What's new

Robot vacuums

Ad Astra

The Instigator
šŸ¤” Who has which, and does it work?

We just picked up the Wyze machine on Prime Day.

Charging now. At least it will terrorize the cat! šŸ¤£

AA
Ā 
We have an iRobot Rhoomba and it works surprisingly well! It bounces around the room randomly and over period of cleanings it does a thorough job. It gets under any furniture it can and sometimes gets stuck.
Ā 

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I want one, and Iā€™d get oneā€¦if it werenā€™t for the dog. I know he would drive himself crazy baring at it and trying to eat it. And in turnā€¦drive us crazy!
Ā 

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Got the Shark RV1001AE, which creates a map, and vacuums till full, goes back to the dock and empties itself, then resumes till the map is covered.
Works so well that we bought a second one for the upstairs.
Ā 

Ad Astra

The Instigator
šŸ¤” Yes. Had to fight wife on this one, someone we know didn't like their Roomba... But there are tons of models! Probably a low-end one. So I read reviews and got this Wyze for its advanced LIDAR. Makes a super accurate map, then does neat rows.

Impressed so far!

šŸ¤” Cat is unimpressed, but wary.

AA
Ā 
Last edited:
We have the Deebot and love it. We named it R2. Cheap entertainment watching the cat stalk it, the run up and smack it a few time.
Ā 

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1625261721036.png
Ā 
Bit of a love/hate relationship with my Roomba I3+.

It's mostly positive, especially compared to its ancestors. I bought two Roombas when they were a new thing, and they were horrible (the second was to replace the first, which broke quickly). It seemed like less trouble to vacuum myself, than to deal with the constant emptying of the tiny bin, and the untangling of dog hairs that would allow it to function again. So I ignored the whole robot vacuum thing for a lot of years.

It's much better now. The base is a genuinely powerful vacuum that can empty the robot. The robot itself rarely finds the whole house, but it does OK, and finds most parts sometime during the week. I have one chair that is Roomba Death, the perfect height for it to get stuck under. If I leave a sliding glass door open, Roomba will venture out and get its belly stuck.

But mostly it has good days and bad days. Every day at 9:00 AM, it starts up. Sometimes it gets stuck and I have to rescue it before 10:00 AM. Some days, it finds its way back to base and keeps recharging and going out until 4PM or so. Lately it is in the habit of alerting my phone, saying it's stuck, but when I go look, there it is on the base, charging up.

So it's hard to get much fondness for it. But when my network had issues, and it didn't run for a few days, I got a look at what my floors look like when it doesn't run. That makes me like it anyway.
Ā 
Someone gave me a Roomba with a bad battery, $15 fix. We have 3 longhaired cats and a Husky dog. The Roomba quickly choked. We fill a full-sized Dyson with dog hair twice a week. The Roomba is in charge of vaccuming the garage now.
Ā 

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That's one of the things I really like about the Shark. We have an English Mastiff that sheds enough hair every day to make a new dog.
The shark has a self cleaning roller. The hair doesn't cause any problems.
Ā 
When we first got the Dyson, we thoroughly vacuumed with our old Hoover Windtunnel, then followed up with the Dyson. The Dyson hopper was completely full even after the Hoover pass. Our Husky girl blows her coat twice a year, but sheds CONSTANTLY. When her coat is blowing, you can grab dense handfulls of old underfur and pull it out with no effort. Sometimes I take her outside and give her a thorough dusting with my air compressor, she LOVES it. Just google for pictures of "Husky Blowing Coat" - they are NOT exaggerations.

Ā 
I believe ours is the Shark IQ with the self emptying dock. As @luvmysuper mentioned, it really helps with the dog hair. But I will say it's also not perfect, and we do need to still vacuum with our standup regularly as well. It does have a tendency to get "lost" in some areas and then run out of battery. Our dog leave it alone.

One other thing with the Shark. One of the motorized wheels essentially stopped working. I thought it might be because hair clogging the gearbox based on a YouTube troubleshooting video. But after taking it apart, that wasn't the case. I called Shark's customer service, and they said they would send me a new robot...I'd just need to move over some of the components from my existing one to the new one. This, obviously, made me quite happy. When I received the replacement, it was actually a complete vaccuum including another dock. SO, another positive customer service experience.
Ā 
Top Bottom