What's new

Rip neighbor

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Sorry for the downer. I got a call before i arrived home tonight from SO telling me our neighbor on the side committed suicide in his basement. Apparently he was found by his tenant. I arrived to see multiple police cars, medical examiner truck and the ambulance pulling away. So sad
He was in his mid 50s no kids early retirement from the financial sector. Never socialized with him but had plenty over the fence chats and sidewalk talk. He was friendly with several neighbors especially a widow across the street who he socialized with on occasion. I haven't had a chance to speak with many neighbors yet just one guy up the street. He works from home and heard the tenant screaming in the street. Theres a mix of older and younger on the street with several kids of varying ages. The whole thing is just so dark and tragic. Thanks for reading.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Shame to feel like theres no help out there. May you and his family find peace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Not good. You just don't know what is going on in peoples lives. Sometimes it is the people that you do not expect this to happen to are the ones that it happens to. If that sounds right.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
thanks for weighing in guys i appreciate it ... it is truly sad ... tragic really. apparently he was out on Saturday and went to a local street festival with the woman across the street. she is now devastated. she lost her husband about 20 years ago and still talks about him almost every time i see her.
also leaving uncertainty on others is tough ... his tenant is unsure what happens now. he left last night. talk around the street is that his house was was paid for and he has a sister in the UK. other than that no local family or SO. no one on the street is aware of what happens next ... if anything - even with respect to any type of service. it appears that he was just "checking out" and thats tragic to get to that point (with no financial or health issues - not that that makes it any better or that im judging) to leave it to his tenant to find him in the basement which I am assuming was a common area for the house. He knew his tenant is a teacher and would know his schedule pretty much so there would be no one around to stop him. its also pretty disturbing especially having younger children on the street. i appreciate you guys reading and allowing me to vent here.

Really sad to hear, somtimes its hard to know what is going on in peoples lives. I always try to be there for anyone who wants to talk, sometimes it helps more than we realize.

So if anyone ever needs someone to talk to send me a message!

That is sad. I've personally found that therapy can be a great aid, but many people can be ashamed or hesitant to reach out for that type of help.

Very sad. We should all be aware that males in later middle-age are at an increased risk of suicide, although health and financial issues can be a factor in that increased risk. Also, lack of social connection, but it does not sound like any of these were present here.

Anyone out there who finds themselves frequently thinking of suicide should seek help. You may not necessarily feel sad or distressed. You may have an afflication so that part of your psyche is effectively trying to murder you. There are treatments for that, and, for that matter, for depression. But you need to be on your guard against this and take care of yourself.

Suicide leaves great pain even for people who barely know the victim.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Very sad. We should all be aware that males in later middle-age are at an increased risk of suicide, although health and financial issues can be a factor in that increased risk. Also, lack of social connection, but it does not sound like any of these were present here.

Anyone out there who finds themselves frequently thinking of suicide should seek help. You may not necessarily feel sad or distressed. You may have an afflication so that part of your psyche is effectively trying to murder you. There are treatments for that, and, for that matter, for depression. But you need to be on your guard against this and take care of yourself.

Suicide leaves great pain even for people who barely know the victim.
Well said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

We've had at least two people on my block commit suicide during the last few years. There are others who hopelessly addicted to drugs, food, alcohol and other life-shortening habits. We only have about 20 houses on my block. About one in every 100 people will commit suicide during their life. Many others kill themselves through lack of care for themselves. By the way, I'm not at risk.

In my opinion, many kinds of mental illness are not illnesses at all. They are a natural response to impossible situations. We say soldiers who have PTSD have a mental illness. I say it is a natural reaction to five or six deployments in ten years. PTSD is can also be caused by traumatic events in a person's life. They can be short or long term.

There are some mental illness that can be successfully treated with drugs. Let's call these chemical imbalances. Others can only be treated if the source of the symptoms are taken away.

Anyone going to therapy will quickly find themselves terminated as a patient if they don't pretend the treatment is working. If they show any emotional outbursts symptomatic of their disease, they are almost immediately terminated. Around here, a patient can be terminated if they miss an appointment even if it's through no fault of their own.

The medical system in the United States is broken so badly that it's worse than no medical system at all. It's all about maximizing profits and not at all about curing patients. I'd rather die than come in contact with it again. The last time I followed their lead, they almost killed me three times in eight days. The only contact I'll have is to get my free blood test once a year. I refuse to take any medications. Fortunately, my doctor is OK with this.

