What's new

Rocca R95 Maintenance

Probably old news for some; but in case you don't know:

I've got the R95 and R96. Great shave from both and neither of them slips...but the former is getting most of my attention, lately. I just love the feel of the birchbark. Nice look, too:

IMG_0246.jpeg

Although I'm not a true craftsman; I'm pretty handy. And I know that most woods that see a lot of moisture require some attention, over time. So I called the folks at Muhle USA and asked about maintaining that beautiful handle. They said to oil it once a month (which made sense). Directed me to this stuff; which I'm finding does the trick nicely. The little plastic squeeze bottle is just right for the job:

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 2.21.41 PM.png

I am not surprised that Mühle recommends Ballistol.

Such a versatile product, especially if you own a few straight razors and want to protect them between shaves from corrosion.

B.

I am not surprised that Mühle recommends Ballistol.

Such a versatile product, especially if you own a few straight razors and want to protect them between shaves from corrosion.
Right. I saw that it was good for metal, too. Straight edge is on the horizon but I'm enjoying these Roccas in a big way, for now.

Last edited:
It was in use already before WW1. It's decidedly non-toxic and can be used even as salad oil if one doesn't mind the taste, but for wood and in this case bark, linseed oil is a superior choice.
Well that’s good to know in a lotta ways. Thanks!

I've used Howard's Feed-N-Wax on my birch handled Rocca for several years now. I also use it on my wood handled razors and brushes. It has done a good job of protecting everything, and the orange oil smell is quite pleasant compared to some other products.

I've used Howard's Feed-N-Wax on my birch handled Rocca for several years now. I also use it on my wood handled razors and brushes. It has done a good job of protecting everything, and the orange oil smell is quite pleasant compared to some other products.
Another good one to know about...but I'm following Iridian's suggestion and using the Ballistol in my salad dressing. True keeper! ;)
Kidding...though I do like the product.
Invaluable suggestion gitapik….Thanks again!
YW...special razor deserves special treatment

Another good one to know about...but I'm following Iridian's suggestion and using the Ballistol in my salad dressing. True keeper! ;)
Kidding...though I do like the product.

YW...special razor deserves special treatment
Take care of your razor and it will take care of you….😊👍💈🌹

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Since I have adjustable razors, eventually, they will need some maintenance performed on them. I have a bottle of that Wahl clipper oil, comes in a black bottle, red tip? Well, that stuff is a plant based oil, like vegetable oil, only it doesn't smell rank, and it safe to use on razors, it will be perfect for maintaining my razors, I've already used a drop on the threads in the past.

But yes, for wood based maintenance, you should most certainly use what people most recommend for wood, absolutely! Great advice and suggestions for people who have wood handled razors, excellent post!

Since I have adjustable razors, eventually, they will need some maintenance performed on them. I have a bottle of that Wahl clipper oil, comes in a black bottle, red tip? Well, that stuff is a plant based oil, like vegetable oil, only it doesn't smell rank, and it safe to use on razors, it will be perfect for maintaining my razors, I've already used a drop on the threads in the past.

But yes, for wood based maintenance, you should most certainly use what people most recommend for wood, absolutely! Great advice and suggestions for people who have wood handled razors, excellent post!
Thanks so much! Glad to be of service.

Are you a barber? I bought my Wahl clipper set years ago when I decided to cut my own hair. Had noticed my 90 year old barber who was retiring used nothing but Wahl.

I’ve had it for years now. Number 3 attachment all the way and nowadays I ask my wife to square the back with the bare blade. Love it.

Didn’t know that about the vege based oil. Good to know.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Thanks so much! Glad to be of service.

Are you a barber? I bought my Wahl clipper set years ago when I decided to cut my own hair. Had noticed my 90 year old barber who was retiring used nothing but Wahl.

I’ve had it for years now. Number 3 attachment all the way and nowadays I ask my wife to square the back with the bare blade. Love it.

Didn’t know that about the vege based oil. Good to know.

I am not a barber, but I used to go to one. Eventually, the barber in my town raised their prices again, and then decided to start providing a lower quality service for such a price. So, I made the decision to start cutting my own hair. Truth be told, if I had Chris Bosio to do my hair, I would have never left lol.

I began the journey with one of those Wahl Color clippers, uses the color coded guide combs, and uses an electromagnetic motor. I have course thick hair, and the Wahl Color would often snag on my hair, if I asked it to do too much at once. But once the blade started getting dull, it was snagging on my hair all the time.

I decided I would get a new blade for it, took awhile to get the darn thing aligned properly. The new blade did improve it, but only by a little bit. I kept using the clipper for a couple years more, and then I was just fed up with it, 5-years with a consumer grade clipper, thats just enough lol.

