What's new

Rinsing - warm vs cold?

This isn't a warm vs cold water shaving thread. I cold water shaved all through summer and loved it, but it's too cold now, and I'm enjoying warm water instead.

What I've always done is go straight from my final pass to a cold water rinse. Rather than empty the sink, swill it out, fill it with warm water, rinse, empty the sink again, and rinse with cold water; I just empty the sink and rinse with cold water straight from the tap. (That's a faucet for you Yanks :001_tt2: )

I read something earlier which suggested a warm water rinse is needed to properly remove the traces of soap or cream from the skin, before the cold water rinse to tighten everything up. Is that a fact, or is it just someone's opinion?

I'm going to give it a try anyway, I'm just curious.

I read something earlier which suggested a warm water rinse is needed to properly remove the traces of soap or cream from the skin, before the cold water rinse to tighten everything up. Is that a fact, or is it just someone's opinion?

That seems to me to be someone's opinion.

I'm not sure about that. I've always done that though. Empty and rinse sink, warm water face rinse from tap, then cold water face rinse from tap. More than likely it's just a preference.

Far more determinative of the thoroughness of your rinse is the hardness of your water, be it warm or cold. I prefer cold, but this time of year (in the Northern Hemisphere), I like tepid water best for the final rinse.

Far more determinative of the thoroughness of your rinse is the hardness of your water, be it warm or cold. I prefer cold, but this time of year (in the Northern Hemisphere), I like tepid water best for the final rinse.
Far more determinable? My water is so hard that you could practically eat it like Campbell's chunky soup, and my year-round warm water rinses are as through and effective as humanly possible. Mineral content has nothing to do with it.

+1. I've always done a cold water rinse because it's refreshing to me. After my rinse my skin feels literally squeaky clean. It's all a matter of preference. Do what feels good to you.

+2

30 odd ml of Osage to follow and walk d dawgs in the chilly air. Me's happy!

Cool water rinse, but I shower after shaving so it gets a warm shower and cold rinse when finishing. I have done that for 40 years give or take, not sure why just my preference.

YMMV, my friend. I was simply pointing out that on the level of simple chemistry, hard water reacts with saponified fatty acids to produce scum, which is a major contributing component of the squeaky feeling soap can impart. To say mineral content has nothing to do with it is to discount the simple physical fact of the role hard water plays in scum production, scum being not soluble in water. Good luck to you sir.

I have found that warm water removes lather residue more easily. In hot weather, I may have a cold rinse after the warm one.

Cold: it closes the pores and soothes the skin.

I'm of the opinion that lather residue is not a bad thing; it is more likely to be moisturizing to your skin. (Remember, you already washed your face before shaving, so what is left is clean soap if you manage to get the whiskers off). I suppose if you have oily skin it's a better idea, but my skin is prone to getting dried out.

I do a thorough cold water rinse after my final pass. During this I keep running cold water and when it gets on the border of ice cold I wet my washcloth and apply to my face. I used to lightly rinse off my face with room temp water followed by the cold cloth. However, I must admit that the cold rinse has helped reducing razor burn (from my M3 days, still fairly new at wet shaving). Unless you are shaving outside, I wouldn't let the cold weather steer your decision on a cold vs. warm rinse.

Sometimes I even rub a nice cube on my face if I feel any razor burn. The cold will help tighten up your pores and close any smile nicks. I am believer in a cold final rinse.

Warm water rinse and apply alum. Let rest while cleaning hardware. Cold water rinse and close with AS. This works for me.

Top Bottom