What's new

RIP Notre Dame Cathedral

Glad someone posted about the laser scan models. That guys work (I think I saw him referred to as an architectural historian) is pretty fascinating. It was very shocking to see such a monumental structure burning. Increases the appreciation I have for having visited.

They have 600+ million in donations already. The cost to rebuild it won’t be the inhibiting factor. It will be the structural damage and all the history that is lost. It will get rebuilt. But will never be the same.

I hope so. There's no insurance for that and I've seen the claim that expected repairs for everything may push 8 billion.

Insurers expect France to bear Notre-Dame rebuilding cost - Reuters

Even before the fire the cathedral was in serious disrepair and in desperate need of money and work.

The church is owned by France, not the RCC anymore. But the good news is that this fire looked much worse than it was.

Well ... yes, but it's complicated. Without getting into any politics, European nations don't all have separation of church and state. Don't know about France in particular, but the First French Republic revolutionaries didn't have much use for religion (Thomas Paine looked pious in comparison). That said, France's current separation of church and state seems to date from the early 20th Century, with some structures, such as Notre Dame, grandfathered in. The result is that while the cathedral is owned by the French government, the Roman Catholic Church has exclusive rights to it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well ... yes, but it's complicated. Without getting into any politics, European nations don't all have separation of church and state. Don't know about France in particular, but the First French Republic revolutionaries didn't have much use for religion (Thomas Paine looked pious in comparison). That said, France's current separation of church and state seems to date from the early 20th Century, with some structures, such as Notre Dame, grandfathered in. The result is that while the cathedral is owned by the French government, the Roman Catholic Church has exclusive rights to it.
You are correct, the RCC has exclusive usage rights. I am an atheist, but I am also glad that the damage isn’t as bad as it initially appeared that it would be. It is an architectural icon.

Top Bottom