What's new

RIP Tony Lewis and Spencer Davis

I have to face it, a lot of my favorite musicians are approaching that time of life where natural causes are a real threat. It's depressing, particularly picking up Rolling Stone and not knowing most of the musicians I'm seeing glowing reviews of (or worse, not liking the musicians I see glowing reviews of) and seeing some real talent pass away.

I would no have been able to tell you whether Spencer Davis was still alive or not. Tony Lewis was only 62 though! I do not know how he died.

An interesting couple. The Outfield never had a hit in England, where they were from and only a couple, with one big one, in the States. I would not have been able to tell you the name of their singer. But truly great rock and roll voice. The epitome of an 80s sound.

Spencer Davis probably would not have been much without Steve Winwood, who was all of 15, as I recall, when I'm A Man was recorded. But they say the job of a leader is to hire and inspire. I do not know if SD was inspirational, but that hire was about the equivalent of Col Parker taking in Elvis Presley. Although, I suspect that SW and Elvis both would have been huge eventually without Davis or Parker, but what do I know. Music success is lightening in bottle.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm still reeling from Jerry Jeff Walker and Billy Joe Shaver.

I'll get around to grieving for Tony and Spencer (great musicians, both), but it'll take me a minute.

Top Bottom