What's new

Rinsing - warm vs cold?

The only warm water I use is in the soaking of my brush & puck (I feel that the warm water softens the harder soaps better). Aside from that, it's cold water from start to finish & I never have a problem with left over product on either my face or head when I'm done.

I use warm lather for all my passes and do not rinse between passes 1,2 and 3. I rinse with cold water before and after my last pass. Then I blot dry, no wiping, and apply WH proceed with clean-up and finish with AS. It works for me, of course YRRMV (Your Rinse Regime May Vary).

I both shave with cold and rinse with cold most of the time. I have not had any issues with soap/cream not being rinsed off well. Just make sure you rinse it all off and dont miss the spots behind the ear

What I do is hot water during shave then drain the sink splash warm water on my face from the tap and then cold water from the tap blot dry apply WH air dry that with a towel then apply AS/Balm. Works for me:)

I used to do warm and cold, but now I just go cold. The cold is just refreshing to me even in this cold weather.

I shave warm, but my final rinse is always with cold water, especially when using Proraso green; the combination of cold water + menthol is invigorating.

This isn't a warm vs cold water shaving thread. I cold water shaved all through summer and loved it, but it's too cold now, and I'm enjoying warm water instead.

What I've always done is go straight from my final pass to a cold water rinse. Rather than empty the sink, swill it out, fill it with warm water, rinse, empty the sink again, and rinse with cold water; I just empty the sink and rinse with cold water straight from the tap. (That's a faucet for you Yanks :001_tt2: )

I read something earlier which suggested a warm water rinse is needed to properly remove the traces of soap or cream from the skin, before the cold water rinse to tighten everything up. Is that a fact, or is it just someone's opinion?

I'm going to give it a try anyway, I'm just curious.

I keep water in the sink as I'm shaving. So when I'm done I turn on some warm water and rinse out the sink and get all the hairs out of it. As I'm doing that I usually get my hands wet and simply rub them over my face to get any remaining soap off of it. But I don't consider that my rinse. As soon as the sink is cleaned out I turn off the hot water and let the cold water get as cold as it's going to get. I put a washcloth under it and let it get soaked with cold water. I wring it out a bit and then place the it over my entire face and leave it there for a a short while.

A few days ago someone posted a video of a guy doing a professional straight razor shave. It was an excellent vid and the guy really seemed to know what he was talking about and to be good at it. When he was done he too placed a really cold towel over his customer's face. He said it needed to be really cold to almost shock the skin and close up the pores. You might look for that video.

Edit: for what it's worth ... after the cold water rinse I then hold a large chunk of alum under the same cold water and run that all over my face. Then I take a while to clean my razor by holding it under running water. I put my thumb over the faucet head to increase the water pressure and make sure it blows out any crud. I don't take the razor apart. Then I rinse my brush thoroughly to get out the rest of the later and shake it a bit, then gently "strop" it a few times on a dry towel to get out as much surface water as possible. Then I go back and re-soak the washcloth in really cold water and apply it a second time to get off any possible alum residue. At that point I'm ready for for whatever post shave product(s) I want to apply, This might sound complicated, but it's actually a pretty simple routine.

Last edited:
Seems like warm water removes the soap residue better than cold. So I warm water rinse the soap off, then cold water.

I do a warm water rinse to get soap residue off followed by a cold as it can get cold water rinse (that's pretty cold in winter in Canada :w00t:). Followed by drying then WH toner spritz to whole face then AS splash. It's just habitual for me and I feel recommendations for this are likely just opinion rather than anything else.

I do find the warm rinse to be more effective at removing lather residue and I don't like to leave residue on my face as my pores have a tendency to clog pretty easily. Do enjoy the cold water rinse afterwards though, feels great and supposedly helps close pores etc.

I usually run colder water and splash it on my face to rinse off. Since most of my favorite after shaves tend to burn in a good way, I find the colder water rinse cuts the burn to just right for me. Could be because it tightens the skin up or could be a couple seconds of chilled skin, I just know if feels better.

Used to rinse with warm water. I find cold water more enjoyable now. It also closes up tiny weepers. Drying my face up with a towel after the final rinse is the best part of my shaves.

For me I rinse with warm water then cold water rinse to tighten, just my habit I made for myself. Rinse any cream left of with warm water in my sink, cold water rinse followed by alum block and another cold rinse and done and do my WH and AS/balm routine.

To tag on late in the game here... is it really just personal preference?

I always thought it was good to rinse with cold water after opening your pores with a lot of steam/hot water. Was under the impression that this tightens up your skin and closes up your pores.

I've been shaving, hot water rinse, alcohol based after shave(been using tend skin because I had some problem with ingrown hairs, and I must say it works very good), do whatever I have to do clean out the razor brush etc, cold water rinse and then a cream/liquid after shave.

Maybe overkill but I like the burn of the alcohol and the soothing moisturizer of a aftershave cream, I didn't want to pick just one.

I do cold water rinses all year. My favorite post shave method is to do a cold water rinse, Pat my face dry, put on WH, and then Krampert's Frostbite. I find that to be so refreshing.

Top Bottom