What's new

RIP: Andy Griffith dead at 86 :-(

I saw that earlier. I still enjoy watching the Andy Griffith Show re-runs on TV Land. It is a classic show that still brings a smile 2 my face. May he rest in peace. My prayers go out to him, his family, friends, and millions of fans.

WARHAWK

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
"Television icon Andy Griffith has died at 86, a friend told a North Carolina news station.

Former University of North Carolina president Bill Friday told WITN News that the "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Matlock" actor died at his home in Dare County, N.C.

The Dare County Sheriff's office would only confirm to TheWrap that emergency services were sent to Griffith's home Tuesday morning.

The actor's agent did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

With his slow drawl and penchant for playing characters who wore their decency like a badge in shows like "The Andy Griffith Show," the actor came to personify small town values with their emphasis on family and community. He was, in many ways, America's sheriff.

He first came to prominence on Broadway in the 1950s in the army comedy "No Time for Sergeants" and the musical version of "Destry Rides Again."

He would reprise his country bumpkin role in "Sergeants" for the 1958 film version, earning rave reviews and propelling the film to the top of that year's box office winners.

But his film debut in 1957's "A Face in the Crowd" mined a darker side of Griffith, one that he largely abandoned in favor of more populist slices of entertainment. Working with legendary director Elia Kazan, Griffith gave his finest dramatic performance as Larry "Lonesome" Rhodes, a drifter who is discovered by an ambitious producer and transformed into a national television phenomenon. With his folksy bromides, Rhodes seemed to presage such modern boob tube bloviators as Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann and the film itself was a sly commentary on the power of television that was way ahead of its time.

Yet it was television that would launch Griffith into the pop culture pantheon. Playing Sheriff Andy Taylor, a widower trying to raise a young son, on the long running "The Andy Griffith Show," the actor found the perfect vehicle for his easy-going delivery and comic talents".

Read More: http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=740602

May He Rest in Peace!!!

Attachments

• $70C58F4E5BB5D0FDE74BFFD27C897.jpg
    $70C58F4E5BB5D0FDE74BFFD27C897.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Well said. I plan on watching a few eps today at noon.

I saw that earlier. I still enjoy watching the Andy Griffith Show re-runs on TV Land. It is a classic show that still brings a smile 2 my face. May he rest in peace. My prayers go out to him, his family, friends, and millions of fans.

WARHAWK

RIP, Andy.

Say hi to the rest of the Mayberry gang for me. Floyd's waiting to give you a haircut and shave, I bet, and Aunt Bea has dinner waiting. Guitar and song on the front porch after dinner.

Oh, how time passes. Ah, nostalgia.

The Andy Griffith Show has got to be one of the best American television programs of all time.
Full of humanity, humor, truth, and fun. Andy will be missed by millions, myself included.
(and, yes, he is "resting in peace") Very sad news, indeed. Condolences to family he left behind.

As Christopher mentioned above, if you would like to see what Andy Griffith was capable of, watch Elia Kazan's "A Face in the Crowd" (1957). The great actor admitted that he went to a place where he wasn't entirely comfortable. I think it is one of the best performances captured on film.

R.I.P. Andy Griffith.

2nd recomendation for "A Face in the Crowd" truely remarkable acting and predicted today's modern Politics by 50 years.

Loved Loved Loved me some Matlock when I was in High School.....watched it everyweek on NBC.

I heard about this on the radio this morning. The local DJ said he thought it was just the paparazzi over reacting to seeing an ambulance at Andy Griffith's home. Until it comes from an official source I have my fingers crossed hoping the DJ was right.

I watched "The Andy Griffith Show" as a kid and my Dad loved to watch Matlock. Feeling kind of sad right now.

The wheel is turning and you can't slow down
You can't let go and you can't hold on
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

-jim

Top Bottom