What's new

Road trip is now air trip! Help!

So......... have a business trip this week, which was going to be by automobile. Now, it is going to be by airplane, as of this morning.

How does one participate in our hobby when sprouting wings? Can one have a handle in carry-on? How/ where does one purchase blades when landing?

Any and all information is helpful. Thanks!

The easiest is just use a cartridge razor for the days you are traveling otherwise you can pack your DE razor and blades in checked in luggage. Carry on is a no-no as you probably know. It is not the razor they will confiscate but rather it is the blades they don't like. So i just use a cartridge razor while on a plane trip because it is too much hassle to try and track down DE blades at my destination.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
It depends on your destination & time available. I have mailed a tuck of DE blades ahead to places I am staying, and have also purchased blades at my destination (usually less than ideal blades but far superior to any cart). If your destination is hotel-less & CVS/Walgreens-less, you probably have a very long drive from the airport and will pass something handy. I've been totally cart-free since circa 2008, and haven't had to stoop while traveling ..

Lots of threads elsewhere for those unable to make a drugstore stop or mail ahead, that refuse to check luggage and need outside help on choosing a cart.

As far as taking a handle, just don't take your most expensive, I've had my travel Fatboy through many of the American hubs without issue.

If your trip is relatively short and you don't plan to check a bag, is it really worth the trouble to not use a cartridge razor for the duration of the trip?

I prefer to not check a bag when I travel. I've only travelled with a DE in my carry-on bag once. My son-in-law had DE blades available for me to use so I didn't need to pack my own, mail them ahead, or plan to purchase some upon arrival. I was still required to unpack my bag and prove to the TSA agent that I didn't have any blades with me. Never again.

Some have suggested disassembling the razor and store the parts separately in your carry-on, but that doesn't guarantee avoiding detection. Others say just put the razor in the tray with your other metallic items. I wish you safe and uneventful travels with whatever you decide to do. Good luck.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
So......... have a business trip this week, which was going to be by automobile. Now, it is going to be by airplane, as of this morning.

How does one participate in our hobby when sprouting wings? Can one have a handle in carry-on? How/ where does one purchase blades when landing?

Any and all information is helpful. Thanks!
Did the air commute (left on a Monday, returned on a Thursday) for 3 months. Here's where I ended up:
  1. Packed *empty* DE/SE razors in my carry on. During that trip I took a Schick Krona, 1914 Ever-Ready, 1924 Shovelhead, Gem Push Button, Gem Feather Weight, Gem Open Comb Damaskeene. I usually took more than one razor type (I like variety) and I always put them where I could dig them out for the inevitable stop. During the 20+ flights I made, the X-Ray TSA guy stopped my carry-on exactly one-time (ONCE) -- frankly, I was shocked. I was always prepared, but while I was stopped for carrying a bag of candied coated almonds and Clif Bars, the only razor stop was for the Gem Damaskeene Open Comb (the freaked them out). I explained it was a 100 year old razor, told them how to open it so they could see it was empty, and then they let me through....one of the TSA guys wanted to talk more about the hobby, but his time (and mine) was too limited. Now I love injectors, but I won't take them with me. I NEVER carry on a blade, I always put those in a checked a bag. I could've checked the razor itself, but I don't trust that it wouldn't get taken on an inspection -- probably wouldn't happen, but I'm paranoid. I never worried that TSA would confiscate a blade-less razor, since it can't do any damage without a blade.

2. People talk about finding blades at your destination, but I've had fits finding them in stores that were supposed to have them, so I'd be cautious about putting your eggs in that basket. I don't walk through a grocery, drug, dollar-store or any kind of beauty supply type store without looking for DE and SE blades, and I rarely find the dang things. I get that some stores always have them on-hand, but I travel to small towns, and unless it's 100 year old pharmacy/country store, I usually can't find the blades. If it's not a biggie, I would check your bag. Now at one point my employer point blank asked me to cut down on the checked bags (there was a surcharge), so I finally got smart and just took a decent supply in one of my carry-on's and left a small dopp kit/bag with the front desk where I stayed every week -- but that's more for regular commute/consultant travel situations.

