). I will look up the Defender when I get home. Work firewall blocks most sites, but somehow Cheaper Than Dirt slides under the radar, and they don’t currently have a Defender in stock.
Here you go:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here you go:
Thanks- firewall let me through. Now to see what the difference is between this and this

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks- firewall let me through. Now to see what the difference is between this and this
Found the differences. It comes with 1 mag instead of 2- mags are cheap. It comes in a cardboard box instead of polymer- big whoop. Handles are synthetic wood instead of real wood- another big whoop, as I would likely change the grips any way.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Okay, I have talked myself into a Springfield mil-spec (now I have to work on the wife). Looks like a great starting point. Part of the fun with 1911s is replacing parts and customizing it as you go.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here you go:
I have a question-do you belong to their buyers club? If so, how are their savings with ammo? Even with the price of the club and an extra mag, the price is still much better than what I linked to for the regular mil-spec.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have a RI compact tactical and a full size standard model.

Bought the compact tactical first. It's been reliable and a good shooter. Even CC'd it for a couple years

Bought the full size standard a couple years later. It was used but in excellent condition. Never had any issues with it. It's a shooter too. Very first round went through the center of the bulls eye on the target. Only pistol I've ever had do that. Instantly knew it was a keeper.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
In stock for $459 (plus their $12.99 handling fee)

Cool. When I used their filter for Springfield, it didn’t show up. Thanks- I would rather buy local, even if it costs a little more. I want to feel it before I buy it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Top Bottom