What's new

RIP Cokie Roberts

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
One of the first and finest female journalists has passed away at 75 from complications due to breast cancer.

I heard a great deal of Cokie Roberts over my lifetime, from my childhood on up to the present, on both TV and radio. I cannot think of someone who was more informed, intelligent, articulate, and also insightful, not to mention how she always found a way to be both deadly serious yet delightfully humorous about anything she was called upon for comment. When I heard her name or her voice, I listened, and I learned.

I really enjoyed listening to her. Obvious which way she leaned, but she did give a voice to the opposite sides of an issue. More talking heads today could learn from her.

I miss those days when we had real news people and journalists like Cokie. Even if I didn't agree with what they said, at least they were intelligent and professional and I got something out of it. I can't think of any today that I respect. Turning on any news station today is like listening to 30 minutes of this.

Woe to the politician who thought she was just "a skirt" . . . she was quite often better informed on the subject matter than the person she was interviewing, and she was withering when someone tried to obfuscate.

I have no doubt that St. Peter is just going to open the Gates wide for her rather than risk the grilling which might ensue should he question her bona fides.

I was saddened to hear of her passing. She was a real journalist, something we're in short supply of these days.

Top Bottom