What's new

Robert Williams Purist Razor

In the last month or so, nearly a half dozen of these have gone up for sale on the BST or eBay. Any speculation as to the sudden availability of them after such a long period of being hard to find? I realize this is kind of a gossipy post rather than informative, but after the fifth or sixth went up the other day, it struck me as distinctly odd.

$DSC_0167_zps2548e688.jpg

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
There have been a "gaggle" of these available I agree. I thought the same. Doesn't appeal to me but I recognize the craftsmanship and perhaps they don't quite fit the bill for those who sprung for them. Tastes change so they find their way to the secondary market.

There have been a "gaggle" of these available I agree. I thought the same. Doesn't appeal to me but I recognize the craftsmanship and perhaps they don't quite fit the bill for those who sprung for them. Tastes change so they find their way to the secondary market.

All that makes sense, Mike, especially if that happened gradually, but the appearance of so many in such a short space of time is striking. Of course, one of my old logician friends used to point out to me whenever anyone said "it can't be a coincidence..." that "of course there are coincidences...all the time. Statistically it wouldn't make sense otherwise." That may be all there is to this.

I don't know about the others I really like my Purist. It takes a great edge and gets a lot of use. I enjoy the fixed blade kamasori style and have several. Definitely an aquired taste though.

Neat razors. I would love one (I think), but I don't want one sitting out all day, every day (I know).

I really enjoy mine.

Many (relatively speaking) became available as new/from vendors over the last 6-9 months after being very difficult to spot for quite some time as Mark said.
I would guess the increase in availability to purchase as new has had some trickle down to the BST.

Last edited:
Maybe some guys were caught up in the whole "minimalist" craze that was going on for a while there and put these up for sale in a moment of weakness?

I imagine people saw what they were selling for and figured now was the time to let it go and replace it with something else.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Maybe some guys were caught up in the whole "minimalist" craze that was going on for a while there and put these up for sale in a moment of weakness?

I love starting dangerous trends...( then abandoning them...and restarting them...and aban........)

Beautiful razor I had one made for me back in the day. It was to be straight no waves and with no finger notches but it came wavy with the finger notches and I didn't like it for that reason only. To me it just didnt feel right in the hadn but I held on to it any way and sold it when times got tight.

Beautiful razor I had one made for me back in the day. It was to be straight no waves and with no finger notches but it came wavy with the finger notches and I didn't like it for that reason only. To me it just didnt feel right in the hadn but I held on to it any way and sold it when times got tight.

The Purist definitely has an unusual grip if you use the notches. Fingers all up by the blade makes it feel short. I also have a Sprecher fixed blade with a square tapered handle. Gives you different grip options. More like a traditional kamasori.

WELCOME BACK!:thumbup:

I imagine people saw what they were selling for and figured now was the time to let it go and replace it with something else.

+1 that would be my guess. You see the same thing happen with W&B choppers, 1 goes on sale and sells for $300+ and next thing you know there's 5 of them up the next day. Same with Escher hones. 1 Escher will sell for upwards of $800 and then suddenly BOOM 5 more pop up each week until the prices die down a little bit due to over-saturation. The stones however tend to just keep going up due to people with too much money reading threads about how they are "the best stone...blah blah blah" when really an unlabled version will get the job done just as well most of the time.

Top Bottom