What's new

RIP Mildred Loving

Some of our younger members may find this hard to believe, but in 1967 (not so long ago) the Commonwealth of Virginia went to the Supreme Court to defend its law making it a felony for a white person to marry a black person. Fifteen other states had similar laws: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia. Fourteen other states had repealed similar laws within the previous 15 years: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming.

The Court struck down the law in a 9-0 vote, holding it to be inconsistent with the Equal Protection and Due Process Clauses of the 14th Amendment. The Supreme Court of Appeals of Virginia had explained its decision upholding the law by noting the legislative purposes: to preserve the racial integrity of its citizens and prevent the corruption of blood, a mongrel breed of citizens, and the obliteration of racial pride. The state also argued that there was a rational basis for the law because the scientific evidence was substantially in doubt. But it was perfectly lawful for non-white citizens to marry across racial lines.

Mildred Loving, who challenged the law with her husband, died last week.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080505/ap_on_re_us/obit_loving_4

I heard this on the radio and said to myself how many people my age would remember who she was; fortunately,I did.

It just goes to show that we really aren't far removed from an out and out 'racist' society. No offense meant, just the facts.

marty

a sad thing.i can understand the erroneous thinking of that era and i'm glad it is gone.because i'm a big ol white boy who is married to a lovely little lady who happens to be black.i'm glad Mrs. Loving was led by god to take her stand.it's still not a perfect society but its far better in many ways than that era.

And thank goodness for the "activist" judges who could see that the Lovings would not be receiving "equal protection" under the law--equal to state-approved married couples--if the state threw them into prison for the crime of falling in love and getting married, 99 years after the 14th Amendment was ratified.

1967? How could such a thing exist while I was alive?

It's amazing how much history happened while I was sitting at home in suburbia watching the Mickey Mouse Club.

I read the story and then followed a link to www.jimcrowhistory.org and found some amazing history, important stuff that isn't taught in school. I imagine kids are still being taught that Columbus discovered America and Betsy Ross invented the flag, while so much vibrant, albeit unpleasant, history gets glossed over. It's amazing to look at some of the shameful Supreme Court rulings from back then. I hesitate to be too judgmental, having the benefit of a hundred years of hindsight, but the rulings are still shocking to modern sensibilities.

a sad thing.i can understand the erroneous thinking of that era and i'm glad it is gone.because i'm a big ol white boy who is married to a lovely little lady who happens to be black.i'm glad Mrs. Loving was led by god to take her stand.it's still not a perfect society but its far better in many ways than that era.

Her husband, who died in 1975 also sounds like quite the hero. My local radio station had some quotes from him that sounded like a man deeply in love.

And thank goodness for the "activist" judges who could see that the Lovings would not be receiving "equal protection" under the law--equal to state-approved married couples--if the state threw them into prison for the crime of falling in love and getting married, 99 years after the 14th Amendment was ratified.

Sound like good "constitutionalist" judges to me. :001_tt2:

Sound like good "constitutionalist" judges to me. :001_tt2:

We have reached 100% agreement:biggrin:. As the Court noted, quoting an earlier concurring opinion of Potter Stewart (of Virginia) and William O. Douglas, they "could not conceive of a valid legislative purpose...which makes the color of a person's skin the test of whether his conduct is a criminal offense." That 30 states could have had such a law as recently as 1952, or 16 in 1967, makes me wonder why it was so difficult to interpret "deny any person...the equal protection of the laws." Originalist, contitutionalist, and activist, all in one decision.

It's amazing to look at some of the shameful Supreme Court rulings from back then. I hesitate to be too judgmental, having the benefit of a hundred years of hindsight, but the rulings are still shocking to modern sensibilities.

The Plessy decision springs quickly to mind.

Top Bottom