What's new

Rings

I wear a gold signet ring my parents bought me for my 18th birthday, now quite a few years ago. I'm so used to it my hand feels slightly off balance when I don't have it on. Also, the initials carved into it jog my memory when I forget my name.

Apart from my wedding ring, I wear this gold, smallish, simple Texas Tech University class ring my girlfriend at the time (now wife of 27 years) bought me when I graduated from graduate school with my MBA (Health Org Management co-degree with the Medical School) in 1991. It has received its share of dings and scratches though the years, but it's a reminder of a completely unexpected gift from her for an accomplishment I'm proud of.
TTU ring.jpg

I wear one on each ring finger. One for obvious reasons, the other because I'm a bit OCD and don't like asymmetry. I've also lost around 55 lbs over the past 6 years, so I've had to get new sizes 3 different times, now.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don’t wear rings, and my wedding band only very rarely. I recently bought a silicone “wedding band” and actually don’t mind wearing it.

I wear one on each ring finger. One for obvious reasons, the other because I'm a bit OCD and don't like asymmetry.

“... and that, my dear, is why I have a second wife as well ... OCD about the symmetry.”

I was married for 21 years and rarely wore my wedding band. Must have known what was coming, lol. I wear a gold ring with a diamond on my left hand and either a gold Masonic Square and Compass or Shriner PP ring on my right. In my younger days that diamond was a pinky ring, lol.

I used to wear a wedding ring and over the decades gained enough weight so that it did not come off, at least easily. When I lost some weight I got it off and have pretty much never put it back on. Have been thinking about getting it re-sized to go on and off easily. I suppose I wore a high school class ring for a bit when I was a senior in high school, but nothing until I got married 14 years later. So I would say I was not drawn to wearing a ring or I would have bought myself one. I guess I got used to wearing a wedding ring and it did not seem to bother me. A couple of decades ago or so, I started to have some interest in having a university ring. If I had thought I would actually wear it, I probably would have bought one. I am concluding that I like the look of a ring on me, at least something very conventional, but not the "feel."

An accountant for my firm long ago, who was about as un-"working with his hands" and un-outdoorsy as could possibly be, managed to tear his ring finger off his hand, when his wedding ring caught on a fence he was hopping over. That "image" has sort of stuck with me, too. Rather haunting.

Legion

Staff member
I only wear my wedding ring, which is silver and made from an old half dollar. This photo is of when it was new. The detail has been worn a lot smoother now. In ten years time it will look like a regular silver band. I think that is symbolic of how marriage wears you down.

DSC00111.jpg

I wear two rings for ten years. One ring for index fingers.

I noticed a strange habit, I can not wear them at home, they immediately begin to disturb me, but I can’t wear them outside the house, as if naked and I want to hide my hands. This is due to psychology and habit, probably :)

Legion

Staff member
I wear two rings for ten years. One ring for index fingers.

I noticed a strange habit, I can not wear them at home, they immediately begin to disturb me, but I can’t wear them outside the house, as if naked and I want to hide my hands. This is due to psychology and habit, probably :)
I'm the same. When I get home my ring and watch come off. But if I forgot to put one on I would feel weird outside the house.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
but I can’t wear them outside the house

Did you mean "can't not wear them outside the house"? As in, you have to always wear them outside the house?

as if naked and I want to hide my hands. This is due to psychology and habit, probably

If I have your meaning correct, ... I am the same way with hats. I've gotten so that going outside without a hat on seems ... odd. Half-naked. Strange, since I spent most of my life not wearing hats normally and not caring about this.

Custom sterling Wedding ring only. My original wedding ring was stollen my first year as a mechanic right out of my tool box. 10 years ago. I learned the hard way that a battery, sweat, and a stifling silver ring were a bad combination.

Last summer I told my wife I wanted it replaced but the original jeweler was not available. I found another who could.

Hopi rain clouds flanking the Hopi symbol for friendship.

Only ring I'll ever wear is my wedding band. It's off for most outdoors activities, when using tools, and so forth.

...The swelling made it necessary to cut of the wedding ring.
That's really cool that you were able to get it repaired and still wear it. That scenario was mentioned a lot when I was settling on a cobalt band. My plan is to be sure to yank it off in time, which is pretty assumptive.

These are the three rings that I wear. I alternate between the Masonic and Shrine rings.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom