What's new

RIP - Mr Hockey (Gordie Howe)

A very sad day for Hockey fans around the world.

Hockey legend Gordie Howe passes away at age 88

$gordie-howe.jpg

$howe_640.jpg

$untitled.png

Hockey is not high on the list of sports I follow, but I sure remember Howe -- one tough customer who played forever.
Growing up in Connecticut, I remember him as a member of the Hartford Whalers when he was in his 50s.
I also remember that he played with his sons.

He played forever and a day! I believe he was both Bobby Hull and Wayne Gretzky's favorite player before they were in the NHL. RIP Mr. Hockey.

Another legend passes. We did not have local hockey team growing up so I could not follow the sport too well but I remember his name. He was Mr. Hockey. RIP.

I love seeing those pictures of him helmetless. Something about hockey without a helmet looks awesome. Probably because when i started watching it was in between some wore some didn't. Rule wasn't in effect yet.

He was a good guy for hockey.

Maybe we'll see a Gordie Howe Hat Trick on Sunday!!! Rest well, Mr. Hockey.

Our kids don't play ice hockey, but they know Gordie. I always jokingly tell the kids to go out and get a "Gordie Howe Hat Trick " when they play soccer.

He played in a era and way of hockey we won't see again. Sleeping on buses, no helmets, no diving, two line passes not allowed, no auto icing. He was a true grinder, could do it all and all around great ambassador for hockey. Guys like Neely & Clarke followed in his mold, but there is only one Mr Hockey.

Keep those elbows up Gordie.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
His final season he played for the Hartford Whalers with his two sons on the same team!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

... the same year a young whipper-snapper had his rookie season as well.

proxy.php

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Our kids don't play ice hockey, but they know Gordie. I always jokingly tell the kids to go out and get a "Gordie Howe Hat Trick " when they play soccer.

He played in a era and way of hockey we won't see again. Sleeping on buses, no helmets, no diving, two line passes not allowed, no auto icing. He was a true grinder, could do it all and all around great ambassador for hockey. Guys like Neely & Clarke followed in his mold, but there is only one Mr Hockey.

Keep those elbows up Gordie.
It's amazing how much it's changed. Those guys had true grit, no doubt. Even from the time I started watching in the 90s til now, it's much different.

I would probably tell my kids the same thing! I love it.

Adam

[MENTION=2453]Doc4[/MENTION] I have all those cards in my hockey card collection, what a time!

I guess that year was a changing of the guard or sorts. Goodbye to one legend and another was being born.

I love seeing those pictures of him helmetless. Something about hockey without a helmet looks awesome. Probably because when i started watching it was in between some wore some didn't. Rule wasn't in effect yet.

The NHL made helmets mandatory in 1979. A grandfather clause allowed guys playing then to opt out.
The last helmetless player in the league was Craig MacTavish, who was still active as late as the 1996-97 season!

@Rory1262 I was born in 73 and remember seeing MacTavish and a few of the other old guys that were grandfathered in to not having to wear helmets. Crazy when you think about it.

It's amazing how much it's changed. Those guys had true grit, no doubt. Even from the time I started watching in the 90s til now, it's much different.

I would probably tell my kids the same thing! I love it.

Adam

$57099196-640x427.jpg

View attachment 665002

Last edited:
Look at all those shots of guys playing without helmets. That is just mind blowing!

Definitely some studs that could do that for year after year.

Top Bottom