What's new

Ring Flash

Any recommendations? I have a macro lens and now need the flash to use it right. I have a canon eos ti, the lens is the 100 mm macro.

Three options:
1: DIY
2: Canon MT-24EX or Canon MR-14EX
3. Alien Bees Ringflash

I would go with DIY first, and if you want more control and better light, go with the Alien Bees. I wouldn't recommend either of the Canon Ringflashes because it is better to get either a 430EX or a 580EX and do a diy ringflash mod to it if you want TTL.

Kind of depends on what you want to use it for.

As a dentist, I use the MR14EX many times daily. Great, diffused, shadowless light up close with perfect exposure every time. If I wanted to have a little more light direction definition, getting creative with specular reflections, the MT24 would be better. Beyond my budget for how often I would use it, however.

If you are thinking fashion photography, however, you would likely want a larger ring to prevent throwing shadows. The DIY would be better here. The alien bees mentioned above looks pretty cool too.

Go to your local Target, Wal-Mart, etc. and buy a few strings of LED Christmas lights. They'll be baffingly cheap this time of year.

Top Bottom