What's new

roaster under construction

Being assembled.

It should be on its way to me soon.

Screenshot_20210113-204447_Messenger-01.jpeg

Wow--amazing setup! And nearly six square inches of counter space still available! While I love the shiny espresso tools, that classic Bunn in the corner carries its own special vibe. And I appreciate your fondness for manual pour drips, too.

Grats Mick, looks pretty good. Is that a 2kg machine? The drum looks about the same size as mine but the form factor is a bit different. Will this sit on a table top (or cart) or will it be built with some structure underneath so it can roll around? Do you have a picture of the exhaust fan/piping? I assume it comes off the side of the bean chute on the side the guy is standing

What machine did you settle on? After just shy of 100 roasts on mine I have a few things that I would have done differently if I was going to build the "perfect" roaster so I am interested in seeing more pics of the guts of the machine.

This reminds me I need to roast again tomorrow or there will be a critical coffee shortage.

Ruckin :cuppa:

Classic? Is that what it is? We have one at work and I think of it more as an antique.

The 2 that I have are new.

They still make several variations.

So far I have not found a brewer that makes better tasting coffee. They are BIG boiler machines. Temp does not change from start to finish.

Almost ALL coffee brewers are thermal plate machines. Cold water is "pumped" through a thermal plate where it is warmed on the way to the brew basket.

Bunn has a boiler 2.5 times larger than the brew capacity. There are no pumps. Water Taken in (either plumbed/timed or pour in) displaces the hot water forcing the hot water to the brew basket.

All that said, after more than 20 years using Buun commercial brewers I now use Moccamaster thermal plate brewers. Physical size, brew batch size, time, convenience are the main reasons. Bunn makes a better cup of coffee, just not that much better to devote most of the counter to it.

There...... I've said it

This is my "other" CW-15 brewer.

20201007_140220-01.jpeg

Grats Mick, looks pretty good. Is that a 2kg machine? The drum looks about the same size as mine but the form factor is a bit different. Will this sit on a table top (or cart) or will it be built with some structure underneath so it can roll around? Do you have a picture of the exhaust fan/piping? I assume it comes off the side of the bean chute on the side the guy is standing

What machine did you settle on? After just shy of 100 roasts on mine I have a few things that I would have done differently if I was going to build the "perfect" roaster so I am interested in seeing more pics of the guts of the machine.

This reminds me I need to roast again tomorrow or there will be a critical coffee shortage.

Ruckin :cuppa:

Yes, it is a 2 kilo machine. Table top. I have a 24" high 48×30 SS restaurant equipment stand on 5" casters.

I am having it built to my specifications, taking the best points from a number of modern roasters. It has been a long process but I think that I will be satisfied.

The 2 that I have are new.

They still make several variations.

So far I have not found a brewer that makes better tasting coffee. They are BIG boiler machines. Temp does not change from start to finish.

Almost ALL coffee brewers are thermal plate machines. Cold water is "pumped" through a thermal plate where it is warmed on the way to the brew basket.

Bunn has a boiler 2.5 times larger than the brew capacity. There are no pumps. Water Taken in (either plumbed/timed or pour in) displaces the hot water forcing the hot water to the brew basket.

All that said, after more than 20 years using Buun commercial brewers I now use Moccamaster thermal plate brewers. Physical size, brew batch size, time, convenience are the main reasons. Bunn makes a better cup of coffee, just not that much better to devote most of the counter to it.

There...... I've said it

This is my "other" CW-15 brewer.

View attachment 1209115
I’ve discovered that when we come in to work that the very first pot of the morning is stronger than usual and has less coffe. So I’ve started running some water out of the hot water spigot until I hear the float valve trigger. At that point I let the boiler “top off”. I then hear the rumbling of the heating element warming the water. Once that sounds starts to diminish, I push the brew button. This results in a consistent pot of coffee. I’m wondering if the low boiler level is a sign of a defective float valve, or if it just the nature of the beast.

I’ve discovered that when we come in to work that the very first pot of the morning is stronger than usual and has less coffe. So I’ve started running some water out of the hot water spigot until I hear the float valve trigger. At that point I let the boiler “top off”. I then hear the rumbling of the heating element warming the water. Once that sounds starts to diminish, I push the brew button. This results in a consistent pot of coffee. I’m wondering if the low boiler level is a sign of a defective float valve, or if it just the nature of the beast.

Water temp is adjustable behind the front cover plate. The machine "should have" been adjusted for altitude by who ever installed it.

The temp is just fine, it’s the water level that’s the problem.

Short pot for the 1st one?

It must be left on all night and the boiler Evaporated some. Shut it down at night. Just remember that the boiler must come up to temp after it is turned on

OR

As you do, purge it with the hot water dispenser to remove some water and the auto fill engages. You should wait until the boiler shuts off before brewing for the most consistent taste.

Short pot for the 1st one?

It must be left on all night and the boiler Evaporated some. Shut it down at night. Just remember that the boiler must come up to temp after it is turned on

OR

As you do, purge it with the hot water dispenser to remove some water and the auto fill engages. You should wait until the boiler shuts off before brewing for the most consistent taste.
I always do the second suggestion.

Nice Mick, I have about a zillion questions but I start by saying it looks very purdy. :thumbup1:

Is it electric or gas/propane? I see the barb on the back but it doesn't look like any gas fitting I have seen.
What are the two analog guages for? Are they amps or maybe vacuum or gas flow?
It looks like your tray cover will be alot harder to remove than mine was. For some reason I like to poke at my beans while they are in the cooling tray :blushing:
The lever bean dump is interesting. Mine is cruder than yours but I like the floor falling method better than the slider on my brother's Ambex.
I see a t-couple right above the drum door. I assume that is bean temp? Will it be low enough to be in the beans if you make a smaller roast? Mine is lower in the drum.
Does it have any interface that will allow you to record roasts with Artisan or similar?
Also from a usability point of view I see the chaff cyclone it quick release from the exhaust, but there is a pressure sensor (?) line hard wired to the back of the machine... does this connection also have a quick connect?

I have a bunch more questions but don't want to get in the way of letting you play with your new toy.

Ruckin.

Top Bottom