Tomorrow, I'll be sixty-six and healthy. I wish I could work, but the computerized hiring system won't let be get a job because I don't have any references. The companies I worked for since 1993 have all merged with other companies or have gone out of business. The military doesn't give references, just verification of employment.

Fortunately, I have enough money. I always carry about fifty dollars with me to help someone I see going through a rough patch. Other times, I spend an hour or so talking with destitute people about ordinary things.

Gotta run.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
We've had at least two people on my block commit suicide during the last few years. There are others who hopelessly addicted to drugs, food, alcohol and other life-shortening habits. We only have about 20 houses on my block. About one in every 100 people will commit suicide during their life. Many others kill themselves through lack of care for themselves. By the way, I'm not at risk.

In my opinion, many kinds of mental illness are not illnesses at all. They are a natural response to impossible situations. We say soldiers who have PTSD have a mental illness. I say it is a natural reaction to five or six deployments in ten years. PTSD is can also be caused by traumatic events in a person's life. They can be short or long term.

There are some mental illness that can be successfully treated with drugs. Let's call these chemical imbalances. Others can only be treated if the source of the symptoms are taken away.

Anyone going to therapy will quickly find themselves terminated as a patient if they don't pretend the treatment is working. If they show any emotional outbursts symptomatic of their disease, they are almost immediately terminated. Around here, a patient can be terminated if they miss an appointment even if it's through no fault of their own.

The medical system in the United States is broken so badly that it's worse than no medical system at all. It's all about maximizing profits and not at all about curing patients. I'd rather die than come in contact with it again. The last time I followed their lead, they almost killed me three times in eight days. The only contact I'll have is to get my free blood test once a year. I refuse to take any medications. Fortunately, my doctor is OK with this.

Tomorrow, I'll be sixty-six and healthy. I wish I could work, but the computerized hiring system won't let be get a job because I don't have any references. The companies I worked for since 1993 have all merged with other companies or have gone out of business. The military doesn't give references, just verification of employment.

Fortunately, I have enough money. I always carry about fifty dollars with me to help someone I see going through a rough patch. Other times, I spend an hour or so talking with destitute people about ordinary things.

Gotta run.
I'm a retired psych nurse. Sometimes talking is the best help. I miss my clients/friends.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
This neighbor took an early retirement and was financially secure but had nothing to do for well over a year. He had on again off again disagreements with his tenant. The tenant is emotionally a wreck hes made an appointment to see someone. He feels like part of the plan was so that he would find him.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
What a terrible situation. Our hearts go out to everyone involved in this terrible situation. May he and the rest of you find peace.

That is devastating that the tenant had to find him like that. If it was intentional, good lord I don't want to think of that depravity. Perhaps it was something he didn't consider before making the final choice. My wife's uncle committed suicide in his house and left a note on the door saying "Please call 911 before entering" or something close to that. Two sides to every situation.

This neighbor took an early retirement and was financially secure but had nothing to do for well over a year. He had on again off again disagreements with his tenant. The tenant is emotionally a wreck hes made an appointment to see someone. He feels like part of the plan was so that he would find him.

Sometimes suicide is an act of anger. People who commit suicide are not necessarily sympathetic people.

I would reiterate, if anyone among us finds themselves obsessing about commiting suicide, or taking concrete steps to do so, even in what seems like a pretend/play kind of way, get some help in some way or other. Reach out to the various services available. Confide in a friend or relative, or more than one. Get yourself out and around people. Humans are social creatures. What may seem like playing around non-serious stuff, should be setting off red lights and alarms that you are on the road to offing yourself. Save your own life. In case it is of any help, they say that everyone who has ever jumped off the Bay Bridge in a suicide attempt and lived, has regretted doing so on the way down. No one should want to find themselves in a situation where their last thought on earth is, "well, maybe that was not such a good idea after all" or worse "how the heck did I end up doing this to myself? my progress toward it was so subtle!"

This neighbor took an early retirement and was financially secure but had nothing to do for well over a year.
They say the two most dangerous years in a person's life are the first year after birth and the first year after retirement. Too bad about your neighbour. Very sad situation. It seems mental health is a big challenge for a lot of people. We live in a world of increasing isolation and loneliness. Internet is a wonderful thing, but its claim of bringing people closer together is a bit hollow. I believe it leads to more isolation. No easy answers.

Top Bottom