What's new

roaster under construction

Propane dual feed. Piezo light standing pilot. Second feed to ten burners. The barb gas connection might be for testing.

Screenshot_20210116-230156_Gallery-02.jpeg

There are 4 drilled/plugged BT locations.

Gauges are air flow and gas pressure

Screenshot_20210116-225236_Messenger-01.jpeg

Artisan usb connectivity

There is a "clogged exhaust" sensor that will reverse the airflow during an emergency air flow problem

I'll have a better idea of function once I get it.

Thank you for the quick responses. I would be fibbin if I said I was not at least a bit jealous. 🤔

I look forward to hearing the good/bad and ugly after you get some roasts on it. When I bought my roaster I was told to do some roasts to break it in and burn off all the manufacturing oils. I can't remember the exact number but I think it was less than 10. The first one was max gas flow and take the beans to 450F or so and then let the beans cool in the turning drum. It came out looking a bit like mini-charcoal. I bought 50 lbs of the cheapest beans I could find to do the break in. The last couple I used to try to actually work on the beginnings of the profile that I now use.

My roaster has variable drum speed but I generally just keep it on max rpm (about 60). I have variable exhaust fan speed and adjust it during the roast, I also have a needle valve to control gas flow.

I also like your custom plaque on the front. :thumbup1:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
So far I have not found a brewer that makes better tasting coffee.

Preachin' to the choir, Brother...

I've been using Bunns at home for...counts back, takes off shoes, runs out of things to count...probably 40 years.

I bought a heavy-duty timer intended for controlling block heaters in trucks. Always hot first thing in the morning.

O.H.

Preachin' to the choir, Brother...

I've been using Bunns at home for...counts back, takes off shoes, runs out of things to count...probably 40 years.

I bought a heavy-duty timer intended for controlling block heaters in trucks. Always hot first thing in the morning.

O.H.

Those that might disagree have never lived with a Bunn

Those that know are too busy enjoying the coffee they make.

I have owned 8 Bunns over the decades. Still have 2 of them. Both stainless steel CW-15 models (single under the brew no extra warmers)

I guess my objection to bunn is too much crappy office or diner coffee. Never dawned on me to grab one of my own and see if I could actually make a good cup of coffee. If it has good temp control you should be able to dial in some pretty good coffee.

I would be interested in hearing what you are going to do w.r.t. the break in/learning curve before you get the feel for the machine and make drinkable roasts.

The taste of coffee is fleeting. It will taste differently 20 minutes after brewing, and again an hour after brewing.

Sitting on a "warmer" for 10 minutes will change the taste. Pouring into a carafe that isn't heated will change the taste

Microwaving coffee changes the taste.

Now this is after you have found out how to store green, how to roast, and how to brew.

I am amazed that anyone likes coffee with as many ways their is to ruin the flavor.

The taste of coffee is fleeting. It will taste differently 20 minutes after brewing, and again an hour after brewing.

Sitting on a "warmer" for 10 minutes will change the taste. Pouring into a carafe that isn't heated will change the taste

Microwaving coffee changes the taste.

Now this is after you have found out how to store green, how to roast, and how to brew.

I am amazed that anyone likes coffee with as many ways their is to ruin the flavor.
But when it is good, it is very good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
"It's a long way from tipperary"

Boat sales 27th to NYC. Truck to me. Feb 18th here.
Thanks Mick, for some reason I was thinking it was basically just around the corner from you so to speak. I didn’t realise it was that far away.

Thanks Mick, for some reason I was thinking it was basically just around the corner from you so to speak. I didn’t realise it was that far away.

Dealing directly with the manufacturer as I had so many customization requirements.

If it isn't rude I would be interested in who made your hot rod roaster. I also look forward to the break in and early impressions.

Rolled in last Thursday. Tested all the electrics. Yesterday got the plumbing bits to hook it up.

Hoping today to feed some gas to it and burn off the oils from manufacturing.

It's not going to be easy getting it in and out of the garage. Roaster and cart weigh in right around 400 pounds.

Need to figure out a plan "B"

Thursday pic just after the freight semi pulled away.

Attachments

• 20210402_141409-01.jpeg
    20210402_141409-01.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 20
I thought you said it was a 2kg machine.... that is what 4.5 pounds? :a53:

I have not weighed my 2kg machine but the website says it is about 350lbs. I don't have concrete outside my garage/shop so I wheel it to the edge and put a section of double wall pipe on the exhaust to put most of the smoke/chaff outside. I also have a chaff separator but I hardly ever use it as it seems to weigh about 50-60 lbs and was deemed light enough to not have wheels. I live on acreage so a bit of chaff in the gravel drive is no big deal.

Rolling the machine from where I store it to the front isn't really isn't that bad. I just go slow and make sure I don't try to run over anything. I look forward hearing more when you burn off the oils and do some roasts to dial it in. Do you run NG or propane? I run mine on a 10gal portable propane tank. I have the guy fill up my portable tanks when he comes buy to fill up the big one for the house.

I thought you said it was a 2kg machine.... that is what 4.5 pounds? :a53:

I have not weighed my 2kg machine but the website says it is about 350lbs. I don't have concrete outside my garage/shop so I wheel it to the edge and put a section of double wall pipe on the exhaust to put most of the smoke/chaff outside. I also have a chaff separator but I hardly ever use it as it seems to weigh about 50-60 lbs and was deemed light enough to not have wheels. I live on acreage so a bit of chaff in the gravel drive is no big deal.

Rolling the machine from where I store it to the front isn't really isn't that bad. I just go slow and make sure I don't try to run over anything. I look forward hearing more when you burn off the oils and do some roasts to dial it in. Do you run NG or propane? I run mine on a 10gal portable propane tank. I have the guy fill up my portable tanks when he comes buy to fill up the big one for the house.

2 kilo.
Propane

Wanted to make sure that I was not feeding too much pressure to the roaster before firing it up. Hoping for today. I did 2 pounds through the Hottop to give me breathing room so no rush

20210407_123504-01.jpeg

There was a minor issue with one of the safeties keep the pilot valve from opening. After looking at a video of the setup they found that someone had reversed the air flow sensor tube. Once correctly connected it fired up.

I have been sitting outside with it playing and slowly running the drum temp up and letting it cool to acclimate the steel to expanding and contracting.

This is an incredibly responsive machine.

I am going to enjoy it 🥰
20210412_130451-01.jpeg

Kept it warm all day so decided to roast a pound of average Brazilian.

I should have loaded up artisan for a graph as it ran a little short at 11:30 @ 428° City.

Brewed some (too fresh) in a Bodum pour over with a Maletta filter. Not sure if it was the average beans, too fresh, or 1st roast in an unseasoned roaster
20210412_155515-01.jpeg
20210412_155546-01.jpeg
but taste was not on

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
How is the roaster going Mick? Have you got everything worked out? Still interested in this thread.

Top Bottom