What's new

RIP General Colin L. Powell

I'm not American, I guess I don't know enough about him. What made him great?

Remember back in the Gulf War, when the US forces pushed the Republican Guard back to the Iraqi borders and our of Kuwait? Then they didn't pursue into Iraq, it wasn't part of the mission. That was largely Powell and Schwarzkopf who developed that.
And he was also a well respected and liked Secretary of State.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Remember back in the Gulf War, when the US forces pushed the Republican Guard back to the Iraqi borders and our of Kuwait? Then they didn't pursue into Iraq, it wasn't part of the mission. That was largely Powell and Schwarzkopf who developed that.
And he was also a well respected and liked Secretary of State.

Thank you for this reminder. If there is something I am not at all bad at, is knowing such stuff, and the history of warfare in the 20-th century in general. Good point.
P.S. I respect Colin Powell for that rational and smart decision, but the other folks (who were in even higher places back then, than Powell, if you know what I mean) who were back at it with Iraq again after a couple o years - much less so, because IMO that was a much less smart a decision. At least that is my humble opinion.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
He was a General that might have made a good US President. But it seems like he was another Cincinnatus. A good man, and an intelligent one.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
He was a General that might have made a good US President. But it seems like he was another Cincinnatus. A good man, and an intelligent one.

Wow, our brother Tan was either an History major or just lived a lot of time in Cincinnati.

Top Bottom