3. I like the mailing blades solution, but honestly, that seems like a whole lot more hassle than checking a bag. If it weren't for the bag checking fees (which aren't an issue when I fly for personal travel since I tend to fly first/business), I would just check the bag. If your employer or colleagues are going to give you grief -- some people think checking a bag is like adding 3 hours to the trip and they will melt down if they have to wait the 20 mins or so it may take for you to get your bag -- then you may want to take a cart and call it a day. When I was called out for always checking a bag, I just explained that I don't shave with a cartridge or electric razor and so I need to check my bag because of the blades. The reaction has been surprise and genuine curiosity....but I'll admit that I can't imagine doing that when I was in my 20's and traveling as the junior guy on the plane, but I'm in my 50's and I really don't give a hoot what people think or how it affects my "career" at this point.
Lastly, I just want to wish you luck. There are not a lot of options for us when it comes to air travel. You may want to slip a cart into your carry-on along with an empty DE (or SE) and look for blades, that way you're covered. Regardless, I would definitely take a synthetic brush (they're just quicker to try and use on the road [IMO]), and your favorite shave soap/stick -- I would avoid the creams....altitude can do funky things to them. For me it's usually Arko -- that stuff lathers in hard or soft water without any fuss.

Let us know what you end up doing and safe travels!!!

Thanks guys! I looked through the medicine cabinet and found one new cartridge razor. I’ll use that. Col Conk soap is the slickest I’ve used so far, and if that’s not enough, I’ve packed Afta. :)

Thanks guys! I looked through the medicine cabinet and found one new cartridge razor. I’ll use that. Col Conk soap is the slickest I’ve used so far, and if that’s not enough, I’ve packed Afta. :)

Sir Wet, congrats on finding solutions to your crisis!

Indeed, a cartridge for short air trip can be quite nice, accompanied by good brush and software.

Tell us, if Col Conk is your soap of choice, which ones did not make the grade for you??

travel set aos truefitt hill opus unscented august 9 2014s.jpg

I prefer to be ‘one bag’ (carry on only) guy. My air-travel strategy is to limit the chance for TSA searches, meaning that I use a shave stick, my Wee Scot and a (ugh) cart for most trips. :sob::sob:

If I will be at one place for awhile, then I mail a few blades to my destination. I carry on a disassembled DE and hope for the best!

Reactions: bjm
Did the air commute (left on a Monday, returned on a Thursday) for 3 months. Here's where I ended up:
  1. Packed *empty* DE/SE razors in my carry on. During that trip I took a Schick Krona, 1914 Ever-Ready, 1924 Shovelhead, Gem Push Button, Gem Feather Weight, Gem Open Comb Damaskeene. I usually took more than one razor type (I like variety) and I always put them where I could dig them out for the inevitable stop. During the 20+ flights I made, the X-Ray TSA guy stopped my carry-on exactly one-time (ONCE) -- frankly, I was shocked. I was always prepared, but while I was stopped for carrying a bag of candied coated almonds and Clif Bars, the only razor stop was for the Gem Damaskeene Open Comb (the freaked them out). I explained it was a 100 year old razor, told them how to open it so they could see it was empty, and then they let me through....one of the TSA guys wanted to talk more about the hobby, but his time (and mine) was too limited. Now I love injectors, but I won't take them with me. I NEVER carry on a blade, I always put those in a checked a bag. I could've checked the razor itself, but I don't trust that it wouldn't get taken on an inspection -- probably wouldn't happen, but I'm paranoid. I never worried that TSA would confiscate a blade-less razor, since it can't do any damage without a blade.

