What's new

RIP Givenchy Gentleman - trying to recreate...?

I've been using Givenchy Gentleman after shave splash for decades and was dismayed to discover, a few months ago, that it's been discontinued. Having tried a few alternatives (don't want EDT or spray - has splash gone out of fashion?) I decided to try to make my own using essential oils and a base of isopropopyl and/or witchhazel. I've come up with some interesting smells but nothing that captures that GG essence - any ideas?
Thanks

I didn't realize Givenchy made a Gentleman aftershave. Good luck in recreating that one. I've had a bottle of the EdT for ages, and I love the smell. I assume the aftershave smells identical to the EdT, just a weaker version?

basenotes (http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120690.html) might tip off what you missing...

Top Notes: Tarragon, Cinnamon
Heart Notes: Patchouli, Vetiver
Base Notes: Civet, Russian Leather

I remember seeing somewhere that this fragrance used actual Russian Leather in the base which made it unique for the time. Maybe that's where the misfire is? Russian leather itself implies a specialty blend of tree oils and hide to imbue a scent. I am not a tanner, perfumer, or apothecary but I imagine any of this could contribute?

Also read the comments on this... PLEASE read ALL the comments.

upload_2019-2-11_15-42-0.png

There is also a 4 page, almost 500 word epic poem written as a review.

Top Bottom