What's new

RIP George Segal

I hadn't seen a post for this wonderful talent yet and so I thought I would throw one out there. He was the lead in a lot of movies that appealed to me in my youth and really made me want to be him. He had an easy-going charm that was infectious. The ones I remember as a kid were: The Hot Rock, The Southern Star, No Way to Treat a Lady, The Black Bird, California Split, and The Quiller Memorandum. Not all were great movies, but they were buoyed by the Segal charm. My kids discovered him later on with Look Who's Talking and Just Shoot Me.
george-segal.jpg

His role in Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf is quite good.
His only Academy Award nomination. He always turned in a good performance, though he seemed to drift more toward comedies starting in the '70s. King Rat, where he plays the lead, is no comedy, and I don't think The Quiller Memorandum is either. There are comic touches in No Way to Treat a Lady -- but it's a serial killer story, no comedy for sure.

He, Robert Redford, and Ron Leibman were to me the embodiment of Donald Westlake's likeable and unsuccessful thieves Kelp, Dortmunder, and Murch, in The Hot Rock.

Top Bottom