What's new

Rocca, 3one6, or A13

Considering picking up another razor to go along with my R89 twist. I like a really nice finished product and prefer a mild type razor. I tried an R41, didn’t like it. I prefer the Astra blade as well only been shaving with a safety for a couple years the A13 is very intriguing but I am concerned I may not like the light weight.

Thoughts on the EJ and Rocca?

The Rocca and 3one6 are halfway between the R89 and R41. The Rocca has a little more weight, more girth in the handle, and feels smoother. I prefer the 3one6 as it provides more blade feel and a touch more efficiency. The Henson is a wonderful mild yet efficient razor, but it is indeed light in weight.

The Rocca and 3one6 are halfway between the R89 and R41. The Rocca has a little more weight, more girth in the handle, and feels smoother. I prefer the 3one6 as it provides more blade feel and a touch more efficiency. The Henson is a wonderful mild yet efficient razor, but it is indeed light in weight.
Can you define blade feel more? Sorry kind of new to this and limited in the term. I can reference the R41 I tried seemed to almost take a layer of skin off compared to the r89. The R89 just glides in comparison.

Can you define blade feel more? Sorry kind of new to this and limited in the term. I can reference the R41 I tried seemed to almost take a layer of skin off compared to the r89. The R89 just glides in comparison.
I think you gave an excellent definition to blade feel in your reference of the 41 and 89.😊👍💈

Sounds like the R41 gave a good lesson in "blade forward" and "blade feel." It is the sensation of the blade engaging the hairs as it shaves. It comes from a combination of blade gap (space between baseplate and blade) and blade exposure (where the sharp edge of the blade sits in relation to an imaginary plane along the edge of the baseplate to the edge of the topcap; protruding beyond the plane=postive blade exposure, at the line=neutral, behind the line=negative).

The infinite combinations of gap/exposure/angle of blade torque . . . explain the variety of razors available. Knowing the specs does not at all tell you how a razor will shave. For example, the magic of the Henson Al13 mild is that there is absolutely no blade feel at all, yet it has positive blade exposure.

The Rocca increases the efficiency over the R89 while maintaining a comfortable feel. I feel the blade a bit more in the Rocca, but it is a comfortable feel. The 3one6 lets you feel the blade a little more than the Rocca, but I like that sensation. It is not a "rough" or "tuggy" feel, but it lets me know when the blade is engaging the hair better.

You would say the Rocca is more comfortable? As in glides on the skin with less feel then
Yes. For me I could not get my jawline sufficiently smooth with the Rocca, so I sold it. I get higher efficiency with the 3one6.
Your remarks about Henson is what keeps me intrigued
I am a fan of the Henson, and there are many fans on this site. I have let acquaintances borrow mine, and they did not like it. Here are my thoughts when I used the Mild and Medium side-by-side:

I have all 3 of these razors. They all shave really well...just get there a little differently. I can get very close, comfortable shaves with all 3 of these razors, but blade feel and smoothness are a little different between them. @ewk pretty much nails it with his insight. For me, I use the Ti22 medium version of the Henson as the Al was just too light weight so if you don't like light weight, you may not like the Al13, but it does shave well.

The Rocca and 3one6 shave very similar to me, though I do feel slightly more blade feel with the 3one6, but it is by no means uncomfortable.....they all shave really smooth. The 3one6 is just a bit more efficient compared to the Rocca, but not by much. I like the looks and handle better on the Rocca. The Henson is the most efficient by just a small margin for me compared to the other 2.

No way you could go wrong with any of these razors IMHO.

I went looking for the 3one6 and found it on a certain retail site. Am I crazy or do you all see what I see?

49147830-2A46-4063-8632-CF9547DE0455.png

I love the rocca. It’s my favorite muhle. Never really liked the 89 or the 41.

I prefer the rocca to the Ej 316. The handle feels better, and I don’t like the horizontal lines on the Ej safety bar. That said, the geometries are pretty much identical as far as I can tell.

I have a Henson al13 medium, and I love it. That said, the mild must be VERY mild, since the medium is pretty mild for me.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I would take the Rocca or 3ONE6 and decide by what looks better to you, and maybe by price point/availability.

The Henson is awesome, but a bit special. Doesn't give much leeway when shaving, but that's the point of the design.

Hope I'll not forget to post my feedback, as just ordered Rocca R94, but as for Henson I can say it's a seamless transition from cartridges, and that's where all similarities ends. It's super efficient, mild, blade feel is marginal but it cuts like crazy! No clogging, no tugging, they designed it quite remarkable, I'm still under impression. It gives me one of the easiest and smoothest BBS shaves, however, I somehow "don't feel it"... like - ok, blade is there, no chatter, no wiggle, but due to it's in-built shave angle it's like I don't have anything to do. Not like "DE for dummies" that would sound offensive, but almost as error-proof, if can be named like that. So I always feel like something is missing in terms of shave experience (no attention, no adjustments, no technique improvements, nothing) just - lather up and shave. Like auto-pilot. If you enjoy those shaves - go for it, it's wonderfully smooth and with 0% of nick & irritation risk. For persons who are just starting with DE - could work like charm and probably won't need anything much. If you shave daily for work - you can get 2pass BBS while half-sleep. Beautiful design, beautiful machining... nothing to complain for ~70$... maybe light weight due to AL but I really don't see a single thing to complain about.

I'll owe you R94 share of thoughts :)

The first versions of the Rocca might have been halfway between the R89 and R41. Not so with the current R94 v4 which has been in stores for the last 1-2 years. It has been made milder compared to the earlier versions. I'd say v4 is closer to R89 than to R41.

Top Bottom