What's new

RIP Tommy Lasorda

Long time Brooklyn/LA Dodgers manager, Tommy Lasorda has passed at age 93.

Rest in peace, skipper.

Last edited:
RIP, Tommy Lasorda. I'll never forget your putting on a phony rhubarb with a second-base ump, screaming about a lousy time you had at a restaurant so that the fans would think you were backing up the team on a call. The ump had to walk away so that the cameras wouldn't see him trying to stifle a laugh. Unique, and classic.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I doubt that any other manager would have sent the injured Kirk Gibson out to pinch hit against Dennis Eckersley in the bottom of the 9th in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series.

R.I.P. Tommy Lasorda. :(

Vin Scully calling that at bat was as memorable as Gibson's home run. That is one of the, if not the greatest at bat in MLB history.
I lost $50 on that HR. Actually that pitch. True story.

My idiot friend said “$50 he hits a homerun on this pitch” over way too many drinks. Of course I took the bet. Aaaggghhhhh!

One in a million. Gibson could barely even walk and Ekersley was almost unhittable. We still talk about that one.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I lost $50 on that HR. Actually that pitch. True story.

My idiot friend said “$50 he hits a homerun on this pitch” over way too many drinks. Of course I took the bet. Aaaggghhhhh!

One in a million. Gibson could barely even walk and Ekersley was almost unhittable. We still talk about that one.

That's what made it doubly amazing. Not only can he not walk, its freakin Dennis Eckersley. He had 45 saves in 1988.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
That's what made it doubly amazing. Not only can he not walk, its freakin Dennis Eckersley. He had 45 saves in 1988.

That at bat still amazes me to this day.

Pure guts and heart. Gibson's ability to transcend his pain and physical limitations and, for that brief moment, rise above what should not be possible - and make it possible.

As a Jays fan, I hated him but totally respected him. Especially in the playoffs. Henderson to walk in the at bat first, steal second and Third... generally score and then Ekersley to lock it down in the 8th or 9th.

Tough to watch in the mid-late 80’s!

RIP, Tommy Lasorda. I'll never forget your putting on a phony rhubarb with a second-base ump, screaming about a lousy time you had at a restaurant so that the fans would think you were backing up the team on a call. The ump had to walk away so that the cameras wouldn't see him trying to stifle a laugh. Unique, and classic.

I believe that story is recounted in one of the late Ron Luciano's books about being a Major League Umpire. As I recall, the Ump inquires "What the f*$@ are you doing out here, Tommy?" To which Lasorda's response was an enraged, "I just wanna know where a guy can get some decent pasta in this town, can you help me out?!?

Top Bottom