I went to barbers to ask them opinions on what PRO clippers they prefer. Then I also came to B&B to find out the same details. I ended up deciding on the Wahl Magic Clips, and because they come with the lower quality guide combs, I also purchased the premium guide combs for my clipper.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hands down, the Wahl Magic Clip's, are the best clippers I ever bought. They never snag on my hair, the rotary motor never complains, it just cuts through my course thick hair like butter! Even after a first time lengthy hair reduction cut with my new clippers, and removal of a beard as well, the battery still had juice in it after the job was done. I highly recommend the 5-Star Wahl Magic clips, a true 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟clipper!

I am not a barber, but I used to go to one. Eventually, the barber in my town raised their prices again, and then decided to start providing a lower quality service for such a price. So, I made the decision to start cutting my own hair. Truth be told, if I had Chris Bosio to do my hair, I would have never left lol.

I began the journey with one of those Wahl Color clippers, uses the color coded guide combs, and uses an electromagnetic motor. I have course thick hair, and the Wahl Color would often snag on my hair, if I asked it to do too much at once. But once the blade started getting dull, it was snagging on my hair all the time.

I decided I would get a new blade for it, took awhile to get the darn thing aligned properly. The new blade did improve it, but only by a little bit. I kept using the clipper for a couple years more, and then I was just fed up with it, 5-years with a consumer grade clipper, thats just enough lol.

I went to barbers to ask them opinions on what PRO clippers they prefer. Then I also came to B&B to find out the same details. I ended up deciding on the Wahl Magic Clips, and because they come with the lower quality guide combs, I also purchased the premium guide combs for my clipper.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hands down, the Wahl Magic Clip's, are the best clippers I ever bought. They never snag on my hair, the rotary motor never complains, it just cuts through my course thick hair like butter! Even after a first time lengthy hair reduction cut with my new clippers, and removal of a beard as well, the battery still had juice in it after the job was done. I highly recommend the 5-Star Wahl Magic clips, a true 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟clipper!
:thumbup1:

Ercole was as old school as you can get and I enjoyed every visit to his shop. Haircuts or shaves, he was right on it until he hung up his cleats. Hand got a little shaky for the shaves at the end but he was a true gentleman.

I've kept my hair very short since I cut it in the '90s. No muss no fuss. Standard thickness. So when I buzz it's easy. Been using this combo for years:

IMG_0435.jpeg

Like the look of your cordless, though. Got me thinking....

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Ercole was as old school as you can get and I enjoyed every visit to his shop. Haircuts or shaves, he was right on it until he hung up his cleats. Hand got a little shaky for the shaves at the end but he was a true gentleman.

I've kept my hair very short since I cut it in the '90s. No muss no fuss. Standard thickness. So when I buzz it's easy. Been using this combo for years:

View attachment 1452606

Like the look of your cordless, though. Got me thinking....

Thats a nice clipper, I think I recognize it, although I know its been awhile since I've seen. I am guessing that has an electromagnetic motor. Easy well to tell, do you hear a HUM sound? Then its electromagnetic. If you hear a BUZZ sound, its a rotary motor. And hey look, its got a taper lever, much required for doing fades and tapers.

I am glad that you are thinking, and while you are thinking, please think on this as well. My Wahl Magic Clips? They can be used cordless or corded! And think on this too, the battery can be replaced if when it goes shot one day. Would you like to have a closer look at the stagger tooth blade? Of course you do!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Mine didn't come with a case either, so I also got one of those for it, and as you can see, everything fits nicely. I also got a better clipper cleaning brush for only a couple dollars off Amazon as well.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And incase you were wondering what the best way to clean a clipper blade is, put some of this Oster Blade Wash into a small tupperware container, then rest the blade in the solution, then turn the clipper on, then rock the taper lever open and closed multiple times. You will see all the gunk come out of the blade. Cleans and lubricates, top shelf stuff.

proxy.php

Thats a nice clipper, I think I recognize it, although I know its been awhile since I've seen. I am guessing that has an electromagnetic motor. Easy well to tell, do you hear a HUM sound? Then its electromagnetic. If you hear a BUZZ sound, its a rotary motor. And hey look, its got a taper lever, much required for doing fades and tapers.

I am glad that you are thinking, and while you are thinking, please think on this as well. My Wahl Magic Clips? They can be used cordless or corded! And think on this too, the battery can be replaced if when it goes shot one day. Would you like to have a closer look at the stagger tooth blade? Of course you do!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Mine didn't come with a case either, so I also got one of those for it, and as you can see, everything fits nicely. I also got a better clipper cleaning brush for only a couple dollars off Amazon as well.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And incase you were wondering what the best way to clean a clipper blade is, put some of this Oster Blade Wash into a small tupperware container, then rest the blade in the solution, then turn the clipper on, then rock the taper lever open and closed multiple times. You will see all the gunk come out of the blade. Cleans and lubricates, top shelf stuff.

proxy.php
Nothing like passion.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
It's a great setup. I can appreciate passion and am definitely seeing it here. Lots of good info, too. Thanks. Looks like an awesome unit.

Top Bottom