What's new

Rikishia, what do you know about it?

Hi,

This blade came as a sweetner when my bro bought the Saito SK2 and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the maker. Can't find anything on the net or the board.

Cheers,

Paul

$P4284946.jpg$P4284943.jpg$P4284944.jpg$P4284945.jpg

Legion

Staff member
It looks Japanese. But I am only guessing that because the stamping is similar to other Japanese razors. I'm guessing 50's.

Definitely Japanese. Made by the Nichiri Co., the company that also made King Pelicans. Optometrist, a B&B member has a larger re-scaled one.
The scales are also original Japanese. B&B member Blix has the same scales on his Iwate Hirade.

Also, eight is a special number in the far east. So 888 probably not an accident.

• Eight (八; accounting 捌; pinyin bā) is considered a lucky number in Chinese culture because it sounds like the word meaning to generate wealth (發(T) 发(S); Pinyin: fā). Property with the number 8 may be valued greatly by Chinese. For example, a Hong Kong number plate with the number 8 was sold for $640,000.[SUP][9][/SUP] The opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics in Beijing started at 8 seconds and 8 minutes past 8 pm (local time) on 8 August 2008.[SUP][10][/SUP]
  • Eight (八 hachi, ya[SUP]?[/SUP]) is also considered a lucky number in Japanese culture, but the reason is different from that in Chinese culture. Eight gives an idea of growing prosperous, because the letter (八) broadens gradually.
  • The Japanese thought eight (や ya[SUP]?[/SUP]) as a holy number in the ancient times. The reason is less well understood, but it is thought that it is related to the fact they used eight to express large numbers vaguely such as manyfold (やえはたえ Yae Hatae[SUP]?[/SUP]) (literally, eightfold and twentyfold), many clouds (やくも Yakumo[SUP]?[/SUP]) (literally, eight clouds), millions and millions of Gods (やおよろずのかみ Yaoyorozu no Kami[SUP]?[/SUP]) (literally, eight millions of Gods), etc. It is also guessed that the ancient Japanese gave importance to pairs, so some researchers guess twice as four (よ yo[SUP]?[/SUP]), which is also guessed to be a holy number in those times because it indicates the world (north, south, east, and west) might be considered a very holy number.

Top Bottom