What's new

RIP Larry McMurtry

I deal in rare books. I once had dinner at a house here in Berkeley- the library was astounding- like nothing I had ever seen - my host was a legendary bookman. At the end of the tour we arrived at a ladder leading up to the attic. He told me that years earlier Larry McMurtry had climbed the ladder, stuck his head into the attic and offered some huge sum (I forget how much) for the contents. Done deal!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Here's a link to a well written obit,

His bookstore has been on my bucket list of places to visit for a while now. I hope it continues to stay open and flourish, but I'm afraid it likely won't now that he is gone.

Here's a link to a well written obit,

His bookstore has been on my bucket list of places to visit for a while now. I hope it continues to stay open and flourish, but I'm afraid it likely won't now that he is gone.
JWCowboy, as it happens I've visited his two bookstores. They stand on opposite sides of the main street in Archer City. In May of 2014 I was returning from a road trip to Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo, and I thought I'd take a little detour. The stores are well-stocked . . but if you go in warm or hot weather, be aware that Archer City does not believe in air conditioning. The diner where I grabbed a quick lunch, also on Main Street, was stuffy and unpleasant. So were the bookstores. I never in my life left a bookstore in less than an hour, but with these two I felt as though I were suffocating, and fled back to my car.

The town looked very much as it did in The Last Picture Show though, with the lone traffic light and the building that served as the movie house in the film still there.

I like a lot of his work, but he had this odd tendency to shift viewpoint between characters, sometimes in the same paragraph. So you could get confused as to who was talking. That said, I've re-read Lonesome Dove and its sequels more than once.

Top Bottom