What's new

RIP Norm MacDonald.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
To me, he was a genius. An SNL stand out. Great writer. Great dead pan delivery. Did a great Letterman impression and eventually became very good friends with Dave.

I had recently been watching him in his role on Orville as Lt. Yaphit .. According to reports he had recently finished production of his role for season 3...
I look forward to getting to enjoy his humorous character for another year...

I was really impressed with the tweet MacDonald did prior to his death where he stated....

Norm MacDonald on battles with cancer: “I’m pretty sure, I’m not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure if you die, the cancer dies at the same time. That’s not a loss. That’s a draw.”

I thought that was an interesting way to view it..

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
He was the best ... he really was a standout on a mediocre show.

There's a political pundit who has the same dry, cutting delivery, Chris Plante.

AA

One thing I liked about Norm MacDonald was that he stayed away from politics for the most part. He is said to have expressed an "aversion" to political humor, although he did apparently mock Bill Maher in his stand up act, despite being on Maher's shows often enough. Regardless of one's political viewpoint, I think there is a lot to mock about Bill Maher, but that is me. But not really political even there.

MacDonald is quoted as saying: "I didn’t really think we did political humor on Update. Because most political humor is biased toward what the comedian thinks, so then it just becomes dull."

I thought MacDonald was a genius in being willing to take not so easy road in comedy and to know what was really funny that not many other people had ever done. To turn a shaggy dog story into something hilarious. To straight-faced start a routine with "I do not know how many of you all are history buffs, but the more I know about this guy Adolf Hitler, the less I like him." So funny on so many levels. Often so meta, to me one of the hardest types of humor to pull off. The concept of the perfect joke being the set up and the punch line in one sentence. His weaving in of Russian literature, of which he was supposedly a major fan, into that moth joke.

He will be missed. I cannot think of anyone out there doing anything much like him. He claimed certain influences, but for the most part it was hard to see those influences in his work.

I think he was underutilized on SNL.

I find myself really sad about this one!
comScore

< img src="//pixel.quantserve.com/pixel/p-CODE.gif?labels" border="0" height="1" width="1" alt="Quantcast"/>

Often so meta, to me one of the hardest types of humor to pull off.

I said "meta," which NM often was, but I probably should have said "anti-humor," which I think really is one of the hardest types of comedy to pull off. And not doubt he was willing to go way out there.

Top Bottom