What's new

River Bar Soaps

http://www.riverbarsoaps.com/Default.asp

So I spent a wonderful week this summer hiking in the Redwoods around Crescent City. My wife and I absolutely loved it up there and look forward to another trip there.

Anyway, the farmer's market was running on the morning that we left, so we stopped by to support the locals. After looking for something for our grandbaby, I noticed the requisite local soap maker. We picked up something for my mom in law and wife, and then I noticed the had shaving soap. So I had to have it.

This is was a real first for me. The first time I've shaved with a plant based soap rather than a tallow one, and the first time with bentonite clay.

Long story short, I am very pleased. This was easily the slickest soap I've shaved with, and lathered like a champ. I can't describe the scent, but it leans more to the sweet/vanilla/fruit side than the other side of the spectrum, not surprising with the coconut oil as an ingredient.

the soap that I have is called "close shave" and I don't see it on their site. Going to email them and see if it was a test run. Their other soaps smelled great, so I would like to try more. As slick as his one is, I can't wait to try I with a straight razor.

thanks for the heads up. Havent seen this opne before, the label looks like Mystic Water. My concern would be the olive oil being so high on the ingredient list, usually means unstable lather, but not always (TSD soap, CRSW Olivia, etc.) some soaps with olive oil lather just fine but it is something to keep in mind. Glad to hear the soap works well.

thanks for the heads up. Havent seen this opne before, the label looks like Mystic Water. My concern would be the olive oil being so high on the ingredient list, usually means unstable lather, but not always (TSD soap, CRSW Olivia, etc.) some soaps with olive oil lather just fine but it is something to keep in mind. Glad to hear the soap works well.

The lather does break down fairly quickly - I am working on how much work and water it likes.

I checked out the site & only saw bath/hand soaps - no shaving soap. Or did I miss something there? I knew the original post indicated the "close shave" scent wasn't there, but I thought there would be other shaving soaps. Was the shaving soap itself perhaps a trial run - and not just the scent?

I checked out the site & only saw bath/hand soaps - no shaving soap. Or did I miss something there? I knew the original post indicated the "close shave" scent wasn't there, but I thought there would be other shaving soaps. Was the shaving soap itself perhaps a trial run - and not just the scent?

I emailed the folks who make the soap, and found that they do have the soap in stock, but their website isn't updated yet to include it. They originally decided to try a shaving soap for a wetshaving relative. If you are interested in giving them a whirl, drop them a line. Their hand cremes and soaps are nice as well. Do be aware that the cushion isn't as good as the glide - likely an issue with the olive oil as mentioned a post or two ago. I still like it and will use it - more for my DE than my straight razors, at least until I can sort the water/lather issue.

... they do have the soap in stock, but their website isn't updated yet to include it. ... If you are interested in giving them a whirl, drop them a line. ... .

Thanks for the update. I bookmarked the site & will check back periodically & maybe order from them in the future. I'm still fairly new to DE shaving & already have enough blades, soaps, & creams to last me at least another 2 years. (And I feel like I've exercised quite a bit of restraint compared to many of our fellow B&B brethren.)

Good luck figuring out the water/lather secret & keep us posted.

Top Bottom