What's new

Riding the train

Aside from those who commute on a train, does anyone have experience traveling or vacationing by train?

In the South, we have a pretty sad lack of access to trains. I think its actually something the US lacks in general except closer to larger cities (DC, NY, Boston etc).

In the past, when considering travel by train, the routes have been way out of the way, or the cost has been way more or at least equal to flying. I recently looked into it again for my families trip to Disney this September. Surprisingly, from Charleston to Orlando or Kissimmee, the prices are really decent. I'm more than likely going to do it if I can nail down transportation from the Amtrak station to our resort. Disney will shuttle you to and from the Airport, but seems to have no such service for Amtrak.

ANYWAYS...are there any veterans of the rails who care to share stores, tips, tricks etc?

I was a frequent chugger on the Southwest Chief via The Lakeshore Limited.

The restrooms are dreadful, the food and booze are subpar, and the employees are eccentric.

The only way to travel. :laugh:

Some gals don't care for it from my experience. Do it up right and get a private berth to please the wife. The journey will turn into the experience you remember.

Last edited:
Last time I rode the rails was in Washington state in summer, 2012. We went from Seattle to Wenatchie. Great trip and on time, but sadly enough, often the long haul Amtrak trains run hours late.

I enjoy riding trains, but the U.S. is decades behind when it comes to train technology. Amtrak is almost always more expensive than a car trip and takes much longer to get to your destination. I believe that if the U.S. would spend the money on a better railway system, more people would ride it. In the city of Charlotte for example, the city built a light rail system that has already surpassed all expectations for ridership and profit.

In the South, we have a pretty sad lack of access to trains.

I love living in the South, but public transportation is not our strong suit.

I love living in the South, but public transportation is not our strong suit.

The sad truth.

I looked into Amtrak a few years back when I was taking my boys to visit their grandparents in NH. The cost for tickets was about the same as flying but they wanted $300 extra to book a sleeping berth. No thanks.

The Shinkansen (bullet train) is my mode of transportation around this rock 80 percent of the time. I like it as it's more intimate getting to see the country side instead of just flying over everything.

The sad truth.

I looked into Amtrak a few years back when I was taking my boys to visit their grandparents in NH. The cost for tickets was about the same as flying but they wanted $300 extra to book a sleeping berth. No thanks.
They're rates aren't cheap... I don't think that they are going to go down anytime soon because of the AmTrak 188 derailment incident.

The Shinkansen (bullet train) is my mode of transportation around this rock 80 percent of the time. I like it as it's more intimate getting to see the country side instead of just flying over everything.

And almost as fast!
I loved the idea of a bento and a beer at 9am when in the Shinkansen.

It looks like you are traveling from NC to Orlando which is a straight ride (no transfers). As long as not overnight travel it is fun as the seats are like first class on a plane.

Once a year in the 1950's we took took the train from Newark to Pittsburgh---getting aboard in the early evening, sleeping (very soundly) in a Pullman car, and waking up (totally refreshed) in Pittsburgh the following morning. In all of my travels since then, nothing has been as relaxing and pleasant.

It looks like you are traveling from NC to Orlando which is a straight ride (no transfers). As long as not overnight travel it is fun as the seats are like first class on a plane.

Well actually be leaving from Charleston SC. It's a straight shot to Orlando. Something like a 9 hour ride if I remember. Luckily both going and returning are not over night.

The only drawback I'm seeing now is that cab fares to our resort and back to the station might be as much as $30 each way. If gas prices remain the same any form of transport is a hard sell versus driving.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've rode the train from Aurora, IL to Chicago, IL to many times to remember. It's roughly 1 - 2 hours depending on what time you leave.

Pleasant experience every time. I really like trains and always wanted to take one of those transcontinental rides that takes you through all the best country and you're on the train for like 5 days. Maybe one day.

I took an Amtrak trip before just for the novelty of it. Depending on how far you're going, the train makes a bunch of stops, can be delayed for hours, and takes about five times as long to get to your destination as an airplane. I've never taken a train trip since and I'll only recommend it for those who are afraid of flying or just love trains.

I did one of the double decker glass top trains in Alaska through Denali. Fantastic experience. Otherwise it seems like train travel is almost as expensive as flying with the long travel time and sketchy accomodations of a bus. Probably unfair to train travel but that is my impression. The time saved by flying wins for long distances and the convience of driving wins for short ones. Puts trains in a tough spot unless they can be significantly cheaper.

I took an Amtrak trip before just for the novelty of it. Depending on how far you're going, the train makes a bunch of stops, can be delayed for hours, and takes about five times as long to get to your destination as an airplane. I've never taken a train trip since and I'll only recommend it for those who are afraid of flying or just love trains.

A lot of doing this is about the novelty/nostalgic aspect. I'm definitely going to check out the time tables to see how on time this train runs historically. Going to Orlando, we have to leave at about 5 am (kind of a pain) and will get there close to 1 in the afternoon. Otherwise we will be driving since its about a 6ish hour drive. Driving kind of sucks too, and it would definitely be fun to sit back relax through the trip instead of just driving straight through on I95, which is its own special kind of hell.

I did a lot of international train travel when I was younger. Young people could get discount tickets for trains on the entire European network ... not sure if that is still the case.

Anyway, I would recommend vacationing by train; it is fun, and many interesting things can happen.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Years ago, the Mrs. took the Crescent from New Orleans to Grand Central Station, NY (from fear after 9/11), and she told me it was horrible (cramp quarters, restrooms, food & drink, service, TV inoperative, expensive and not timely)..."Never again on a long-haul, but Regional is OK", she later said. :bored:

On the other hand, the trains (regular, bullet and regional), in Europe (Germany, France, Italy and Spain), are like night and day compared to Amtrak. Coach Class in Europe is like Amtrak's First Class. :001_rolle

proxy.php
"All Aboard"!

Last edited:
I have no experience with trains in the US. But I have taken many trains in the UK! My most memorable train ride was down in Cornwall. From a small village called St. Erth to a little coastal town called St. Ives. Considered Britain's most scenic train ride. It truly was a memorable experience. I am very mad at my self for not taking pictures, but I know that I was there, and that is all that matters.

Isn't the USA mainly "car country" anyway? How much of a long distance rail network is there, and how regular are services? I'm not sure if an extensive rail network would be economically viable anymore, e.g. from coast to coast?

Last edited:
Top Bottom