What's new

Rive Gauche-like aftershave splash?

Just acquired a bottle of YSL Rive Gauche from Tboner on b/s/t. Would like an inexpensive aftershave splash to use with it. Asked Turtle about 4711 edc and a possibility, but haven't heard from him yet (not sure 4711 would work, scent aside). Research shows Rive Gauche = Barbasol, but the two Barbasol aftershaves I found have menthol, which I am not particularly fond of. Would like other opinions from Rive Gauche users (or anyone with an opinion).

Last edited:
Bay rum (Dominica or Captain's) is a light scent that will not interfere with the RG. The Bay rum will also not persist.
Arlington AS is also a citrus-y light AS that will not "fight" the RG.

I have the remains of a 4 oz and a brand new 2.5 oz EDT of the Rive. I don't wear AS with it, but I do have Superior 70 bay rum, and I can see it working with it quite well. Going through my AS's I can also see Aqua Velva Musk working with it, though it is much sweeter than RG - might be the musk kick that Rive was looking for ;-)

Seems like Fabulon Black Musk AS Lotion is pretty close to me. Also, I've never tried it, but maybe Klar Classic AS Lotion. The Klar Seifen Sport soap scent is pretty close to Rive Gauche. I don't know if Klar has the "sport scent" in the AS though.

Ben

Agree that Klar Sport shaving soap smells like Rive Gauche; and I think that Pre de Provence does as well. Not sure I want to go for the Klar aftershave because of cost; could almost get a Rive Gauche aftershave from ebay for the price. Fabulon is one I have never heard of. From Turkey? I will also check into Aqua Velva Musk. Thanks for the tips!

Went to the commissary today and discovered a bottle of Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue for under $3.00! Decided to try that. If you really stretch your imagine it might smell a bit like Rive Gauche (but sweeter). Will see how it works.

Went to the commissary today and discovered a bottle of Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue for under $3.00! Decided to try that. If you really stretch your imagine it might smell a bit like Rive Gauche (but sweeter). Will see how it works.

didn't you say you didn't want menthol? aqua velva has quite a bit of menthol in it. might as well just use original barbasol then...

didn't you say you didn't want menthol? aqua velva has quite a bit of menthol in it. might as well just use original barbasol then...

You are absolutely correct; I did say that I did not want menthol. However, when I sniffed it in the store it didn't smell like menthol and when I tried it on this morning it actually felt nice! So I am happy with it so far. Did not see a Barbasol aftershave at the commissary, so I kind of went with what was in front of me. Initial reaction is that while the Aqua Velva is sweeter than Rive Gauche, it is a satisfactory compromise.

The better solution : "Rive Gauche Pour Homme" Aftershave Lotion by Yves Saint Laurent.

Exemple for $26 : http://www.bayperfumes.com/rive-gau...s-saint-laurent-3-4-oz-aftershave-lotion.html
Have not seen that site before! Better deal than I recall seeing on ebay! Nine times out of ten I would have bought the matching aftershave, but this time I wasn't sure how long I would stick with Rive Gauche and didn't want to put down too much money on an aftershave. Time will tell; perhaps I will wish to keep with Rive Gauche long enough to merit getting the matching aftershave. Thanks for the reference to bayperfumes!

Top Bottom