What's new

"Ring around the collar"

Looking for advise on what you folks due to treat "Ring around the collar".

I've noticed that I get it more on my darker colored shirts than on my whites. Been brushing my neck with talc after a shave seems to help lessen the stain. Still I see stains after the day is over. Been using Lestoil which does a good job but I have to run my shirts thru another wash cycle as it leaves a strong oil like scent.

Been looking at the idea of using shampoo or some over the counter laundry product.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Are you old enough to remember Wisk laundry detergent's "ring around the collar" ads? Maybe you should switch to Wisk if you're not already using it! :wink2:

Seriously, though, when it comes to stain removers, Shout is the one I always keep coming back to. I've also heard shampoo works well on ring around the collar, but you don't want to leave it on too long or it will remove the color.

I was looking at dish detergent, (Dawn) shampoo and Shout. With all of them do you pretreat the ring 5 minutes before washing and do you apply it on a dry or wet collar etc.?

BTW, I would have never known that shampoo could remove or fade the color of a shirt. :scared:

Thanks,

Dry with toothbrush and five to ? Minutes without fear of color fade. Regular blue dawn liquid works great .

I was looking at dish detergent, (Dawn) shampoo and Shout. With all of them do you pretreat the ring 5 minutes before washing and do you apply it on a dry or wet collar etc.?

BTW, I would have never known that shampoo could remove or fade the color of a shirt. :scared:

Thanks,

Thanks guys for the Dawn recommendation - I will give that a try as well. I have had great success with Shout but Dawn is much cheaper and more versatile around the household.

This is an interesting thread for me as well. Thanks for posting.

I seem to get it more on my lighter colors though. In fact, I can't think of a single time I had this issue with a darker color (though I rarely wear dark dress shirts)

I noticed blood on my pillow case that was at least two days old (from last time I shaved my head, didn't even notice the nick!) and shout took it right out. If it can take out two day old blood stains, I'm pretty sure most everything is fair game.

Good luck!

Cheers,

M.

There's a product I found online that looked very promising called "my clean shirt". Sadly, they don't deliver to Canada so I'm just using Tide Boost stain remover. It works pretty good.

If you run water over the collar to get it all wet and then rub iwhatever detergent you are using into the stained areas before you throw the shirt into the washer you will find it will make the ring disappear.

If you run water over the collar to get it all wet and then rub iwhatever detergent you are using into the stained areas before you throw the shirt into the washer you will find it will make the ring disappear.

Tried that and for the most part it does work. However it seems my dark colored shirts will still have a little residue. I'm considering doing this method but a week before I actually wash the shirts. Just concern that this method may discolor the shirt.

How do you apply it as in on a dry or wetted shirt? Also, a few day before a wash or 5 minutes pre-wash?

I've got a bar in my washroom and never used it.

I usually wet the collar, apply the soap, then give it a good rub together. I've done it both a few days before and 5minutes before with good results.

The other half of the picture, of course, is washing your neck with so every day.

OH! Wash your neck with soap! I've been rubbing mine with dirt every night, I'll try using soap this week and report on any changes.

I've had a white shirt that had some yellow sweat stains around the collar. Rubbed some dynamo (or any stain-removing laundry detergent) and napisan and the stain came out! Took 3 applications and washes though as I've not worn that shirt for a long time. Napisan does the trick just let both soak on the collar overnight.

Top Bottom