What's new

RIP Bobby Rydell

Wow, am I really the first to post a RIP for Bobby Rydell? I think of him as one of the numerous late 50s early 60s teenage heart throb Bobbys/Bobbies, such as Vinton, Darin, and Vee, I am sure I am leaving someone out. Goldsboro and Sherman were later, I think.

Feels like the very end of something. If I get a chance I am going to try to look out to see who other of such Bobbys still walks with the living. If I get to that I will post. Out of Philly like Fabian and others. Most famous for Valore, I suppose, which seems a bit of a novelty song to me, at this point. Starred opposite Ann Margaret in Bye, Bye Birdie. Survived some major medical issues, including transplants, to make it to 79. Seems like he was an all around good guy and talented performer. Arguably emblematic of a certain genre of popular music in those pre-Beatles times. RIP.

[I looked them up. Vinton is still with us, as are the later Sheman and Goldsboro, [[who were not really a part of the ironically named bobby soxer artists] sorry!, in looking it up and thinking about it, "bobby soxer" is from an earlier era (Sinatra and such) and is the wrong term. I do not know what the right term is. "Teeny bopper" is really later.] Darin, Vee, and, now. Rydell, all have passed. I had forgotten that Bob Dylan admired Bobby Vee. Makes me like them both all the more!]

Last edited:
As I remember, I saw Bobby Rydell on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City in the summer of 64 (?). I think he was on before they showed the "A Hard Days Night" film. I don't remember a band, so Rydell may have been lip syncing. Not one of my R&R favorites. I have hundreds of oldies in iTunes and no Rydell. As I remember, Wild One was ok, but I hated Volare. Back then AM radio over-played every song to death until you couldn't stand it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Bobby Rydell was something of the voice of my parents' high school experience. They graduated in '64. I listened to a lot of Bobby Rydell while I was growing up, so he's also something of a voice of my own childhood.

Shoot, the dadgum high school in Grease was Rydell High! If that's not a reflection of his importance during the early '60s, then I don't know what is.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've never seen it on stage, but the film version of Grease was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I could sing all the songs and darn near recite all the lines.
I'm a bit older than you, but I saw Grease more than once in the "Multiplex" and several times channel surfing..... I was always so proud that I graduated "Beauty Skool" so I wouldn't get teased werser than I was, lol.

And who didn't absolutely fall in love with the female lead? Lol, that's half the reason I married my wife!

I'm a bit older than you, but I saw Grease more than once in the "Multiplex" and several times channel surfing..... I was always so proud that I graduated "Beauty Skool" so I wouldn't get teased werser than I was, lol.

And who didn't absolutely fall in love with the female lead? Lol, that's half the reason I married my wife!
Your wife was an Australian high school transfer student? 😁

Top Bottom