What's new

Robert Becker Scuttle - Two Thumbs Up

Last week I picked up a Robert Becker scuttle off "the world's largest online marketplace." It arrived yesterday and I used it for the first time this morning.

All I can say is ... MAJOR SHAVE DEN UPGRADE ...

I filled the scuttle with hot tap water, then used my regular face prep (shower and Neutrogena face scrub). After I got out of the shower I drained and refilled the scuttle with hot tap water, put the stopper in, and mixed up the usual amount of cream (in this case, TOBS Almond). The razor and blade were a Slim Adjustable (set to "5") and Personna Blue. This morning's brush was an older model Crabtree & Evelyn Super Badger (basically, a Face Mop) with a pretty big (24 - 26mm?) knot.

Bottom line: I got a *great* shave. Using hot tap water, the lather stayed comfortably warm -- with no noticeable temperature variation -- for all three passes. Maybe it's my imagination, but I think my neck was smoother than usual after the second pass and I needed very little buffing or touch-up after the third. Just a rinse and a little after shave. No nicks, no weepers, and no irritation.

I definitely think the scuttle made a difference ... this was my third shave with this particular blade, and a I got a better result than I had yesterday with the same razor, same blade, and same cream. It's not a perfectly controlled experiment, to be sure, but if I think the warm lather helps me to get a better shave, it probably will. And it feels great, which is justification enough, especially if it helps me get to work in halfway decent frame of mind.

My scuttle is a "medium" size, described as holding about 2-1/2 cups of water. I found it large enough to accommodate a substantial brush and I like that it's small enough that it doesn't need a lot of counter top space. I assume that the relatively modest size helps it hold heat better as well. The cost was $23.50 plus ten bucks shipping, neither of which seem outrageous. I'm no pottery expert, but the finish is attractive and it looks good on the bathroom counter.

My wife will eventually notice it and ask me what that teapot is doing in the bathroom, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

For the record, I have no affiliation whatsoever with Mr. Becker.

His scuttles get a lot of love around here. I personally have a Dirty Bird 1.5, but I gave my buddy a Becker for Christmas last year and he loves it. It's amazing how much one piece of gear can improve the whole experience.

I have a robert becker medium scuttle in cosmic blue with a matching square brush and razor holder.He is great to order from and makes quiality product i recommend them to everyone.

He has a website but it is almost imposable to find (even searching for his name does not bring it up). I've talked to him about making a more search engine friendly site. Even offered him some suggestions for free software that would make it easier on him. Hopefully he takes heed. His products get great reviews but on the web he is the invisible man.

His website is: http://robertsfeatsofclay.com/

If I had not gone so "razor crazy" this month I would have ordered one of his scuttles already.

Just sent him an e-mail, but I'm surprised the OP was able to buy one on eBay as I am completely unable to locate his listings there.

I realize this is VERY lame but I have no idea on these things. You put super hot water in the large pot area and thrust your brush down the spout area. So how does the brush get hot - just from the proximity of the hot water?

I used to think this as well based on other scuttle designs I had seen and that's why I never cared for one. But I think it's purpose is not to shove your brush down there, it's to keep the lather bowl warm.

I guess if the spout is large enough you could dip your brush in for some warm water as well.

But I'm a noob, I'm sure some others here will speak up as well.

BTW, got an order placed with Robert....looking forward to trying one out.

Simple enough, really. You fill both bowls, inner and outer, with hot water. Once the scuttle is suitably warmed up, pour out all the water. Refill the spout with hot water and leave the bowl empty. Build your lather in the toasty bowl and the water keeps it warm for you through multiple passes. Viola!

No pictures!

Looks like this:

proxy.php

Robert is a great guy to do business with. I just picked up a shaving / soap bowl with lid to match the scuttle that I got from him a while back. He does some quality work.

Attachments

• $4_inch_cactus_sand_shaving_bowl_2.jpg
    $4_inch_cactus_sand_shaving_bowl_2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 264
  • $4_inch_cactus_sand_shaving_bowl_1.jpg
    $4_inch_cactus_sand_shaving_bowl_1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 264
I have the #9 design with the brush-soaking reservoir. It gets used in most of my shaves, unless I feel like face-lathering.

proxy.php

A friend of my makes ceramic mugs, pots, etc. I asked if he could make me a nice scuttle similar to the ones here. Hopefully it turns out well, reading your description of how great they are makes me really excited!

Top Bottom