What's new

RIP John Prine

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
One of the greatest songwriters of all time.

Last edited:
Tomorrow will be a binge listening session; beginning with "Sabu Visits the Twin Cities Alone".
R.I.P. Mr. Prine.

This was the first song I heard from this artist that stuck with me. It started a 6 month study of the man and his music. I like watching him perform live; he interacts with the audience so well yet when he sings he looks down and off to the side, almost like he's slightly embarrassed. A good man, good songs, and this one is so fitting:

Don

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Without a doubt.
I've been a fan since about the middle '70s.
My B.i.L, Billy (he and my sister invited me to spend the duration with them in the country, nearest neighbor about 100 yards away) is an even bigger fan than I am. Col. Baker, who owned RAE's Tobacco Shop until his death was a bigger fan than Billy and me combined.
Billy has a 5 album rotation going in the garage as I write this.
I miss John Prine. His passing is a bigger blow to music than Aretha Franklin's.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@captp, growing up in Texas, I bumped into John Prine's music from time to time. I know I saw him on Austic City Limits a could times, and someone would usually pop something in at a get together where music was playing. Even before I knew who I was hearing, I always got a kick out of his brilliant and quirky lyrics, but I never really appreciated his work until I went to college in Nashville.

I would see a lot of "guy/gal & a guitar" shows and writers nights, including a couple or few visits to the Bluebird Cafe. Some of those playing had little more than a guitar and a dream (and, hopefully, at least a modicum of talent). Some were well established (at least in the Nashville or songwriting community). Some were downright famous or about to be. (Hell, I even saw John Prine!) Anyhow, I lost count as to how many named John Prine as inspiration or influence. The man touched many, many, many people and pretty much moved the entire craft of songwriting.

Just as an aside, I have a fraternity brother named John Perrine. That was an interesting name to have in Nashville, and he sometimes had to explain that he was not the famous guy that had a very similar name (even though the two of them were nearly 25 years apart in age). Perrine was pretty good with a guitar, too, although he became a college professor and conservation biologist.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
@captp, growing up in Texas, I bumped into John Prine's music from time to time. I know I saw him on Austic City Limits a could times, and someone would usually pop something in at a get together where music was playing. Even before I knew who I was hearing, I always got a kick out of his brilliant and quirky lyrics, but I never really appreciated his work until I went to college in Nashville.

I would see a lot of "guy/gal & a guitar" shows and writers nights, including a couple or few visits to the Bluebird Cafe. Some of those playing had little more than a guitar and a dream (and, hopefully, at least a modicum of talent). Some were well established (at least in the Nashville or songwriting community). Some were downright famous or about to be. (Hell, I even saw John Prine!) Anyhow, I lost count as to how many named John Prine as inspiration or influence. The man touched many, many, many people and pretty much moved the entire craft of songwriting.

Just as an aside, I have a fraternity brother named John Perrine. That was an interesting name to have in Nashville, and he sometimes had to explain that he was not the famous guy that had a very similar name (even though the two of them were nearly 25 years apart in age). Perrine was pretty good with a guitar, too, although he became a college professor and conservation biologist.

Where'd you go to college in Nashville? I'm a native Nashvillian, born & raised, went to undergrad at Lipscomb, spent the first 28 years of my life there before getting married and moving to Atlanta. It was a great place to grow up, hard not to let the music just seep into your bones. Don't think I appreciated it as much until I moved away and have now lived the second half of my life in Georgia and North Carolina.

I love John Prine, was privileged to have seen him live at least half a dozen times, the most recent being a show at the Ryman in 2018 (Shovels & Rope were the opening act - one of my current favorites)

What a wonderful artist. I have fond memories of singing and strumming his tunes around the camp fire on an annual trip I used to take to Big South Fork with a group of friends for about 15 straight years.

Here's an iconic performance from the 2001 Sessions at West 54th of which the tagline on youtube says "ahhhhh baby ..this is good....."

Yes indeed....

Last edited:
One the first, and still one of the best concerts I ever attended was John Prine at Grinnell College in the winter of 1972. He had one album out and few had heard of him. I almost didn't go because I'd never heard of him. Not only was the performance spectacular, but it taught me to give everyone a chance. That last, was a gift.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I wasn't on B&B when John Prine died.... I miss him.... he went into the hospital that last time on March 26th... two years ago... So I concur... RIP John Prine....

Top Bottom