What's new

Rinsing your razor and oiling

After looking at a number of videos of people using straights I have noticed that they either hold the razor under the tap or wipe on a cloth to get rid of the lather/stubble.

Is there a reason for this as opposed to rinsing it in a basin of water like a DE ?

Also regarding oiling your razor after use - I can understand doing this if you shave irregularly with it but in the case were you are using the same straight almost everyday is it necessary if you dry it properly by stropping afterwards?
At the moment the oiling after and cleaning before isn't an issue as I only use my straight on weekends but looking at using it daily and the oil routine will soon become painful unless it is necessary.

thanks

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Well, I used to shake the razor in the sink but the risks of hitting the edge on something are rather high. Under running water, it works well. I prefer using a wet sponge.

For the oil, I never oil. I keep my straights like my wine, in a dark, dry place.

For the oil, I never oil. I keep my straights like my wine, in a dark, dry place.

and, if taken care of, only get better with age... until they turn to vinegar :huh:

seriously, i use running water, letting the force of the faucet do all the work.

Actually, back in the day when I used a DE I rinsed it by holding it under a stream of running water, that is also how I rinse my straight between strokes. Rinsing a straight in a basin full of water is possible, but it increases the risk of banging the blade on something and ruining it. Wiping on a towel or sponge is an alternative for those without running water.

I don't oil my blades, I just dry them and put them away. If I was planning to store a razor, I would give it a thin coat of mineral oil.

I hold the razor under hot running tap water on both sides to wash away the lather, then carefully wipe the blade one time with toilet tissue held between my index finger & thumb (edge facing out and not touching the toilet tissue). The heat of the metal (from the hot water) causes any moisture to evaporate. Sometimes I give about 20 light passes on linen while the blade is still warm.
I never use oil, except to fry fish.:001_smile

I prefer using running water. I tried the sponge but I actually dinged the razor :lol: I'm just use to washing it under the tap, I have yet to ding an edge.

Rinse under running water here. After use I rinse with water than an alcohol bath, clean off with toilet tissue then wipe with silicone cloth and put it away.

i now wipe the blade with a finger from the spine to the edge, look at the what at the cut whiskers, smile, rinse off my finger and proceed.

on rare occasion i will use a sponge or rinse under water. i don't think it is as easy to maneuver the straight as a DE in this situation and get the same swishing effect in the back and forth motion.

Regular store bought 70% isopropyl alcohol. I keep it in a mason jar and give the razor a dunk in it after a hot water rinse. More so to disperse the water than anything.

I presume you have seen Chimensch's 30th Anniversary Shaving Video B&B thread where he makes good use of a sponge.

Like you, I prefer to fill the sink with water to rinse the blade, while also keeping a clean bowl of water warm while as it sits in the sink. I have learned to hold the blade upside down to minimize damage in case I ding against the bottom of the sink, but that still doesn't remove all the bits of lather, even if the lather is made very thin to minimize the stickiness. I have concluded the sink full of water approach doesn't work that well for straights.

I was under the impression that the thorough drying/oiling with each use was only really needed for the carbon blades and that stainless straights you just wiped off to keep em shiny.

*this is a question as I have no experience with straights as of yet.

Legion

Staff member
I only oil a blade if I am putting it away for a while. If it is going to be used again in the next day or three I dont bother.

I have 3 straights, all carbon, and I don't oil any of them. I just make sure they are dry before I put them back under the sink, and I haven't had any rusting problems in the year I've been doing this.

I rinse under running water. I tried the sponge, but my sink is real small and I didn't like it. I think if I had a bigger sink it would be better. Then when I am done I find a dry spot on my towel and pinch the blade(all but the edge) to get most of the moisture off, and then "strop" a few times on another dry spot to dry the edge off.

Thanks for all the feedback - it was Chimensch's video that got me thinking about the rinsing as I had been very carefully rinsing in the basin. Sponge seems a bit easier and safer.

cheers

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for all the feedback - it was Chimensch's video that got me thinking about the rinsing as I had been very carefully rinsing in the basin. Sponge seems a bit easier and safer.

cheers

That's what I think. I do a stropping motion to wipe the lather off the blade. I hold the sponge while doing that.

Used a folded face cloth over the edge of the basin (no sponge except ones shaped like animals) this morning and was a lot easier than the basin of water. Also keep things drier which is probably safer.

Also my first full straight shave i.e. no DE touch ups. Acceptable shave by cartridge standards but pretty sucky compared to what I can manage with a DE - but I thought the sooner I get rid of the crutch the sooner I will be able to shave correctly.

Top Bottom