2. People talk about finding blades at your destination, but I've had fits finding them in stores that were supposed to have them, so I'd be cautious about putting your eggs in that basket. I don't walk through a grocery, drug, dollar-store or any kind of beauty supply type store without looking for DE and SE blades, and I rarely find the dang things. I get that some stores always have them on-hand, but I travel to small towns, and unless it's 100 year old pharmacy/country store, I usually can't find the blades. If it's not a biggie, I would check your bag. Now at one point my employer point blank asked me to cut down on the checked bags (there was a surcharge), so I finally got smart and just took a decent supply in one of my carry-on's and left a small dopp kit/bag with the front desk where I stayed every week -- but that's more for regular commute/consultant travel situations.

3. I like the mailing blades solution, but honestly, that seems like a whole lot more hassle than checking a bag. If it weren't for the bag checking fees (which aren't an issue when I fly for personal travel since I tend to fly first/business), I would just check the bag. If your employer or colleagues are going to give you grief -- some people think checking a bag is like adding 3 hours to the trip and they will melt down if they have to wait the 20 mins or so it may take for you to get your bag -- then you may want to take a cart and call it a day. When I was called out for always checking a bag, I just explained that I don't shave with a cartridge or electric razor and so I need to check my bag because of the blades. The reaction has been surprise and genuine curiosity....but I'll admit that I can't imagine doing that when I was in my 20's and traveling as the junior guy on the plane, but I'm in my 50's and I really don't give a hoot what people think or how it affects my "career" at this point.
Lastly, I just want to wish you luck. There are not a lot of options for us when it comes to air travel. You may want to slip a cart into your carry-on along with an empty DE (or SE) and look for blades, that way you're covered. Regardless, I would definitely take a synthetic brush (they're just quicker to try and use on the road [IMO]), and your favorite shave soap/stick -- I would avoid the creams....altitude can do funky things to them. For me it's usually Arko -- that stuff lathers in hard or soft water without any fuss.

Let us know what you end up doing and safe travels!!!

I don't have an issue checking luggage when I need to, but loss is another factor. Anyone who has flown enough has probably had their luggage go missing at some point. While it usually turns up it's still not fun. While uncommon, you know for sure your carry on bags won't go missing. Maybe I'll get an airline credit card in the future, but for now money is the main reason I don't check bags if I don't need to. I can survive with a cartridge for a few days here and there if that's the only reason I'd spend $30 to check a bag. I only bring shave sticks or sample size containers of soaps/creams/aftershave through airport security.

Reactions: bjm
Before I retired I spent at least 60% of the time traveling. I did the mail blades to the hotel thing as well as check my bag.

Now I normally check my bag. However, I have not had a problem finding blades at locations where I am going. I have found that grocery stores such as Kroger drug stores such as Walgreen's or CVS, and retail stores such as Wal-Mart and Target.

If I’m carry-on only, I’ll Either mail some blades ahead, or take a single blade disposable (bic metal being my preferred).

On a recent trip, TSA took away a tub of Proraso that had been on 3 flights before. I have mailed blades, bought them at Walmart and other stores. Best experience was in PA - stopped at a barber shop to see if they sold them and the barber just gave me a tuck of Astra blades. Checked bag is the safest option.

On a recent trip, TSA took away a tub of Proraso that had been on 3 flights before. I have mailed blades, bought them at Walmart and other stores. Best experience was in PA - stopped at a barber shop to see if they sold them and the barber just gave me a tuck of Astra blades. Checked bag is the safest option.

Agreed. Problem is two fold - 1. Container size is what matters, not the volume of product remaining. 2. Agent discretion. If the container is over 3.4oz and that particular agent decides this is not a solid, it's gone. That guy probably isn't going to care if you flew with it 9 times already this year. As I said above, except for a shave stick I never take a full size product in carry on. Too risky; seen several other guys in threads like these report that they had tubs of soap confiscated by TSA.

I'm another one-bag, carry-on only traveler. Shave stick, travel synthetic brush, and a cartridge razor for me every trip (in fact, I use solid or powdered versions of all of my toiletries just to avoid the whole hassle around liquids and creams). The setup works fine and I don't have to waste time trying to hunt down blades when I arrive.

Are you within the US? Hopefully your company is providing a car as well.

Top Bottom