What's new

Roasters, what are your top beans to roast or fav coffees, if roasting, roasting notes tips welcomed

Most Ethiopian beans are very forgiving.I prefer Natural process to Washed process, but Washed has more wiggle room to the dark side IMO.

I used to stop the roast when first crack was done popping for a baseline roast, and adjust my roast time from there. Lighter can give you more floral notes, but you run the risk of vegetal or grassy notes. Darker is still good, to a point. I hate the bitterness that comes from scorched sugars, but it's more drinkable than wood tea.

If you're into darker stuff, Guatemala Huehuetenango is one of my favorites. I don't usually take it dark for myself, but I have a lot of friends that like it darker. Great with cream. My uncle likes it black and super dark & oily.

My favorite I've roasted was a Guatemala Acatenango Gesha. 2/3 of the roasts were absolutely divine. It was the lightest I've roasted anything, and I typically lean light. I don't recommend roasting Gesha coffees until you get very comfortable with your roaster. They are pricey and easy to mess up. They're killer when you nail it though!

Most Ethiopian beans are very forgiving.I prefer Natural process to Washed process, but Washed has more wiggle room to the dark side IMO.

I used to stop the roast when first crack was done popping for a baseline roast, and adjust my roast time from there. Lighter can give you more floral notes, but you run the risk of vegetal or grassy notes. Darker is still good, to a point. I hate the bitterness that comes from scorched sugars, but it's more drinkable than wood tea.

If you're into darker stuff, Guatemala Huehuetenango is one of my favorites. I don't usually take it dark for myself, but I have a lot of friends that like it darker. Great with cream. My uncle likes it black and super dark & oily.

My favorite I've roasted was a Guatemala Acatenango Gesha. 2/3 of the roasts were absolutely divine. It was the lightest I've roasted anything, and I typically lean light. I don't recommend roasting Gesha coffees until you get very comfortable with your roaster. They are pricey and easy to mess up. They're killer when you nail it though!
Thx you, very useful information

IMG_20230305_105630.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My current and long-time favorite is the Moka Kadir espresso blend from Sweet Maria's. My advice on that one is to slow it down a little (but just a little) and be prepared for a long first crack. The blend contains a pretty wild mix of beans that crack at different points. I like it best when dropped when it is right on the very edge of second crack (maybe get a tick or few as it drops). That preserves a little dark fruit from the Ethopian while letting the cocoa light up in the Yemeni. Any more than that, and it starts to get too much unsweetened chocolate. I do roast for espresso.

My current and long-time favorite is the Moka Kadir espresso blend from Sweet Maria's. My advice on that one is to slow it down a little (but just a little) and be prepared for a long first crack. The blend contains a pretty wild mix of beans that crack at different points. I like it best when dropped when it is right on the very edge of second crack (maybe get a tick or few as it drops). That preserves a little dark fruit from the Ethopian while letting the cocoa light up in the Yemeni. Any more than that, and it starts to get too much unsweetened chocolate. I do roast for espresso.
Sounds delicious 😀

Top Bottom