What's new

Rob's Travel Kit (Canadian) PIF

Glad to hear it's going well for you. The only problem I am running into is I need to find a nice little blade bank for travel. Those half blades need to be disposed of carefully!

Glad to hear it's going well for you. The only problem I am running into is I need to find a nice little blade bank for travel. Those half blades need to be disposed of carefully!
Got anything specific in mind? I owe ya one! Lol

My only worry about travelling with most of the blade banks I see is is the blades might find their way back out of the slot while everything is being jostled around. There are always the vintage Gillette banks with the removable top though, which would probably work well and look good doing so.

Or, on the uber cheap, a Tic Tac container!

Tic tac container. Brilliant!!!! I already have one of the slotted blade banks but worry about blades falling out in my bag. Especially 1/2's. Tic tac container would be perfect. Thanks!

Still going. Have had early mornings but am still trying one pass a day.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I happened to use mine with a Polsilver Iridium last night. First time using this blade. Very nice! Very smooth, no tugging! No irritation!

I happened to use mine with a Polsilver Iridium last night. First time using this blade. Very nice! Very smooth, no tugging! No irritation!
Sooner or later I'm going to be bold and load a feather in this thing. That should be fun.

Did I mention that I am now window shopping straights and other shavettes? ...and here I thought my RAD would be limited to DE's. Foolish me.

HA! no it is a viscous circle! I went DE, Straight, Shavette. Mostly cause people made the Shavettes seem too scary. I love my straight razors, it is just a bit of a pain staying on top of the maintenance and all when I'm away in camp. I did it for a long time but for now I'm saving my straights for when I'm home.
If you are thinking about a straight pick up a sight unseen and poor mans strop kit from Larry at Whippeddog. Cant go wrong. You will get a nice sharp razor and everything you need to maintain it for a while for a cheap price. Really good guy to deal with too!

HA! no it is a viscous circle! I went DE, Straight, Shavette. Mostly cause people made the Shavettes seem too scary. I love my straight razors, it is just a bit of a pain staying on top of the maintenance and all when I'm away in camp. I did it for a long time but for now I'm saving my straights for when I'm home.
If you are thinking about a straight pick up a sight unseen and poor mans strop kit from Larry at Whippeddog. Cant go wrong. You will get a nice sharp razor and everything you need to maintain it for a while for a cheap price. Really good guy to deal with too!

Thanks for the advice. A lot of people seem to recommend whipped dog so I'll probably end up going that route when I finally decide to pull the trigger and make a purchase. Was eyeballing some vintage straights on ebay, but there's always the concern that I don't know enough yet and might end up with something that's not even serviceable, and even if it were I'd need to ship it off for an initial honing driving the purchase price even higher. Larry sounds like the way to go!

I had the luxury of time for my shave tonight so I finally got around to trying the shavette!

I used an Astra SP blade, as per provided by Rob.

I only used the shavette for the first pass and did the cheeks, chin and upper neck. It felt AWKWARD! I didn't even attempt under the nose (mustache area) nor the lower neck. I ended up getting a pretty big weeper on the chin.

I finished up the shave with my Merkur 34c with Feather blade. Ahhh.. Like putting on a old pair of comfortable slippers. What a contrast!

All in all, it was a fairly successful (albeit tentative) first experience with a shavette/straight razor. It wasn't the most enjoyable or relaxing shave but I'm sure it'll get easier the more I try it. I think I'm going to have to watch more YouTube videos ;)

Thanks again Rob for the great PIF and allowing me to take my first step beyond DE shaving!

Today is a slow save day and I brought out the shavette again. The first pass was going swimmingly until I was almost done and I tried to put a Kirk Douglas cleft into my chin. I finished the shave with Scruffy and used a lot of Styptic before the blood would quit and I could apply Nivea Cool Kick ASB and Avon Wild Country.

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

So for five days I made lots of lather and did a complete WTG pass (no blade) with the shavette. Using both hands and really paying attention to no pressure and keeping blade even on my face. Then I would shave with the DE. So tonight I loaded an Astra SP in the shavette and did a complete WTG pass. No blood and a DFS, but I did do a ATG with DE to finish. Going to keep practicing using both hands and do one pass a night with shavette till I get comfortable with one direction and then try the others. Really enjoying the challenge of doing a good job with this razor. Can't say THANKS enough for the PIF.

Glad to hear your having success! I only do WTG and a cross grain swipe along the jaw line. CCS every time! Sometimes I feel we get too caught up with ATG. With a straight or aggressive DE I don't feel it's always necessary for a good shave. I battle ingrown hairs so I avoid ATG.

Had myself another shavette shave today. I believe this will be the third shave using the same half GSB. Once again, preshave consisted of a normal shower. Soap, this time, was a puck of Williams I picked up the other day from the grocery store. This is my first time using Williams, and had no trouble creating lather with it. Using hot water and my mug scuttle I loaded my Omega boar brush, then whipped up the lather in my stainless shaving bowl adding water as necessary.

Shave went well, although it seems like this blades sharpness might be falling off. Did a WTG pass, relathered, then an XTG pass, then did a bunch of touch ups with lots of buffing.

This was easily the quickest of my shavette shaves, and as such I ended up with a minor weeper on my neck which closed up with a cold water rinse. A bit of sting from the alum pretty much overall. Might have gone a little too far with the buffing, but little redness or obvious burn so not too bad. Finished up with a splash of witch hazel and once dry followed up with some Skin Bracer.

Good shave, but think I'll load a fresh blade next time... and when that one is dull I'm gonna be bold and try a half a Feather.

Three is around the max number of shaves for me too. I hear so many people get a lot more but the blades are so cheap that I change em often as I like a nice fresh blade.

Top Bottom