What's new

RIP Rush Limbaugh

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
“Any man under 30 who is not a liberal has no heart, and any man over thirty who is not a conservative has no brains.”

― Winston S. Churchill
Amen. I was thinking of this quote as I wrote the drivel above.

Churchill and I share an antecedent. But unfortunately his brain and heart didn't get into a lot of my family. Must have been a recessive gene!!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
He insulted my sensibilities EVERY day. I was a CLASSIC underachiever. It of course wasn't MY fault. This guy angered me EVERY SINGLE DAY! So why didn't I change the station? No idea; it was like turning my head away from a train wreck. For some reason just not possible.

I found Rush not through the radio, but through his short-lived TV show back in 1992-3 timeframe. I remember one particular show when he actually criticised his own audience. I forget what exactly it was in reference to, but I do remember him looking right in the camera and saying "the problem ... is you. People like you ..." doing or not doing whatever lazy default thing was allowing bad things to happen. It was remarkable to me, when just about every other minute of television out there was pandering to the audience and telling them how wonderful they were.

Finally, one voice on the telly saying "YOU can be better ... need to be better ... and that's the way things ought to be."

Now, I don't recall him doing that again, and sure lots of times he was complimentary to his ditto-head audience, but still ...

It's been decades since I've listened to him, and every once in a while I'd hear some comment about him and be mildly surprised and rather pleased that he was still "out there" doing his thing.

Well, not any more, alas.

For those wondering, here's an example of the old tv show ...

DA528200-D15F-40AA-AE1F-0D12B65D4866.jpeg
RIP Rush, you will definitely be missed but never forgotten

RIP Rush.

Setting aside his beliefs for a moment he impresses me for what he pulled off. No college, started small and local, broke some rules when broadcasting what was supposed to be a tame radio show. Got fired. Worked another radio gig, got fired. Worked for the KC Royals baseball team, quit. Middle age now and did radio again because he liked it best. Slowly and surely built up his brand. Ended up dominating the market for decades, became a household name whether you like him or not.

Only in America could that happen.

RIP Rush Limbaugh 1951-2021

Rush Limbaugh, the great conservative talk show host, died today in Palm Beach, Florida at age 70. I was privileged to work with him, EFM Media (his management company), Kit Carson, and others in a NON-POLITICAL capacity when I was with an Apple dealership in the early 1990s.

Rush was always a good natured, good humored gentleman who was well aware of his impact on the political world but had a certain humility and humbleness. For instance, one time I was with Bill Beutel, the late WABC-7 newscaster and was discussing how to use AOL; Bill had some questions and we both called Rush. It was amusing that both Bill and Rush, top of their fields, were equally thrilled with speaking with one another for the first time!

When a lengthy profile appeared in Vanity Fair. VF didn’t send Rush an advanced copy, yet it was available on a newsstand close to my office in Soho, so I faxed the article to him so he could read it before his show.

Although I enjoyed cigars well before meeting him, the Cohibas that he gave me were especially good! He said that cigars were the only thing that Castro couldn’t screw up....

I met his brother, David, several times. When Rush was drafting his first book, I instructed Rush and David about sending backups to each other every night in case of computer failure (kind of early cloud storage).

He could be unforgiving-to bad computer products! I remember a box of keyboards in his home office, all of which he said were crap! Finally he liked the Kensington extended keyboard and was happy.

I also remember when he was on the cover of National Review, the conservative magazine founded by William F. Buckley (Millbrook Class of 1943!) between Bill Clinton’s election and the 1994 Newt Gingrich revolution: It depicted Rush in colonial garb, with the headline “Leader of the Opposition.” Rush’s proudest hour.

Polarizing, but always polite with his callers, he was one of a kind. Sometimes he could go too far, but he remained true to his beliefs and never stopped listening.
056DD114-C24D-47EA-A017-FB2DD3C0DAD9.jpeg

Top Bottom